Short stay in Southampton-what to see and do.

venango

Especially being on the QM2 a visit to the Maritime Museum should be quite interesting. There are remains from and information about the maritime history of Southampton and many ships including the original Queen Mary and the Titanic.
As Southampton has lost more than 500 people on the Titanic many memorials remember them. Thus the Titanic trail is also very interesting. Note: Her deperature point was just next to the current berth at the Queen Elizabeth terminal. The trail leads along the port and through parks and the historic main street.
Another nice walk is alongside the walls. Free guided tours are offered every day in the season starting in front of the bargate, the historic main gate to the city. Just check on the net if it will be offered in April or if you will be there on a weekend.
The medieval merchant house is almost 800 years old and demonstrates the way of life back than. Audio guides are available.
There are more museums and churches but not all be can seen in seven hours.
Enjoy your visit.

You can "Walk the Walls" from the Maritime Museum. There is also another museum down the wall walk about a block which has some Roman artifacts.

I was not able to walk all around the walls, but I was told it takes about 45 minutes.

I'm not sure where you can get a listing of all the Titanic and other memorials but my cab driver told me about them. I just didn't have the time to do all of this. I'd be willing you could find a willing cab driver to take you around to some of them.

There are various web-pages about Southampton
e.g. [url]www.visit-southampton.co.uk[/url]
[url]www.southampton.gov.uk/leisure/tourism/default.asp#0[/url]
Latter includes a map with sights at [url]www.southampton.gov.uk/leisure/tourism/cruise/a-guide-for-cruise-visitors-to-the-city.asp[/url]
You can get a booklet about the Titanic trail at the tourist office. A short description is at [url]www.thisishampshire.net/hampshire/southampton/shipping/titanic/trail.html[/url]
Everything is within walking distance.

• 3 weeks later...
Take a short-ish (20 mile) cab ride to Portsmouth to see/tour H.M.S. Victory (Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar and still the Royal Navy's Home Command flagship) and associated naval museums. Especially with 2005 marking the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. Arrange this with a local mini-cab firm such as West Quay Cars (+44 700 0700 0700). see also [url="http://www.hms-victory.com/"]http://www.hms-victory.com/[/url]

Of course, there is nothing at all of interest in Southampton, but, as a Pompey boy, I would say that wouldn't I?

If you've got 7 hours in Southampton, I personally would visit HMS Victory in Porstmouth, its wonderful. If not have you considered visiting Stonehenge, probably about 1 and a half hours drive away? If you want any info on personal tours, contact me at my e-mail address. Its the West Quay shopping centre in Southampton, quite nice, but not up to American stanards.

There is always the New Forest, which is a beautiful National Park. This is where I live, you would need a driver to take you around, its just beautiful. Only a 15 minute drive away. Also the coastal towns of Bournemouth, Christchurch etc are probably 45 minutes drive. Lots to consider.

[email="cheryl@bcfinch.freeserve.co.uk"]cheryl@bcfinch.freeserve.co.uk[/email]

It would be nice if Cunard had a package of an Eastern crossing, a 3 night stay (while they run a short cruise), and a Western crossing. Fifteen nights in all starting on a Saturday. That would fit right into a 2 week vacation from work.

That's almost what our British friends will be able to do next year with a crossing, stay in NYC while Cunard runs the 4th of July cruise, and cross back home afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't agree that West Quay Shopping Center is not up to American standards. I think it is far superior to any American shopping center, and I've been to many American malls. I could easily spend over 7 hours at West Quay and shopping on High Street. The layout is so unusual; perhaps that's why I liked it so much.

One of the best parts of West Quay is the beautiful John Lewis store. The restaurant is lovely with large windows overlooking the harbor and Southampton. Definitely a must for a snack or tea.

We sometimes spend a couple of nights in Southampton. I agree the new West Quay shopping centre is very good, but we like to jump on a Red Funnel Ferry and go across to Cowes and browse, it is quite a charming little place. Ferries are frequent and takes about half an hour.

• 1 year later...

Archived