cruise insurance

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know much about insurance. My wife got it for several trips but I have stopped that. The vacation is paid so I am out the same cash I would be if I went. No great loss.

However, you might be interest in the health insurance part. Also I have little risk that my work would cause me to cancel and if it did they would pay me. My main risk is being sick. I fly into port a day early to "insure" against late arival. If you were not doing that I can see putting that money into insurance. My feeling is a third party will give you better coverage. There are a few posts and some comments on third pary insurance co's so spend some time going through the boards. It should be worth your time.

Check out insuremytrip.com They have a bunch of different policies that you can compare to ensure that you are getting the best coverage for you. I bought at the time of purchase because I wanted to make sure that pre-existing conditions are covered as I am traveling with my mom who has a chronic health problem, which could cause a cancellation. I bought primary insurance. My biggest concern was the medical evacuation and trip cancellation coverage due to traveling with my mom. I picked a policy which would allow us to cancel and if she has to be evacuated I can accompany her. Hope this helps!

I get insurance not so much to cover the cruise expense if I cancel for a covered reason though of course that is valuable, but for the medical expenses and evacuation cost, and repatriation costs if anything happened on board or or in a foriegn port.

It costs a HUGE amount of money can be 25k to over 100k for evacaution from a ship depending on where you are at the time.

I also get it within the Pre existing clause wavier period since both Husband and I have conditions. That clause would also apply to those that would be considered family memebers but not traveling with you, say our mother for instance should something happen to her while you were on your trip and you needed to return home.

Don't ever cruise without insurance unless you are independently wealthy.

that said I usually select mine from Insuremytrip.com

Archived