Sandals, how long to make

Regarding the sandals made by poet sandal-makers shop. How long does it take to get them done? Can you wait on them, come back in a couple of hours, or what. We will only be in Athens for the day on our stop. Would love to get a couple of pairs done Thanks for Info.

Barbara

I don't know about Athens, but the sandal maker at Pompeii had a regular shoe store, and if they didn't have what you wanted already made up, they would make them right as you wait. Maybe 20-30 minutes.

Hopefully someone familiar with shop in Athens can give you more info.

I invision them to be wonderfully soft and fitted perfectly. Do you think that is the case????

Barbara

The Poet Sandal-maker in Athens http://www.melissinos-poet.com/eng/sandals.html carries a large stock of sandals and will make changes to custom fit them for you while you wait (I'm not sure what the situation is with custom-making them though).

The selection of styles and sizes is good, but they are not what I would describe as 'wonderfully soft'. When I went in, I had on my Mephisto sandals, which are so comfortable I can walk all day in them (which I often do on our port days).... so when I tried on the flat soled/no arch support sandals there, I had a hard time envisioning wearing them other than for very brief periods of times ... and decided to forego buying them rather than add another pair of sandals to my closet. The shop is worth a visit though and I enjoyed reading all of the tributes and newspapers articles in his store window. When you are in Monastiraki Square, it's just a few minutes walk away.

i did buy a pair of sandals in the Athens shops ... they fit wonderfullt and like all leather get better with time. Since I am used to conditioning leather for my horse I asked what to use, it was suggested that olive oil was what he uses. I tend to walk barfoot much of the time so lack of arch support wasn't a problem, but I agree with Susan--I did not walk out wearing the sandals, I now where them in the summer.

Finding the shops was one of the things I wanted to do and well worth the time, but I had done alot of research about the shop and the poet and his son so it was more that a shopping shop to me.

Thanks for the info. Of course now I am a little concerned about the lack of arch support. I don't to well in a really flat shoe so we'll see. I'll go and try on and maybe will buy or maybe not. Should be fun to at least see the shop.

Barbara

Thanks for the info. Of course now I am a little concerned about the lack of arch support. I don't to well in a really flat shoe so we'll see. I'll go and try on and maybe will buy or maybe not. Should be fun to at least see the shop.

Barbara

I just bought a pair of his sandals. They are hanging up all over the store and when you tell him your style choice from the pictures and your size he pulls them off of a rack and fits them to your feet. They are a flat sandal with no support but there are many styles that have straps which can hold your foot. I tried mine on again for the first time today but had some difficulty readjusting them. I need to try it again but I was told by a college student that was in the store that they conform to your feet and are wonderful. She sold me on them so I will try them again. They cost approx. $35 but the experience was worth the price.

Archived