Conquest 12/5 Questions

I Luv Crusin

Hi, We are going on the Conquest and as I've read the boards I've come up with some questions.

1) Are any of you going on the Conquest on 12/5 to see Rusty?

2) Does the Conquest do Shore Excursions for teens and if so have any of your kids gone?

3) Do you really recommend booking your own shore excursions? If so, which providers are best at each port?

4) Is it OK to change into more casual wear after dinner on the "formal" nights?

5) Do stewards LIKE to be tipped with 'gifts'? IE., phone cards, candy, etc?

6) Has anyone done the New Orleans City tour after the cruise before flying home? Is it worth it?

I'm sure I'll think of some more but that's it for now.

Thanks!

Lesley

Hi, We are going on the Conquest and as I've read the boards I've come up with some questions.

1) Are any of you going on the Conquest on 12/5 to see Rusty?

2) Does the Conquest do Shore Excursions for teens and if so have any of your kids gone?

3) Do you really recommend booking your own shore excursions? If so, which providers are best at each port? We booked Captain Marvin's stingray city tour in Grand Cayman on our own. If you are interested in this type of tour I would really recommend booking on your own. Our boat held about 20 people and we had two tour guides who got in the water with us and made it really most memorable. The carnival boats were out there and had at least 100 people per boat and I didn't see anyone in the water with them. I have also read good things about a company called Nativeway on this board that offers the same kind of tour. In Cozumel we rented a jeep on our own and drove around the island - one of the best times we had.

4) Is it OK to change into more casual wear after dinner on the "formal" nights? Yes - once you leave the dining room you see all kinds of casual wear. Some people prefer not to eat in the dining room (why I don't know), so they are dressed whatever.

5) Do stewards LIKE to be tipped with 'gifts'? IE., phone cards, candy, etc?

6) Has anyone done the New Orleans City tour after the cruise before flying home? Is it worth it?

I'm sure I'll think of some more but that's it for now.

Thanks!

Lesley

The Conquest was our 1st cruise and has us hooked. We have cruised the past two February's and aren't next February and it is quite depressing!! Have a great time

I can answer about Cabin Stewards. Cash is the best gift- theyhave their own store which they can buy stuff a lot cheaper then we can. (beer for 75Cents a bottle) Phone cards are nice but how do you know which one to get since they all live in various countries. I did that one time for my wait staff and wouldnt ya know it- both people did not have phones at home. so that was a waste for me.

Carnival does have teen excursions- Guess it would depend on how many kids were onboard for that to happen. I dont think I would like my kids to go off on the posts alone afterall this is a family vacation. (Have you ever went on any school trips?? I have and guess that is why I say no)

It is ok to change your formal clothes after dinner. Some people will- some wont. If you go to the show that night you will see lots of people dressed in various clothes..some in shorts and tee shirts and the glitzy ball gowns and tuxes.

Regarding excursions, I never book in advance but I do research and find out what's available at each port and then plan from there. Go to the boards for each port to see what's available. Also, the library is a great source of information. I actually got some tips that weren't on the cruise critic boards for some of the ports from checked out library books! Can you believe it?! Anyway, I'm curious about the teen excursions too. Hopefully, somebody will post. Also, go to the Roll Call boards to see if anyone's posting for your cruise.

#1 - not going with Rusty

#2 - They do have teen excursions. Can't tell you anything about them.

#3 - I recommend booking excusions in advance on your own. #1 cheaper #2 you are sure to have a spot. Go to my homepage there are a lot of links there. If you haven't done stingrays then you should do them in GC. We are doing Sunset Beach in Jamaica and Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

#4 - We change into more comfortable clothes after formal dinner. We like to relax - it is vacation.

#5 - Give cash - they need it the most. If you want to throw in something unique - then do it.

#6 - Never done the NO tour.

Archived