Better location to see ruins? Belize or Cozumel

AdamInKC

I am going on a Carnival cruise in January and want to visit ruins in either Belize or Cozumel. I have never been to either location so want to make sure I get the most out of the trip. What is the best site to visit the ancient Mayan ruins?

We just got back from the western side and chose to go on the 4 1/2 hr trip to Altun Ha. City bus tour then Altun Ha. It was VERY good! We got a chance to see the City of Belize, which was not nice, but every American NEEDS to see the equivilant of 3rd world living! The ruins were GREAT! I was afraid the area would be small and disapointing, based on other reviews, but was pleasantly surprised to see 8-10 large structures in a beautiful setting. I'd recommend it. My understanding is that the latter is an all day event spending a great deal of time traveling to the ruins.... We had probably 1 1/2 - 2 hours at the ruins, plenty of time to hear our guide's VERY knowledgable info (name was Tiffany), climb to the top of the largest Temple, do a little shopping for BEAUTIFUL Belizean wood carvings and relax. Altun Ha was GREAT!

We are touring the Xunantunich ruins when we stop in Belize City in January. Doing the HAL sponsored tour. It's a LONG day (7.5 hours) but the pictures linked to from this thread made up out mind for us on whether to go to Xunantunich or Alta Hun

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=874368&highlight=xunantunich

some cruise lines don't off lamanai...

on our NCL cruise, we did lamanai...but they weren't going to Xunantunich. both are all day trips, but the tours from Xunantunich had been late so often, NCL wasn't do it on our cruise.

either tour would be great.

the boat ride, to lamanai, was outstanding. standing at the site, you can't believe they are "ruins"..the site is so well preserved (by the jungle).

photos, of lamanai, are in my webshot link (in signature)..to learn more about any of the belize mayan sites you can go click here

You had asked about the ruins in Belize or Cozumel. If you are going to do any snorkeling, I would recommend snorkeling in Belize. My sister-in-law is from California and goes to Hawaii alot. She said that the snorkeling in Belize was the best she has ever done. So that being said, that leaves Cozumel for the ruins. We snorkeled in Cozumel and my sister-in-law (she loves to snorkel) went with us there. She said that out of Belize or Cozumel, the snorkeling was better in Belize because of the coral. Although the snorkeling was good in Cozumel also. We saw a school of fish and a baracuda. My husband and I went to Tulum a long time ago and it was very interesting.

i have not been to Belize (yet) but i have been to Tulum in Mexico and i have also been to Chichen Itza (not a choice i am just using it as a comparison)

Tulum is VERY small in comparison to a ruin like Chichen Itza (located probably about 6 hours inland) Tulum is in an absolutely BEAUTIFUL spot right on the coast and is very picturesque however, you can do it fairly quickly since it is small.

if there is something else you are interested in doing in Cozumel like snorkel i would go with that. if you are really interested in Tulum it is worth it but just know it is relatively small

Archived