Saving money in Grand Cayman

mnlovesdisney

We are now trying to do cruise as cheaply as possible. We want to go to the town of Hell and also possibly spend some time at beach and/or shopping. Would it be cheaper to do the "Best of Cayman Island Tour" through Carnival Cruise Lines or do independently through other tour company or taxi service and how safe is this? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Try info@hawgstours.com, I'm scheduled for a cruise in January and I received a really good rate from Mr. Eckstein. I cruise every year, and I never use the cruise line's tours. I was told that in most cases the cruise line uses the same tour operators but have to charge those high prices because the cruise line gets such a big chunk.

We are now trying to do cruise as cheaply as possible. We want to go to the town of Hell and also possibly spend some time at beach and/or shopping. Would it be cheaper to do the "Best of Cayman Island Tour" through Carnival Cruise Lines or do independently through other tour company or taxi service and how safe is this? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

I'd rent a car and drive around and do these things myself. By the time you figure in the cost of the excursion and a tip, it's almost always cheaper to rent a car. Grand Cayman is a very safe island so no matter what you do. Just use the same precautions you use at home and you should be fine. Grand Cayman is expensive, safe, and a wonderful place to visit. We call it the "Beverly Hills of the Caribbean." BTW, I am a big chicken when it comes to foreign travel, but I have no problems going out on my own while we're on GC. :)

We always used Andy's car rental. :)

If you really don't want to rent a car, then I'd book an excursion on my own. The cruise lines excursions are usually more expensive. We use Captain Marvin's for snorkeling, but they also have an island tour.

There will be multiple taxi/van drivers at the pier where you can pick up an excursion--just find a rate you like that goes where you want--no worries. GC is very safe and a beautiful island. You may end up with others from your ship or another if you don't book privately. This can be a good thing, or bad depending on how lucky you are. :p Have a great time.

There is not that much to Hell, at least on Grand Cayman. I think the cheapest way to get there would be public bus (actually vans), at $2.50 (last time I was on Grand Cayman) per person, each way.

On the way to Hell or on the way back, you could stop along 7 mile beach, if desired.

If so, then it would be an additional $2.50ish per person to get back to town.

Most shopping is at or near the tender docks where you will be dropped off, so the only cost there is what it costs to walk.

I think booking independent of the ship sounds great if it's safe. What is there to see if I wanted to do a sight-seeing & shopping tour there?

FYI, GC is not a place to shop! You will find prices higher than in an exclusive dept store in the U.S. How about a $10 Whopper Burger?

• 3 weeks later...

We have been to GC twice - on a cruise and for a week at Tortuga Resort. We rented cars for the week we were there and never had a problem driving around or feeling unsafe. The people are friendly and the Island is easy to navigate.

On note - they do drive on the left side so be prepared.

Have fun - Caymans is a great place!

As I recall the restaurant prices are in Cayman $. A couple of years ago, that meant that things were about 10% higher in US dollars. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is now.

You should probably make sure that you know what currency you are using before you make your plans.

Archived