First Solo on Monarch of the Seas - 1/19/09 - Any others?

Cruiser0908

Hi,

New to the Boards, not new to cruising, new to solo. I'm in FL visiting relatives before my cruise and wanted to extend my visit (and escape from the WI winter) and found a great price on the 4 night to Bahamas (inside on Deck 6), so thought I would try a solo. I'm fine by myself but would be interested in meeting other solos on this cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

:DSailing on the Monarch of the Seas Jan. 19-23. First solo cruise. Hoping to see at least a few other solo cruisers on this sailing but there has been no activity. Now I'm wondering about this.

Solo cruising is a little out of my comfort zone...........any others?

Well, I have to tell you that the chances of finding another solo on this board is pretty slim. Unfortunately, I think I've read that only about 1% of cruise ship passengers are reading/active on these boards.

The best place to find other people to hang around with is your roll call board. I thought I would be the only solo on board for my cruise last year, but at last minute a Mom joined with her 6 yo son and I ended up hanging out with them a bit in port (which was nice, because she knew her way around Bermuda much better than I did!).

On board, I meet an experienced cruiser (80 plus cruises) traveling solo at breakfast - she visiting her newphew who worked on board.

But there are others you may meet - solo's who may be "third wheels" in a larger group and content to strike off on their own at points (I had talked to my sister about traveling with her family - but I didn't feel I was going need to be attached to them for the entire cruise. I would have sat with them at dinner and done some activities with them, but we most likely would have split up, too.)

So go and have fun!! :D

I took your advice and checked the roll call board and did see a few others.:)

I am very much looking forward to my first solo and plan on booking another while onboard the Monarch for my birthday in Sept.

Happy cruising............

Archived