Public Bus to Nelson's Dockyard?

Stacey779

I know there are several threads on public buses in Antigua on this board, but I haven't seen any that tell you if you can get to Nelson's Dockyard using the bus system. Does anyone know if they have a stop at Nelson's? If so, do you have specific directions on how we would get there (bus # or route)?

I know we could book a tour and go there, but I think we're just going to wing it when we get to Antigua and either go to Nelson's Dockyard or a beach. I know we can get to the beaches using the bus, but I'm just not sure about the dockyard. I've tried to look this up using Google but I haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance! :D

We booked a tour using Gordon and he was absolutley tremendous. We had our own private tour for 4 people and it was $40PP. For the money, you cannot get a better tour. Drinks are provided and you get to see the entire island as well as the beach. 6-7 hours for tour. Very informative and yes you go to the Dockyard. I cannot recommend this tour enough.

There are two main bus terminals in St. Johns. All of St. Johns is walkable. Online resources indicate that hotels keep bus schedules. Presumably one could obtain one at the main terminal adjacent the city market.

Nelson's Dockyard is immediately adjacent and part of English Harbor which is also adjacent the more spread out community of Falmouth (on Falmouth Bay). These two areas make up one of the more significant communities on the island. I would be amazed if regular bus service wasn't available. (I was there two weeks ago and I noted a bus stop with folks waiting in English Harbor; service may be intermittant)

Using the bus service and trekking to the market and bus terminal in St. Johns would give you a good view of community life in Antigua as well as a nice drive through the island regardless of which of two route the bus might take (Jolly Harbor-Curtain Bluff - Fig Tree Drive) or (All Saints - Tyrell). The Dockyard is worth the visit, feel free to relax at the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel or buy a drink at the Admiral's Inn within the Dockyard. The locals are nice but often quiet; don't conclude that you're not welcome to enter these places. The historic ambiance is great.

If you are a bit adventurous this would be a nice day, but you'd want to get an early start in order to get the proper bus info and have adequate time margins. Be prepared to potentially walk up to 1/2 mile or so at each end. Antiguans are friendly, don't hesitate to ask for directions.

If there is bus service to Shirley Heights overlooking English Harbor, this is the island's best view (there's a restaurant there too). Whether you could work this in using public transit or not, English Harbor and the Dockyard are worth the visit and certainly the best day trip for those not obsessed with beaches.

Edited by woodofpine

There are two main bus terminals in St. Johns. All of St. Johns is walkable. Online resources indicate that hotels keep bus schedules. Presumably one could obtain one at the main terminal adjacent the city market.

Nelson's Dockyard is immediately adjacent and part of English Harbor which is also adjacent the more spread out community of Falmouth (on Falmouth Bay). These two areas make up one of the more significant communities on the island. I would be amazed if regular bus service wasn't available. (I was there two weeks ago and I noted a bus stop with folks waiting in English Harbor; service may be intermittant)

Using the bus service and trekking to the market and bus terminal in St. Johns would give you a good view of community life in Antigua as well as a nice drive through the island regardless of which of two route the bus might take (Jolly Harbor-Curtain Bluff - Fig Tree Drive) or (All Saints - Tyrell). The Dockyard is worth the visit, feel free to relax at the Copper and Lumber Store Hotel or buy a drink at the Admiral's Inn within the Dockyard. The locals are nice but often quiet; don't conclude that you're not welcome to enter these places. The historic ambiance is great.

If you are a bit adventurous this would be a nice day, but you'd want to get an early start in order to get the proper bus info and have adequate time margins. Be prepared to potentially walk up to 1/2 mile or so at each end. Antiguans are friendly, don't hesitate to ask for directions.

If there is bus service to Shirley Heights overlooking English Harbor, this is the island's best view (there's a restaurant there too). Whether you could work this in using public transit or not, English Harbor and the Dockyard are worth the visit and certainly the best day trip for those not obsessed with beaches.

Thanks so much for your detailed response! This is exactly what I was looking for. :)

I know there are several threads on public buses in Antigua on this board, but I haven't seen any that tell you if you can get to Nelson's Dockyard using the bus system. Does anyone know if they have a stop at Nelson's? If so, do you have specific directions on how we would get there (bus # or route)?

I know we could book a tour and go there, but I think we're just going to wing it when we get to Antigua and either go to Nelson's Dockyard or a beach. I know we can get to the beaches using the bus, but I'm just not sure about the dockyard. I've tried to look this up using Google but I haven't had any luck. Thanks in advance! :D

There are 2 bus terminals in Antigua,1 you want is,take a right 2 blocks from the pier,walk of 200 yds,fish market.

Clearly marked signs for which destination, make sure you have plenty of 1 US dollars,for the trip,there currency is E.C dollars.

As for the times,these mini buses are running continous,

best beach is Jolly Harbour,same bus station,same price.

coming back, many cabs/mini buses will turn up.just state your destination

at Jolly,same drop off point for return

• 2 weeks later...

We used the bus while in Antigua on Dec 11 to go to Nelson's Dockyard and it worked great. The Dockyard is the last stop on the route so you don't have to worry about missing it along the way, so just sit back and enjoy the ride to the end. The ticket taker at Nelson's seemed very impressed that we were adventurous enough to use the bus service.

When we were finished at the Dockyard, we walked about 1/2 mile to Pigeon Bay Beach (15-20 minute walk for us, although the locals might tell you 10 minutes). It wasn't a flat walk, but we didn't find the incline to be too bad for a couple in their late 30s/early 40s who are moderately in shape. However, as we were walking it felt like we were going away from the water and headed in the wrong direction, but the beach is in a bay so we did find it. The beach wasn't crowded, had tables w/benches under thatched huts and even had clean outhouses (well at least as clean as you would expect them to be) -- but be sure to take your own paper! There is a roped off swimming area, or you can adventure beyond it and swim to the reef -- we have our own snorkel gear, so we did. The reef is in the middle of the bay (marked with a red buoy) and is an easy swim to get there, but remember that you have to swim back. I did get tired on the way in to shore. Because it is a quiet beach that tours don't come to, and because the reef is farther out than most people prefer, we were able to see a lot of starfish, conchs and other shells at the bottom of the bay that usually disappear in more crowded areas -- this was the first time my husband had seen them in their natural setting and it was his third cruise.

We left our bags unattended on the beach, and were fortunate enough that no one messed with our stuff while were out snorkeling. While I don't normally recommend this, we usually travel on our own and don't have anyone to help keep an eye on things. When we finished at the beach we walked back to the Dockyard and waited for the bus to take us back to port. The buses worked great, and I highly recommend using them if you aren't trying to pack a lot in at one stop. We used the buses on three island, Antigua, Barbados and St. Kitts and had no problem anywhere.

• 7 years later...

Hey 5th....

Thanks for the info, this is our map of our Itinerary...

I was wondering how efficient the local township transportation would be, very helpful, thanks much!

This will be our anniversary and Christmas Cruise...

Cheers!

Wes & Rich

2011284417_CruiseMap2016.jpg.3800d3df821821b217adf0703e06e9ac.jpg