Using onboard computers other than for internet access

dvrdude

Can one use the ship's computer room for work on computers, for instance to write a paper, and not necessarily connect to the internet? Is pricing the same whether one is on the net or not?
Sorry, no - they're just for internet. AFAIK, there is no such thing as being on the ship's computer and not being on the net. Maybe you could email yourself pages of your paper! :)

I was hoping not to have to hump my lap-top. I could not have imagined that those computers were on-line or nothing. :(
Yeah ... but they're there to make money for SeaMobile/MTN and HAL, not for your convenience. If you're sitting there off-line, you could be blocking someone who's waiting to pay! :D

Can one use the ship's computer room for work on computers, for instance to write a paper, and not necessarily connect to the internet? Is pricing the same whether one is on the net or not?

I would imagine you could, but you'd still pay for access time. Also, you wouldn't be able to store a copy of it to a diskette or flash drive because there is nowhere to insert them on HAL's internet computers. They purposely don't allow this due to a fear of viruses being introduced to the network computers that could crash the whole fleetwide system. So, you'd be pretty limited with what you could do if you wanted to later revise your paper.

I think your best bet is to bring your laptop, do your work offline there, and then connect to the internet and mail the paper to yourself at your internet address. Then you can log off of your laptop and go to the computer center, retrieve the paper from your email and print it on one of their printers.

That's how I was able to print some Word documents during my Statendam cruise last month.

Having the laptop with you will be good for other things too ... such as the convenience of checking email from your cabin and also uploading any photos you take for safekeeping on your laptop's hard drive.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Does anyone know what the approximate price is ($/hr) for using wireless on your own laptop? Also, can you only get wireless in designated areas and not your room? Thanks
Same exact price you pay if you use HAL's computers. Various package plans with different prices.

When you buy a plan, it's the same for either the laptop or the Explorations Cafe computers. You can also mix it up as well ... some access on laptop and some on the terminals. Doesn't matter since you're using the same logon and password both places.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If your company provides it, you could always use Citrix on the boat's computer. Just need to install the citrix webclient onto the boat's computer if it isn't already installed.
I tend to doubt that sort of thing is installed on the ship's network ... at least not the portion that's accessible to passengers. And, no, you definitely can't install software on their network. If you need access to your own software, you have no other choice than to lug the laptop along and work from your own computer onboard. That's what I did for precisely this reason. I needed FTPCommander, Homesite and Outlook Express, which I knew I wouldn't be able to get on the HAL computer network.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Since 2004 (grad school and post grad) I have always brought my laptop to do my homework and have done it all off-line. When I am ready to submit my papers, I would buy the smallest amount of minutes available and use the wireless connection in my room to upload my work. I have never had any problems connecting and always stayed connected until I logged off. This year I hope it is my last year to have to bring my laptop for school purposes!

Archived