NCL and Belize

lookingtorelax

I am hoping someone can give us advice on how to do an excursion in Belize. We are hoping to cave tube and zipline, but are nervous to use a private excursion company because we have heard horror stories about tendering on and off the ship. To those of you out there who have traveled on NCL and taken private excursions, what would you recommend? Do you get off the ship in time to meet up with the guides? Will the guides wait for you no matter what? Is there a problem returning in time to catch the tenders back to the ship? We have many people in our group that are concerned. Can anyone help us?

Hi, Dyane,

This is Sandy from our roll call. As you know, I don't do much "talking" on here, but want to let you know what my opinion is on excursions in Belize. BOOK THROUGH THE SHIP!!!!! Four years ago we did the cave tubing with coral breezes and had a great time, but barely made it back to the ship. Then this last February we did the Lamanai ruins with belize excursions and were twenty minutes late getting back for the last tender. We made a run for it and it was still there waiting, but I think it only waited because there happened to be 8 of us and, in my opinion, I think they probably thought that was too many to leave and if there had been just the two of us we would have been left. It was so embarrassing - people were actually booing us!! It is no telling how long some of them had been sitting on that tender waiting! We weren't even to our room and the ship had taken off already. CLOSE CALL!!! We kept telling our guide that we were late and needed to leave to get back and he would just smile - even stopped to talk to a friend about where they were meeting later that night. We were in this broken down van with no air and bare tires and going back his spedometer was maxed so don't know how fast we were going, passing on curves, etc. We were all scared to death - at least us women were!! haha My brother-in-law was in the front seat and he was white as a sheet.

You know our kids are going with us this year and we have told them that they need to book through the ship. In February my husband kept asking me if I still thought it was worth the little bit of money we had saved by going with a private company. He was definitely a SMART A__!! All of the neat things to do in Belize are so far away that it is taking a big chance. We book private everywhere else but never again in Belize! I do highly recommend doing either the cave tubing or the Lamanai ruins because both are awesome and you will have a great time!! Later, Sandy

Hey Sandy,

I know I remember your horror story. I want to give the group some notice with the info I find out. There is a website (www.shoretrips.com) that can keep a large group like ours together, but I am not sure if it is worth the risk. If nothing else, I know not to get on the same private excursion that you are on. Oh, I am kidding. Thanks for the info. So good to hear from you. Have a great week.

Dyane

Just got back from Spirit yesterday-definitly book thru the ship. Tendering to Belize is a nightmare-You have to line up to get tender tickets & it takes forever to get off. We booked thru NCL, but we were to meet at the pier for our tour, so we still had to get a tender ticket & go thru that whole awful ordeal, but we knew the tour operator would wait for us & as matter of fact, we had to wait 45 minutes for 4 people that were late. I;m not sure independent tours would wait that long for you.

Darla

Just got back from Spirit yesterday-definitly book thru the ship. Tendering to Belize is a nightmare-You have to line up to get tender tickets & it takes forever to get off. We booked thru NCL, but we were to meet at the pier for our tour, so we still had to get a tender ticket & go thru that whole awful ordeal, but we knew the tour operator would wait for us & as matter of fact, we had to wait 45 minutes for 4 people that were late. I;m not sure independent tours would wait that long for you.

Darla

Darla,

Thanks for the info. How was your experience on the Spirit and what excursions did you do at the different ports? Do you think private companies are ok for the other stops? I would love to hear about your choices. Thanks.

Dyane

Darla

Did anyone do the ship's zip-lining and cave-tubing? What was it like?

I just got back from a Carnival cruise at this port last night. We did the cave tubing excursion thru a small company- NCQ Adventure tours-Nacho & Cynthia. They were the BEST. I did lots of research and was leary just like you of how it would all work. You can email me with any questions- fxd1340@aol.com. On Carnival they tell you to get a tender ticket but you really don't need one- just get in line with the first group off the ship. The tender boats hold a lot of people and they are lined up ready to take you off the ship one after the other. Nacho was waiting for us and we were taken in his air conditioned van to the cave tubing- our Belize trip would not have been the same without this tour. It was amazing. Gorgeous. He gave a great tour and there was no problem getting back in time. We told him when we wanted to be back and he got us there ( we were nervous before we went about this too- so we told him extra early and it was no problem!) The bigger companies go in huge busses and eat their lunch afterwards ( all part of the package) outdoors with the bugs- With Nacho's tour you get to eat inside. We had the entire cave to ourselves and got to do 2 caves instead of the big companies' one.

Darla

I am going on this cruise leaving the 14th. Does NCL give any priority tender tickets to those on their tours? When do they start giving out tickets?We have an 8:45 excursion with them, what time should we line up for tickets? What tour did you do and did you enjoy it? Sorry so many questions want to be prepared. Thanks.

Thanks for the new advice. I will share that info with our group. Has anyone ever used Shoretrips? This is a connection given to us by our TA and I am wondering if anyone has used them?

shoretrips is just a booking agent, as long as you can deal with the local vendor direct, why use a 3rd party?

shoretrips is just a booking agent, as long as you can deal with the local vendor direct, why use a 3rd party?

I am booked with the ship. I do not want to book with local vender. Like that ship will not leave with out you guarantee. Accidents happen, vans break down etc.. Willing to pay extra for peace of mind.Do not need to be sold on why I should book locally.Looking for answers on NCL's tender times if booked with them.

the tenders run all day, as soon as it's full..it leaves. no set times.

when we went (ncl spirit..last dec), NCL tours... that needed to be on the 1st tender...met in the theater. when the ship was cleared, to disembark, the tours were called and we went down to the gangway. later tours, even those that booked with NCL, got tender tickets. they will annouce when to pick up the tender tickets, usually starting at 7am in the lobby area.

if your tour is later, you can still get a tender ticket to go to port when you want to.

1st thing in the morning, you will see the tender boats and fishing boats lined up, waiting to be called to the gangway.

the tenders pass each other all day, one leaving the port and one leaving the ship...they wave to each other.

If your on a NCL tour you don't have to worry about the tender. Usually the night before your tour they will put your tour tickets on your cabin door telling you where to meet. If your tour is early you will get off the ship before those who have private tours.

Archived