Port in Charleston S.C. Procedure

Randus62

Great information, thanks all!

Any chance you can tell me what the street names were for the feeder streets or the main street where the lines forms are? I would like to pull a map to get an idea for the "lay of the land".

Just have to take a chill pill that day, I guess! ;-)

Ha Ha, yes, a chill pill would have helped me a great deal!

I can't remember the names of streets, but my advice would be to wait until 2 or so to arrive to port when most people will already be through the line. Or follow the signs exactly to the end of the "official" line. I think that feeder street was given priority over the others, but I can't be certain. We saw the "Cruise Parking" sign, but since it seemed to be pointing away from the ship we assumed it was the exit sign. I think it wrapped around and the traffic cop seemed to be giving it priority over those of us in the straight line.

(I hope this makes sense. . . it's hard to explain.)

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like some of you are experienced Charleston travelers. I am traveling with my husband and toddler this Saturday. Can someone tell me what the check-in procedures involve? Do we need to take off shoes, open bags, etc? Or is it a show paperwork and load stuff on an xray conveyor belt? We just want to pack/dress accordingly, to minimize issues on our end. Thanks.

It sounds like some of you are experienced Charleston travelers. I am traveling with my husband and toddler this Saturday. Can someone tell me what the check-in procedures involve? Do we need to take off shoes, open bags, etc? Or is it a show paperwork and load stuff on an xray conveyor belt? We just want to pack/dress accordingly, to minimize issues on our end. Thanks.

They require nudity for northerners! Lol

I don't remember my relatives having to do shoes... and only randomly with carry-ons. Make sure all meds/passports/tickets are in carry-on. I would have a spare set of clothes - including underwear - in case bags don't make anytime soon. Proof (passports or BC) are required to get on and if you leave it in checked luggage you may not make it as most time they refuse to look for your bags. This is all ports not just Charleston.

We're parking at a friends on IOP and want to make a "drop off the luggage" run. Where do we drop off the luggage if we're not parking in the warehouse? Do we have to wait in the same line as those parking there at the pier? Or is there another line for those dropping off passengers/luggage only? If so, is there signage to that line?

Hoping bobsfamily or someone else very familiar with the procedures can answer this today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

:) ninkb

We're parking at a friends on IOP and want to make a "drop off the luggage" run. Where do we drop off the luggage if we're not parking in the warehouse? Do we have to wait in the same line as those parking there at the pier? Or is there another line for those dropping off passengers/luggage only? If so, is there signage to that line?

Hoping bobsfamily or someone else very familiar with the procedures can answer this today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

:) ninkb

When our relatives came down they brought the car out to our house, played on the beach for a bit and then I rode with them downtown. I went thru the line with them - reason I know about the line - and there was a place to drop off luggage -which is where they got out and I followed signs back out and drove the car to my house. On the day they arrived back they called me once they were getting off and I met them on East Bay Street with their luggage. They had to carry it a block or so but we did not go thru the traffic that was backed up. They brought me home and were going to stay around but had had enough and took off for Atlanta.

I would suggest having your friend do the same or call a cab as leaving the luggage earlier may be a bit of a hassle and I would not want to go thru the traffic twice.

Hope this helps.

Any other questions email rentabob at bellsouth dot net

Archived