trolley tour vs. electric car

Lowie

what are the pros of getting tickets for the trolley tour vs renting an electric car? i feel like with an electric car we could stop and start as we wish and with the trolley we'd be at the mercy of the schedule. but with the trolley, we wouldn't have to worry about parking it and knowing where we wanted to go next.

there will be 4 adults and 2 kids.

what are the pros of getting tickets for the trolley tour vs renting an electric car? i feel like with an electric car we could stop and start as we wish and with the trolley we'd be at the mercy of the schedule. but with the trolley, we wouldn't have to worry about parking it and knowing where we wanted to go next.

there will be 4 adults and 2 kids.

Two considerations. The Old Town Trolley is $41.00 per adult, children 4 - 18 are $18.00, and children under 4 are free. A&M rentals lists a 4-seat electric car for $99.00 for four hours, and also has a 6-seater but I cannot find the cost for this. So cost-wise it's pretty much a wash.

If you are familiar with Key West or at least know what you want to see, or if there are things you want to see that are not on the list of Trolley stops, the electric car is probably a better choice. If you are unfamiliar with Key West the Trolley will show you around and tell you more than you will probably find out on your own.

Pjk

It's pretty much impossible to say. Parking will vary according to time of year, high vs. low season, and time of day with mornings being the best time.

There is restricted parking on Duval and metered parking on the Whithead and Simonton for part of their lengths, and metered parking on some of the cross streets.

In general, of you plan on going to and parking near the Hemingway House, then going to and parking near the Butterfly Conservatory, then going to another place, you will have trouble parking. If you parked on Whitehead then visited the Aububon House then walked to the Hemingway House then walked to Truman's Little Whitehouse, you might have to go back to feed the meter but this is a better strategy. If you walk around Duval, Simonton, and Whitehead you will see many electric cars but you won't see many parked anywhere. My impressoin is that people are using these to cruise around the island then returning them to actually visit places, museums or restaurants. But this is just my impression.

Pjk

I'm a bit puzzled by the parking issue. I live here and have never had to park more than a block from my destination or had to circle a block more than three times (5 minutes). Of course meters are stupid expensive (.25 for 10 minutes on certain streets) but the public garages are reasonable. The only time I ever stress about it is when it's pouring rain and it's a quarter to 5pm and I have to get in that building!

I support the idea of the trolley because it gives you a little education about our island, in a fun, humorous manner, and you get off Duval Street and see who we really are. (Hint--we're not on Duval....we hate it!) The elec cars are indeed fun but if you don't know where you're going it's going to get old pretty quickly.

Discount 'online' tickets are available from their website for Adults: $26.10 and Children: $14.00...

This also features a 'Hop on-Hop off' feature that you can use from 9 AM to 530 PM!!:)

I have been to Key West many times for a 'land vacation' and would recommend the Trolley.. :p

We are actually taking the Trolley next Monday, while sailing on the Freedom!:D

ok, one last question. if we buy trolley tickets online and for some reason can't use them are we out of luck?
The 'online' ticket I printed doesn't say anything about 'refundable', so I guess you'd be stuck!:o

(They are good for 6 months from the purchase date)..:) You could always try to sell it on eBay... :rolleyes::D

Their customer service # is: 800-213-2474

You can be refunded for unused tickets. This is from their web page...

"At Old Town Trolley Tours®, part of the Historic Tours of America® family, we work very hard to insure that our guests receive the best tour and treatment in the industry. We believe strongly in our products and stand behind our 100% money back guarantee. If you were dissatisfied with your tour, we apologize for any unpleasantness or inconvenience that you may have experienced and will be happy to refund your money*. Your assistance in pointing out our failures gives us the opportunity to improve our products... and hopefully convince you to give us another chance.

It's important to note that all Historic Tours of America® tickets are good for 6 months from the date of purchase. If you purchased tickets and were simply unable to use them, you can keep your tickets and use them on a future visit, or give them as gifts (and you'll also avoid any price increases).

Refunds for tickets purchased at a ticket booth: Please call us at 1-800-TOUR-HTA or 1-800-868-7482.

Refunds for tickets purchased through our Website: Please visit us at Trusted Tours eticket refunds. E-tickets for Old Town Trolley Tours are sold exclusively through Trusted Tours & Attractions."

It's vague about refunds for unuused tickets until you click a little farther...

"For refunds on unused eTickets purchased and printed from this site, please click on the link below and fill out the refund ."

Pjk

Two considerations. The Old Town Trolley is $41.00 per adult, children 4 - 18 are $18.00, and children under 4 are free. A&M rentals lists a 4-seat electric car for $99.00 for four hours, and also has a 6-seater but I cannot find the cost for this. So cost-wise it's pretty much a wash.

Pjk

I just went to a site that quoted adult price for The Old Town Trolley as $26.10, regular price $29.00. If the $41. per adult price you are mentioning for a pkg. type tour that includes something else?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are familiar with Key West or at least know what you want to see, or if there are things you want to see that are not on the list of Trolley stops, the electric car is probably a better choice. If you are unfamiliar with Key West the Trolley will show you around and tell you more than you will probably find out on your own.

Pjk

http://www.conchelectriccars.com/Car_Prices.html

this place has 6 seater prices

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Key West where we rented an electric car and had a blast. Note they do not have power steering so even though I wanted to drive it was difficult for me so my DH had to drive and I navigated. We went all over the island, when we saw somewhere we wanted to stop, we stopped otherwise just kept going. The only tme we had a little problem finding parking was near Margereteville (sp). We drove around the block and found something abour two blocks away. It was a little bumpy but so much fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I see that there are two tours, Old Town and Conch tours. Any comments about the advantages of one over another?

Also, how do you get tickets if you don't book online? Is there a booth dockside?

M/R

They are both owned by the same company, Historic Tours of America, and are similar but definately different. The Conch Train (http://www.conchtourtrain.com/tour-key-west-florida.html), which is completely open-air regardless of the weather, stays basically in the old town area and only offers a couple of stops. The Trolley (http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/) is open-air, but does have windows in case of rain, and has 12 stops around the island. It also goes around the entire island and you have the ability to step out and do some sightseeing. They both have excellent tour guides that give informative and entertaining narration. You can purchase tickets online but don't have to, they have sales depots at several of the stops. They both offer a 100% money back guarantee, so you can't loose. Enjoy!

We rented an electric car 2 years ago. We even got a nice car seat for our youngest DD. I do not recall the company. Back then, the cars had parking passes on them. That has changed. We were able to see much more than we could have on foot with the kiddos. :)

Archived