Cork or cobh ?

Hi everyone ,

I have booked the short 4 night cruise on Independence of the seas . It has only one stop on this cruise which the brochure says is CORK . I have looked at the map of Southern Ireland and the river up to Cork is very narrow , does the ship actually dock at COBH , a few miles down river ?

Any help on this would be appreciated

Cheers ...:cool::cool::cool:

Hi everyone ,

I have booked the short 4 night cruise on Independence of the seas . It has only one stop on this cruise which the brochure says is CORK . I have looked at the map of Southern Ireland and the river up to Cork is very narrow , does the ship actually dock at COBH , a few miles down river ?

Any help on this would be appreciated

Cheers ...:cool::cool::cool:

Cobh is the port city for Cork. Not much to see in Cohb, but it's just a short distance to Cork.

When we were there this summer we rented a car in Cork and saw many of the sights of southern Ireland.

Rick

In case you are looking for a private tour:

We used http://www.ecoach.ie/ to tour out of Cobh to Cork, Blarney, and Kinsale. This is a small company with great service and pricing. The bus used for our group held about 16 people. We booked early and paid only 20 Euros per person. The price goes up the closer you get to the date of the tour. We were *very* happy with this tour and the services offered.

Here is the specific link with description of tour: http://www.ecoach.ie/blarney_bus_tour.php

Welcome to CC!

This is taken from DH's trip in August:

Cobh -we arrived at 3pm where it appeared the whole town was out to meet us, band and and farmers market. Had prehired a car via http://www.greatislandcarrentals.com. €80 for 24hrs. Drove up to kiss the Blarney stone, entrance fee €10, and then back for a few glasses of the local brew before dinner at Johnny Rockets.

Next morning we were up early for a round of golf at Kinsale Golf Club which cost €90 including the hire of golf clubs and trolleys, followed by lunch at Fishy Fishy Restaurant (guess what they serve!) in Kinsale, which is very highly recommended.

Very easy to drive around Ireland, very pretty countryside.

THANKS EVERYONE ... For you very prompt replies . I have been on the Fred Olsen page and waited quite a while for one reply but this has been amazing !

I will take on all of you advice , The town of Cobh may be small but I shall explore anyway ... and to have the Blarney castle just down the road is a real bonus

Cheers everyone for the posts ....:):):)

I have been to Cobh, and I prefer it over Cork city. It has an immigration museum, which is emotional for anyone with irish roots. It was the last port of call for the Titanic, so many of the passengers are buried in the graveyard there. There was a White STar Line recreated office in town, too, when I was there.

This company was helpful

THANKS EVERYONE ... For you very prompt replies . I have been on the Fred Olsen page and waited quite a while for one reply but this has been amazing !

I will take on all of you advice , The town of Cobh may be small but I shall explore anyway ... and to have the Blarney castle just down the road is a real bonus

Cheers everyone for the posts ....:):):)

we were in Cobh (pronounced COVE by the way) in Sept on our TA form Harwich to Boston. We loved Cobh--we didn't venture to Cork, but walked all over Cobh. Thre is a magnificanet church that over looks the harbour. The townspeople were wonderful. I didn't see them welcome us in , but they were certainly there to wish us bon voyage--band & all. We talked to several townspeople on the street--very friendly folks. would love to go back there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived