Istanbul Turkish Baths

sparky-cruise

• 2 weeks later...

Was just in Istanbul (not on a cruise) and went to the bath. I cant remember the name of it, but it was the oldest one in the city (300 years old). It was a interesting place. It cost approximately 35 dollars for the complete service. It was not a pleasant massage. I think that we were bruised the following day. But it was a nice experience, and would probably try it again one day.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

My experience was just the opposite- I think it was the same bath though, it has been used in several movies. Did you use the Men's or Women's bath?

The womens is a big steamy marble room, topped by a dome with skylights in it. Around the perimiter there are water spouts coming out of the wall every 15 feet or so, spilling into a basin. You sit on a bench near one of these for a while, getting aclimatized, and pouring water over yourself. After a while it is your turn for the masseuse. The one I had sat me on the floor, then started washing me with a loofah and soap. SHe very tenderly scrubbed arms, legs and back, then, while I was still soapy, had me lay on the marble dias in the middle of the room, where she gently massaged each limb. It was paradise. In fact, I loved it so much it is the main reason we are taking another Istanbul cruise in April!

Archived