Transporting your Wedding Dress

allzi

I was on American the other day, which i never fly, and they hung up my bridal shower dress without me even asking- they did that as soon as I walked in the door.

I am pretty sure southwest does not have that same option, but southwest seems to on time for me way often than american... that is usually important, for a wedding dress transport-american may be the better option.

We flew AirTran and they did not have a closet, so my dress went in the overhead bin. I highly recommend investing in a portable hand steamer (about $70 at Target). I used it for my wedding dress, my MOH dress, my hubby's shirt, and we used it a bunch during the rest of the cruise.

It definitely depends on the airline and the specific aircraft (some smaller aircraft, like regional jets & turboprops, don't have closets--even if they are American, United, etc.). On smaller planes the overhead bins may not accommodate a dress (much smaller than bins on jets), but they will allow you to check items at the door of the plane and pick them back up there. Check the type of plane you will be on and have a backup plan if you can't store it on the plane with you.

Also, please visually check the overhead bin before placing your dress in there. I've seen sodas and other things spill/leak out of bags before in the bins.

I literally stuffed all my wedding attire in a large hold all then arranged for the ship's laundry to press the dress once on board - granted the dress was not a massive big fluffy affair, however it may be an option for some, and it did take all the stress out of transporting the dress !

It depends on the airline and the size of the plane... Dont worry about the steamer... I had our ship steam it for us and we had no problems! Have fun! I enjoy traveling with the dress we got treated so nice by everyone!!! I want to bring the bag on our next cruise!

I've been told by Delta they will do everything they can to accomodate my dress but be prepared to put it in the overhead bin if the closet is full.

Same thing was said to me by American Airlines.

I was so nervous that morning, prior to boarding - I had no idea what I would have done if my dress were to be wrinkled.

When I actually got there and carried my dress onto the airplane (in the Davids Bridal garment bag) the flight attendants got really excited and actually made room for my dress - even though our flight was completely full and the closet was full. Then right after takeoff they brought over 2 flutes of champagne and wouldnt let us pay for anything during the entire flight (including more drinks and headphones). They also gave us a full bottle of wine as we were getting off the plane. It was honestly THE BEST flight ever. I feel that we were very lucky and am still greatful for their kindness even now.

It depends on the airline and the size of the plane... Dont worry about the steamer... I had our ship steam it for us and we had no problems! Have fun! I enjoy traveling with the dress we got treated so nice by everyone!!! I want to bring the bag on our next cruise!

Do you remember how much it costs to have the cruise line do it? I am planning on doing it and was just wondering what it is going to run me. Thanks :)

I may be able to help some of you. I folded my dress very neatly and put it in a space bag, then sucked the air out of it right before we left for our flight. I then packed the dress in my carry on suitcase. I also packed a travel steamer in my suitcase and when I got to our hotel (pre-cruise) I pulled the dress out and it was good as new! I didnt even need the steamer really.

I know some of you may have a heart attack just thinking about this, but I did give it a trial run a few weeks prior so I knew the dress was going to be okay. Also keep in mind that you will be dragging this dress through the airport and shoving it in the overhead compartment if there is a full flight! The more compact the better!

Just an idea!

My fiancee and I are having this issue now. My original plan was to ship it to him Mom's house, she lives in Florida. But now that I physically have my dress in my possession, I just can't stand the thought of shipping it! He thinks carrying it will be a huge hassle, and he's probably right. I'm shipping alot of stuff to his Mom's, but the dress will stay with me! I told him it would be WAY more of hassle if my dress didn't make it to the wedding!

Do you remember how much it costs to have the cruise line do it? I am planning on doing it and was just wondering what it is going to run me. Thanks :)

It was really cheep ($10-20) and worth the hassle. My steward took it from me and had it in the room later in the day. My wife had to go in the room before me because she didnt want me to see the dress.. :D

ENJOY!

My fiancee and I are having this issue now. My original plan was to ship it to him Mom's house, she lives in Florida. But now that I physically have my dress in my possession, I just can't stand the thought of shipping it! He thinks carrying it will be a huge hassle, and he's probably right. I'm shipping alot of stuff to his Mom's, but the dress will stay with me! I told him it would be WAY more of hassle if my dress didn't make it to the wedding!

It is not that bad... You get treated very nice by everyone!!! "Oh look at the newlyweds!) I want to bring the empty bag with us for our next cruise! :cool:

Archived