Bora Bora and Tahitian Princess excursions

Millstone

Hi all,

I'm reposting this because it garnered no replies - heading too vague I think.

Charlie, I want to thank you so much for you fabulous reply to my questions on the CC forum. It is terrific to have first hand knowledge of a place. Just a couple more questions for South Seas adventurers:

I emailed Jeanne Tinorua - no reply yet - and Nono Levard (email nono.levard@mail.pf came back as non existant. Thank you Meherio for the great suggestions. They sound just the ticket - any other way of reaching them?

My friend has been on the Tahitian Princess and remembers an up close, in the water with the rays excursion from a previous sail, but I think the Princess one in Bora Bora is just a watch from the boat experience so we'll probably pass. Does anyone recall any ray swimming in the Islands?

We're in Bora Bora for a good besides those above? We'll be on snorkel excursions in Huahine, Raiatea, and likely Moorea. We have our own gear and could just get a taxi to a beach, but there's always the danger of getting stranded. Has anyone just set off with a friendly cabbie?

On Rangiroa we actually dock at Avatora I believe and I heard about a fellow from "Rangiroa Activites" who has snorkel trips for about $50. But the email on his website doesn't work. I believe his tours can be arranged at the Kia Oro so will give that a shot. Anyone familiar with him? I'm still thinking of perching on the Kia Oro beach, tho' Charlie says it's not a great beach but the snorleling is good. I'm sure if we quaff a few beers they won't toss us out. Any better ideas for Rangi?

Again thanks to you all,

Verna

Hi all,

My friend has been on the Tahitian Princess and remembers an up close, in the water with the rays excursion from a previous sail, but I think the Princess one in Bora Bora is just a watch from the boat experience so we'll probably pass. Does anyone recall any ray swimming in the Islands?

We're in Bora Bora for a good besides those above? We'll be on snorkel excursions in Huahine, Raiatea, and likely Moorea. We have our own gear and could just get a taxi to a beach, but there's always the danger of getting stranded. Has anyone just set off with a friendly cabbie?

On Rangiroa we actually dock at Avatora I believe and I heard about a fellow from "Rangiroa Activites" who has snorkel trips for about $50. But the email on his website doesn't work. I believe his tours can be arranged at the Kia Oro so will give that a shot. Anyone familiar with him? I'm still thinking of perching on the Kia Oro beach, tho' Charlie says it's not a great beach but the snorleling is good. I'm sure if we quaff a few beers they won't toss us out. Any better ideas for Rangi?

Again thanks to you all,

Verna

Verna - The fellow you're referring to is Rene Fels - a very nice guy. He responds sort of to e-mail (this is always dicey at best), the best way to connect with him is by phone. You can book his excursions through the activity desk at Kia Ora - this will be at least a 20 minute trip if you do indeed tender (there are no facilities for big ships at all in Avatora, so I think you'll be going through Tiputa and tendering there.). The KO won't toss you out, but they don't want you using any of their facilities either - you will be cautioned upon the ship to not use the pool or any of the chairs, umbrellas, etc., Do expect to pay a lot for the beer. Everything in Rangi is very expensive.

When we did the ray excursion in Bora Bora, we swam with them,but that was ahilwe ago. However, we had a great time swimming with the manta rays in Rangi and the sting rays (and sharks) on Moorea as well.

No problem grabbing a taxi and heading out to a beach in Bora Bora - one of the best ones is a stone throw from Bloody Mary's. The ship will operate a shuttle there - 500CFP (a couple, we think) - on a regular basis. Hard part about the taxi is not getting one from the dock, but getting one at a beach other than Pofai Bay.

If you are considering the Princess excursion of "Highlights of Bora Bora", I would have to say you might want to reconsider.

We found it boring, and the guide did not do a good job with providing facts and information about the island.

It was essentially a ride on the road that runs along the shoreline. Also, there were 3 stops at places where they sold and demonstrated pareo tying. Definitely too much wasted time.

We were quite disappointed, because all the other highlights tour we took on other cruises were so good.

Thank you Charlie and Flamomo, Terrific help.The Bora Bora beach near Bloody mary's sounds wonderful. Just th spot for a swim - snorkeling too, perhaps. But the warning about a cab back is good. I'm fairly sure the ship won't wait. Is Pofai a good loafin'/snorkeling beach too? Would "mary" be able to call a taxi at the other one.

I will so be toasting you both from various bars and beaches in FP.

Cheers,

Verna

There is a regular shuttle back to the ship that stops in front of Bloody Mary's about every half hour or so. The restaurant would also call you a cab. Pofai is a short walk up the road (turn left - away from the ship) to get to the sandy beach. It is a very popular beach with the locals

I'm guessing you can snorkel, but there is a lot of 'water action' i.e. swimming going on, so you may need to go out some distance before you get to the fish. You might want to try snorkeling from the pier in front of BM's as there isn't much swimming going on there

I'm not sure when you will hit the island, but note that Bloody Mary's is closed on Sundays - just in case that impacts you. The shuttles will still run though.

Again. many thanks for your fab suggestions, esp. Charlie..what a doll!!!. I'm off Saturday for my 10 days in Paradise. I've connected with Rene on Rangi and he'll be "down to get me in a taxi honey" I'm so excited. In Bora Bora I'll probably hit the beach at Matira and the dock by Bloody Mary's tho' one o our days there is a Sunday.

Anyway, be assured that toasts will be made to absent friends.

Warm regards,

Verna

Archived