RCI VS Princess

Schasz

I am hoping that there are a few fellow cruise addicts that have cruised both lines as my family has cruised on Carnival and RCI (Enchantment). We are looking at another Caribbean cruise with my DW and daughters ages 16 and 21. If we go with RCI then we will most likely book The Mariner, and I understand Princess has a ship or two that would rival The Mariner in size.

Can anyone who has cruised both lines give me the pros and cons as they experienced them.

John & Shari

We've been on the Grand and the Adventure (Mariner's sister ship). The voyager class is a bit larger than the Grand Class. For a 16 & 21 year old, I would take the Mariner, as it has more activities. It has the rock climbing, roller blading, ice skating, royal promenade with the parades. The horse races are by the pool with numerous other pool activities. Princess cruises doesn't have as many activities, esp. poolside. On Princess the horse races were in a lounge.

Princess does have better food IMO, and fresh water pools. I like the cabins and the overall beauty of the ship on RCCL. The Grand class has many small areas to try to eliminate the overall huge ship feeling. I did feel crowded on Princess after a show in the photo area. I also felt crowded on RCCL just before 2nd seating in the royal promenade.

You'll have a great time on both ships, but I prefer RCCL.

Tracey

Until we cruise again. . . . . .

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;6;13;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Premier Oceanic-Bahamas, 2/89
Rhapsody-East. Carib. 12/97
Grand Princess-East. Car. 5/00
Radiance-Hawaii,10/2001
Adventure-South. Car. 7/2002
Brilliance-Panama Canal 12/2003 "Happy New Year!"
Mariner-East. Carib. 6/2004

Tra4,
Thanks for your comments, we were leaning towards the Mariner anyway because if the two girls are having a lousy time after we chose Princess then our life would be sheer hell for that week. We are looking at taking a cruise around the Christmas Holidays so it's important that everyone is having a great time.

John & Shari

Your daughters will probably have more fun aboard RCL's Voyager ships since there is lots of activities for them along with Johnny Rockets.

Tra4's comments about the food being better and the fresh water pools on Princess is true and while you'll have a great cruise with either line,I believe your daughters will enjoy RCL more.

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

cruiserforlife,
I posed the same question on the Princess cruise critic board. The folks that like Princess better have mentioned the pool and the food along with the service levels being better on Princess.

Our experience was that Carnival's food was also better than RCI's. However, we fall into the weird group where the quality of the food won't be the deciding factor on going on this particular cruise.

Your mention of the things to do will be a huge factor on this cruise as it is a big part of our two daughters Christmas and it is important to us that they are having a fun time. It seems to me that is where RCI may have it over Princess. There will be a time when service and food quality may be more of a factor in our decision, but not on this particular cruise.

John & Shari

I find PRINCESS to be more relaxing.
RCI to be more "busy and fun."
Ships were about equal...beautiful. I think they both are the BEST!

My kids had the time of their lives on NAVIGATOR. Much to do for teens, or kids in general.

Navigator of the Seas- 12-13-2003 (7 days) Western
Ocean Princess - 02/2002 (10 days)Southern
Enchantment of the Seas - 02/1999 (7 days) Western

Archived