How to get to Merida from Progreso, location of Carriage rides, etc...

romans.nine

Hi all,

We are leaving Monday (11-24-08) on the Fantasy and have Cozumel lined up (we have been to Coz several times on diving trips). We were planning on just beach bumming in Progreso, but my DW wants to see the Cathedral and take in some of the architecture of Merida. Once we are dropped off at the end of the peir at Progreso, in which direction to we go to take the bus to Merida? How much is the bus fare (2 adults and 1- 4 year old)? Once the bus drops us off in Merida, which direction to we go to get to the central square? Is the Cathedral in the square? I have read of the carriage rides in Merida. Where are they in relation to the bus drop off point? Does the return bus to Progreso depart at the same point where they drop folks off? I am ok with public transportation, but understand that the buses make several stops along the way so what time should we plan on heading back to Progreso in order to be on the ship by 3pm? I apologize if these seem like simple questions, but I really want to maximize our time in Merida and at least have a game plan. We have been to on Mission trips to Belize, Tapachula Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras and have seen several Myan sites following our time of service , so this time we just wanted to enjoy a city that appears to be a beautiful place. Thanks in advance for the responses; I don't think I have EVER experienced days as slow as these last two! Grace & Peace, Mike and Lisa

Mike and Lisa. When the courtesy bus drops you in Progreso, just ask where the local bus station is. About three blocks. Busses run about every 15 minutes and $3.00 RT. When you arrive at the Merida terminal walk out to the street and turn right. The central plaza in the historical area is about three blocks. There you will find Casa de Montejo, built in 1549 and now serving as a major bank, city hall in the late 1700s, the governor's executive bldg and the cathedral built in 1561. Accross the street from the cathedral, you'll see the carriages lined up. $20/50 min. Coffee is very good anywhere as are the local beeers. Also some very good restaurants. Merida is very safe and photogenic. The people are warm and proud of their culture/history. Have a great time. Will be there for three weeks over Easter. You better get back to packing. LOL

Carry small denominations of currency. Pick up a copy of Yucatan Today (hard copy) before leaving Progreso. It's an exceptional visitor's guide. And also peace with you guys.

Hdawson,

Thanks for the info! You are right about packing; we haven't even STARTED!!! Thanks especially for the heads-up on small bills as I normally use local currency when we travel, but we normally stay for a month or so at a time. I know you guys are excited about 3 weeks during Easter! We will try to leave Merida in good shape for you all! The guides are available at the end of the pier?

Mike and Lisa. Feel free to walk into Casa de Montejo, the bank At the governor's exec bldg (uniformed guards at the entrance) walk in and upstairs to a very unique art exhibit, especially the very large painting in the stairwell, representing how Mayans rerived from corn. Walking north on Calle 60 (same as the cathedral) a stop at Plaza Hildago for that cup of coffee is nice in the sidewalk cafe. Also check out the lobby on the plaza of the Hotel Gran. Other beautiful and very old churches as you stroll up Calle 60. There is an artisan shop on Calle 62 between Calle 58 & 59 ? that has some unique nativity sets that are very Mexican. I've bght several and that reminds me it's time to get one out for the Holidays.

I sure do envy you guys.

John

Yes the Yucatan Todays are available at the pier.

We will Def. check out the Nativity scenes! I can't wait to sample the spiced beer and Lisa is already thinking of some fresh ground coffee! Although we won't have time this trip, a group I'm associated with is interested in reaching out in the rural areas around Merida to see if there is a need for housing, school, or other structural construction/repair. We don't Bible beat people (can't stomach that), but try to improve peoples' living condition so they will have something to maintain/build out from. I am envying your 3 weeks! I'm sure the Easter period will be as exciting in Merida as it was for us in 2002 in Guatamela! We were in Zacapa during Easter had a BLAST! Never let it be said that folks lacking money can't throw a celebration!

Mike and Lisa. If you get a chance you may want to checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com before monday.

After two port calls, I've been back for three two week vacations to Merida and the Yucatan. You see, I prefer being a traveler rather than a tourist and taking that road less traveled. I've traveled to the countryside some. Stayed at a B&B in the small rural town of Santa Elaina and visited the market in Ticul. Beautiful produce and the meats on display were butchered at 4 AM the same day. Great fried pig skins. lol I've also driven on down to Campeche, another beautiful and large city. As for humanitarian needs you could contact the propietor of the B&B in Santa Elaina named the Flycatcher Inn. She an expat and he a Mayan. Very nice couple. http://www.geocities.com/flycatcherinn/index.html

Of course corn is a major crop of the hill country and as you drive along you'll notice the wild turkeys along the roadside. Yes and some stick houses with palm frond roofs. I was fortunate to be in the area during "day of the dead" festivities one year and that was very interesting.

I seem to remember that one of the captains of the Fantasy had organized a program to help support and orphanage in Merida. You might check with him or the cruise director. I'll look to see if I still have that info. Seems that info is now gone from this box.

Merida has a concert or folkloric every night in one of the many plazas and late Sat afternoon, the streets around the central plaza are blocked off for the "weekly" street fair. Great fun for all. Love the Churos fried on the street carts.

Again, have a great time and report back please.

John

For fresh roasted coffee to drink or fresh roasted beans, try the Habana Cafe on Calle 62 at Calle 58 (I think) It's on the corner and there you can also have your Michelena beer. Nicely spiced. I ordered the mix online so I can have it at home.

Funny that you mentioned Bible beaters. Just this afternoon, I watched Michner's "Hawaii". Great book and movie.

Thanks! I will check out these leads and if you do happen to find the info just shoot me an email to thestoreyclanATgmailDOTcom. Michner's book is a great read and simply underscores the reasons I leave God's work to God and understand that He deals with peoples and cultures in His own way; not the Judeo-Christian European method! Always found it kind of funny that people believe God somehow can't show Himself to people apart from the "whipp'em outta hell" mentality. I have found in 20+ years of traveling that people appreciate help, what they don't want is someone attaching strings to that help. OK, I'll get off the soapbox!

I've self-toured Belise City and found a beautiful old, very white church. Quite a few cruisers used to support an orphanage and outreach program on Roatan. My last trip down there we had five large suitcases of supplies. Unfortunately, I had come down with an extreme case of bronchitis and couldn't leave the ship.

For the kido as you walk around the central plaza there is an ice cream parlor. Lots of tropical flavors.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike and Lisa. When the courtesy bus drops you in Progreso, just ask where the local bus station is. About three blocks. Busses run about every 15 minutes and $3.00 RT. When you arrive at the Merida terminal walk out to the street and turn right. The central plaza in the historical area is about three blocks. There you will find Casa de Montejo, built in 1549 and now serving as a major bank, city hall in the late 1700s, the governor's executive bldg and the cathedral built in 1561. Accross the street from the cathedral, you'll see the carriages lined up. $20/50 min. Coffee is very good anywhere as are the local beeers. Also some very good restaurants. Merida is very safe and photogenic. The people are warm and proud of their culture/history. Have a great time. Will be there for three weeks over Easter. You better get back to packing. LOL

Carry small denominations of currency. Pick up a copy of Yucatan Today (hard copy) before leaving Progreso. It's an exceptional visitor's guide. And also peace with you guys.

Say, do you know how close to the pier there are any cambios where I can buy pesos? I'm planning to go to Merida and have heard dollars aren't widely accepted there.

Thanks,

James

James. Only carry small denominations and make sure the bills are in good physical condition. i.e., no tears. For a one day port call, I wouldn't bother changing currency. I've found that most places will take US $s but will use a rate of 10 pesos to 1 dollar. How many pesos do you want to carry back home?

If you do want to exchange for pesos, You might go to Casa de Montejo when you arrive in Merida. Although built in 1549, it now serves as a major bank. It's definitely a sightseeing must on the central plaza. There's also an ATM just inside and traveler's checks are widely accepted.

Archived