Hidden charges on Orchestra?

mommybean

We were thinking about booking a Caribbean cruise on the Orchestra, but have heard several conflicting stories about "hidden charges". Can anyone please clarify for us what exactly is included in the price of the cruise? Some of what we have heard is there are extra charges for ice cream around the ship during the day, water, drinks at dinner, certain meals, room service, coffee & tea during the day, etc.

From what I have heard via these boards: the Orchestra (and other MSC ships) will be different in the Caribbean than in Europe.

Water will be offered free at meals, but not from bottles. If you want bottled water you will have to pay.

Ice cream will be available during certain hours free.

No charge for room service.

Pizza is free.

Drinks at dinner will cost extra, they are not included in the cruise fare.

There is a specialty restaurant that has an additional charge, like on many other ships. (X, RCI, Princess etc.)

I believe that coffee and tea will be available during the day at no charge, from dispensers in the buffet area. Juice is available at breakfast, but not sure about during the day.

We sail on the Orchestra in Jan-Feb.

From what I have heard via these boards: the Orchestra (and other MSC ships) will be different in the Caribbean than in Europe.

Water will be offered free at meals, but not from bottles. If you want bottled water you will have to pay.

Ice cream will be available during certain hours free.

No charge for room service.

Pizza is free.

Drinks at dinner will cost extra, they are not included in the cruise fare.

There is a specialty restaurant that has an additional charge, like on many other ships. (X, RCI, Princess etc.)

I believe that coffee and tea will be available during the day at no charge, from dispensers in the buffet area. Juice is available at breakfast, but not sure about during the day.

We sail on the Orchestra in Jan-Feb.

I havent yet sailed on the orchestra but have done 8 times on other MSC ships and would agree with all of the above for the caribgbean, except the ice cream - in my experience it is only free as aprt of a course at lunch or dinner in a dining room. if you go to the gelateria, there is always a charge for it Drinks at lunch are also extra unless you choose water - juices etc are usually obtained from a bar for you at an extra charge

They also dont charge for the use of the sauna or steam room whilst in the Caribbean (unlike in Europe where they do)

AmoMondo: according to the information that the TA has published for our cruise group: (Jan 31, Orchestra)

"Coffee, tea, ice tea and juices are available at meals and at self service beverage stations at no cost."

Now, I assume that this applies only during meal hours? Or is the self service beverage station available all the time? On all the cruises we have been on, the juice station was always available at no cost.

There is also a beverage card for carbonated beverages for $8.00 a day that can be purchased?

AmoMondo: according to the information that the TA has published for our cruise group: (Jan 31, Orchestra)

"Coffee, tea, ice tea and juices are available at meals and at self service beverage stations at no cost."

Now, I assume that this applies only during meal hours? Or is the self service beverage station available all the time? On all the cruises we have been on, the juice station was always available at no cost.

There is also a beverage card for carbonated beverages for $8.00 a day that can be purchased?

there is no pre-paid beverage card with unlimited soda pop like other cruise lines MSC ONLY uses canned coke products, they told me on our last cruise the reson why they only serve canned soda is for sanitary reasons this is a very, very clean cruise line . when we did sail with them in feb 07 they had drink coupons for canned soda and coupons for virgin drinks and they might have had coupons for beer but don't quote me on that.

there is no pre-paid beverage card with unlimited soda pop like other cruise lines MSC ONLY uses canned coke products, they told me on our last cruise the reson why they only serve canned soda is for sanitary reasons this is a very, very clean cruise line . when we did sail with them in feb 07 they had drink coupons for canned soda and coupons for virgin drinks and they might have had coupons for beer but don't quote me on that.

Europeans don't drink large volumes of Soda Pop like Americans do. So I would think this is why they don't do the unlimited pop cards. I think this is just part of the many cultural differences we will notice with this line.

I for one am very happy about the very, very clean part.

I always find it amusing when people absolutely need one brand of soda or another. I've just never been that picky about anything.

Also read somewhere that they offer beer coupons for draft beer.

Not sure grace. The free juice must be new for this season. In the past when there was free tea/coffee and water it was only at meal times (inc aftnernoon tea) in the buffets and dining room. On other ships there were a few water coolers which I'm presuming could be used at any time. the only ones i've evr used outside of meal hours was the one in the gym.. there is a soft drinks package. can't remember the price though

Archived