Someone help......

mcnabb3801

I am just so confused with the holds..deposit and final charges on a S&S account.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in January and just want to get a hold of what holds to expect on our cc. There will be a $400 deposit/hold placed on our cc + hold for each purchase we have and ontop of that the final charge?? And what happens if you have Funship Dollars and OBC?

Please someone explain this to me..my head is spinning

Stacey

I am just so confused with the holds..deposit and final charges on a S&S account.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in January and just want to get a hold of what holds to expect on our cc. There will be a $400 deposit/hold placed on our cc + hold for each purchase we have and ontop of that the final charge?? And what happens if you have Funship Dollars and OBC?

Please someone explain this to me..my head is spinning

Stacey

From Carnival's FAQ's

Important Note: A hold will be placed on the credit card or checking account debit card at the beginning of the cruise as a deposit for an onboard purchases. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking account. The hold will be released and actual charges will be billed at the end of the cruise.

So they will charge $400 at the pier and then that's it. It's a temporary charge that will sit there until you return. When you get back they will figure a final total, deduct the value of the OBC and Funship Dollars and then bill your cc for the balance. It may be more or less than the $400 depending on how much you spend on board. But you will only billed one amount, what you spend is not on top of the $400 deposit.

Happy Cruising

There is no preset amount placed as a hold on your cc. As you charge things they will place a hold for that amount. If you have obc they will deduct that from any charges up front. so 140 in tips on the first day will be charged. Your obc will go against that and if any is left it will act as a credit until used. I just got off yesterday and all holds were gone from my account except for 23. My account was around 1200. Hope this helps.

Ed I think I understand...

They will place a $400 hold at the beginning of the cruise then at the end charge the total amount and release the $400 hold... Is this below example correct:

$400 Hold placed on cc for Dep. - $1000 worth of S&S charges and $500 of OBC/Funship Dollars...

$1000 - $500= $500 ...so the $500 charge will be put through and when that is charged they will drop the $400 hold for the dep on my card?

Im sorry to be so redundant but I have received so many varying answers on this...

Stacey

they only place holds on debit cards... not credit cards.

ps. call your credit card companies ahead of time and let them know you are traveling out of the country and on a cruise ship... my fiancee has had her card frozen and had to make calls to fix it... not that big of a deal, but not what youd rather be doing on a cruise

Ed I think I understand...

They will place a $400 hold at the beginning of the cruise then at the end charge the total amount and release the $400 hold... Is this below example correct:

$400 Hold placed on cc for Dep. - $1000 worth of S&S charges and $500 of OBC/Funship Dollars...

$1000 - $500= $500 ...so the $500 charge will be put through and when that is charged they will drop the $400 hold for the dep on my card?

Im sorry to be so redundant but I have received so many varying answers on this...

Stacey

Yep, that's it. And no problem, that's what these boards are for. Welcome to CC. :D

No hold on credit cards, but I do use a debit card sometimes or pay w/cash. Recently I did use my debit card and they placed an 200 hold on it at embarkation. Was a short cruise and they will place a larger hold on it for longer voyages. After paying the final bill 48 hours later they had a hold on each charge on the ship -- so when I looked at my on line statement, there was the final bill paid and in the pending was each purchase on board about 133 of them as seperate "dings". Seem's they do that, but it was gone the next day and my avail balance restored.

So if it is an issue, pay by CC or use cash and pay the final in cash.

they only place holds on debit cards... not credit cards.

ps. call your credit card companies ahead of time and let them know you are traveling out of the country and on a cruise ship... my fiancee has had her card frozen and had to make calls to fix it... not that big of a deal, but not what youd rather be doing on a cruise

TY!!! You reminded me to do this..and it took a good few minutes to go through all the automated messages lol. Our cruise is 1-1-09 andkept meaning to do this but never got around to it..thanks for reminder :)

There is no hold placed on a cc.
+

From the Carnival FAQs

Important Note: A hold will be placed on the credit card or checking account debit card at the beginning of the cruise as a deposit for an onboard purchases. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking account. The hold will be released and actual charges will be billed at the end of the cruise.

I used my bank check card (debit/Visa card), and they did not place any holds on it pre-cruise. Each individual charge came through as a separate hold (I'm assuming at the time of purchase). It did mess up my account, though, as they put through the final charge, but did not remove the holds until later. For 3-4 business days (over a holiday weekend, so it ended up being almost a week!!), my bank account had been "charged" double the amount I owed them. Ugh.

It's been talked about on here a few times, but I've learned my lesson--never using my check card again, I'll use my credit card (although I hate even temporarily using that for anything other than emergencies!!). But no way am I having my bank account hit for twice my on-board total again! Yikes!!

Archived