Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort

moonstaring

I need a little help here. At the suggestion for several posts, I bid on priceline for a resort in San Juan. Some how my bid got accpeted for the Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort. I was really excitied when I saw it since I saw that it was so nice and then I realized I had a major problem, it so far out of San Juan that we were gonig to have a major transportation issue and there is no way we can cancel the reservation.

My husband and I are going on the Caribbean Princes Southern Caribbean Cruis on Feb 1st and are booked to stay at this hotel from Jan 29th to Feb 1st.

We don't drive. Neither of us have our drivers licences. We know the hotel has a shuttle and I think we can afford to pay the $35 pp each way. But now we can't go see San Juan on the two full days we planed. Now, I have heard that PR has a very informal transit system called Publicos and I have read that they take a long time to get from point A to point B, but I have heard they are also very cheap.

Has any one taken them between the Rio Mar and San Juan before? and vice versa? We really would like to hear information on this, other wise, were going to be stuck at the resort the whole time and will only get to explore San Juan post-cruise as we are staying overnight after the cruise in San Juan and flying out the Monday Morning.

Please Help.

Cayla

Victoria, BC

The resort is lovely, but yes, you will be kind of stuck there if you don't drive.

They offer "tours" of area sights, but they are pretty costly. Some tour operators offer transportation if you do their tour (like the BioBay etc).

The local bus "system" is terrible. You can do it, but it will painful and long.

The "Publicos" are vans, mostly without AC. They go on routes- To get to SJ, you would need to get down to RT 3 (probably 2 mile walk from hotel). Then wait for the Publico (no set time schedule). They go to terminals, where you find the next one to take you in the direction you want.

You will either get a local one that goes first to Rio Grande station, then Loiza, or a direct one to Loiza.

Either way, you should end up in Loiza at the station, where you get on the C45 bus, which will take you to the A5 bus which goes into Old San Juan.

It is cheap and an adventure! I have not done it personally, but we have had guests that did it. This is what they did. But there may be other routes that can be more direct... you can ask the driver (he or someone in the van may speak English). Or ask the hotel (I am sure some of the employees use the system).

Maybe post on Roll Call about if someone else is staying there, you can car pool or something.

The bus system operates in the metro area, outside the metro area (outside San Juan, Bayamón, Carolina, Guaynabo..) you have the Públicos but it really takes FOREVER to go from the eastern municipality of Rio Grande (where Rio Mar is located) to San Juan. It is exhausting

Quite frankly, unless you're extremely adventurous (and I mean that in a "Survivor" kind of way LOL), I wouldn't think of taking a público for the reasons stated above. It really isn't worth it. It can easily take 3 hours from Río Grande to OSJ.

I'm really sorry you're disappointed in the hotel, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. I'm a "make lemonade" person ;) and in your situation, I'd just decide that the first two days are exactly what I need to get me in the mood for the cruise :cool: and just enjoy the amenities at the resort. Maybe they offer a tour to visit the rain forest, which is close by. Otherwise, swim, read, enjoy the tropical break and try to make the best of it. :)

BTW, DH and I love Victoria. We spent a few days there a couple of years ago, and stopped all-too-briefly on the Star this summer. Lovely place, lovely people!

Since you don't drive, take the hotel's shuttle and then just take a cab to the rainforest from the hotel. There is so much to do and explore in the Rio-Grande area, you will be fine, you'll just have to hit OSJ on another trip. The resort is fantastic, you will love it. Click on my AOS review link below and go to the end for loads of pics and info from our 4 day post-cruise at the resort. (You'll definitely have some good lemonade!)

What about taxi between the hotel and Playa Fortuna? How much are theses?

Also, Playa Fortuna looks like it on the 3 route. Do you think we would be able to catch a publico from there?

We want to try it at least one day to get to San Juan. If we think it is too hard we will stay at the resort the rest of the time.

Also, Playa Fortuna looks like it on the 3 route. Do you think we would be able to catch a publico from there?

We want to try it at least one day to get to San Juan. If we think it is too hard we will stay at the resort the rest of the time.

If you really want to hit OSJ, then I would take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and then get a cab from there, I would think that would be much cheaper then a cab the whole way. Then do the same thing in reverse to get back.

Well, you may be better going to Balneario Monserrate. Fortuna is off RT 3 a few blocks, through a neighboorhood. Monserrate is right along RT 3 and it will be easier to get a taxi for the way back. That taxi rate won't be crazy expensive, as it is only a few miles away. It would be metered rates.

Unfortunately, taxis can't go into the rainforest. They can drop you at the visitor center El Portal, and there is one trail there, but it is not very impressive.

Palmer is a small town directly in the opposite direction from the Rio Mar at RT 3. You could probably walk there (maybe a mile from the Rio Mar's front gate).

But other than a Post Office and a few gift shops, there is nothing there. It is from Palmer that you start up the mountain to get to El Yunque rain forest (about 5 km to El Portal).

El Portal is the name of the Visitor's Center of the rain forest.

Palmer is a small town directly in the opposite direction from the Rio Mar at RT 3. You could probably walk there (maybe a mile from the Rio Mar's front gate).

But other than a Post Office and a few gift shops, there is nothing there. It is from Palmer that you start up the mountain to get to El Yunque rain forest (about 5 km to El Portal).

El Portal is the name of the Visitor's Center of the rain forest.

We are going to have one morning at the rain forest. Is doing the La Mina falls trail a good way to spend the time to get a good feel of the rain forest?

Also, any restaurants between the rain forest and Wyndham Rio Mar that you would recommend for breakfast and dinner.

Thanks....

"Carolrick:We are going to have one morning at the rain forest. Is doing the La Mina falls trail a good way to spend the time to get a good feel of the rain forest?

Also, any restaurants between the rain forest and Wyndham Rio Mar that you would recommend for breakfast and dinner.

Thanks.... "

La Mina is a nice trail ( I like the water along the way) but it is a bit tough on the way up with all those stairs. But if you take your time, it is ok. You can take Big Tree trail, it is a bit easier.

La Mina Falls is very popular, so it can get crowded (which I think detracts from the beauty). If you are not opposed to going "off-road" a bit, Juan Diego Falls is just as large and lovely, and you may have it all to yourselves (it is not very well known).

My other favorite trails are the Mt Britton trail and Bano de Oro trail. The Mt Britton tower has great views and Bano de Oro is just pretty!

Which ever trail you do, just take your time and enjoy the sights, and sounds around you.

For food between those 2 points- there is a bakery right on the corner of RT 3 and the road Rio Mar is on "Ishmar" (sp??). You can get breakfast snadwiches/and pastries. They also make a good pizza for dinner.

Dinner:

Don Pepe is a casual local place just a few hundred feet west on Rt 3 or Antojito's just as you start up Rio Mar's road. As you come down from the rain forest there is Las Vegas, but it is not always open and a bit pricey.

Archived