Land & Cruise?

mikeynla

OK... next question... :)

Sorry, i have to interrupt my own post here... Reading these threads - everyone is so happy to cruise on DCL! This is a really awesome thing to see, as a potential first-time-cruiser!

So, here's the thing - we recently moved to Raleigh from Los Angeles. We've never been to WDW, nor have we ever been on a cruise. Of course I've been to Disneyland a million times, and I realize the vast difference between WDW and the DL Resort. But I do love the Original Happiest Place on Earth!

Perhaps we should just accept that it's going to take a couple years to do all we want to do, but I can't help but be intrigued by the Land & Cruise option offered by DCL. 4 days at sea and 3 at the parks, or vice-versa. But, from all I've read, this is a lot to take in!

Folks who have done the Land and Cruise - do you recommend?

Folks who have not - should we do a cruise before WDW? I'm familiar with the Disney "magic," as I've said (I've also been to DL Paris, which really is pretty awesome!)...

I'm just getting all of these thoughts out there. I never thought to post until I saw how happy most on this board seem to be about DCL, so I figure - what the heck?!?!?

Thanks all!

:)

-Michael

Welcome. You seemed to have got out of California just in time.

The first time that we went on a DCl cruise, we chose the 4 day, three sea. It seemed natural because there are four WDW theme parks and four days fits.

Mistake.

There is Waaaay more than you can do in four days so we hurried, saw the best of each, missed the water parks and wanted more days to see everything else. WDW is huge compared to Disneyland and it increases the fatigue factor. It was the same with the cruise, I just got to know my way around and poof, it was over. I has a serious DCL jones and they dragged me off kicking and screaming.

My recommendation is that one vacation, take the seven-day cruise. For the next vacation, spend at least 7 days at WDW. You'll be able to see more, do more and you won't lose that middle day to transferring to the ship.

By the way, I'm also a big Disneyland fan. The Magic Kingdom in WDW is a wonderful place but it lacks a lot of the charm and history of Disneyland.

I agree with Host Mick. We have been to WDW three times with the kids, and the last time we did 4 days at WDW and a 3 day Disney cruise. It was great for us, BUT we went in January (low crowds), my kids can go from 9 am to 9 pm, and it was our third visit. I cannot imagine seeing all the parks and attractions for the first time in four days. Go to WDW first, and spend a week. Use The Unofficial Guide to WDW as a resource; it's a great book with touring plans that will help you use your time efficiently. When you do decide to cruise and want to do land and sea, go to the parks first, and then relax on the cruise.

Thanks for the information! And, Host Mick, I have heard that about DL vs MK at WDW... :)

I'm thinking we're going to opt for a week cruise first, since we've never been on a cruise before. We made it to DL a ton of times before we left California, so I can wait a while before returning to theme parks. :)

Thanks again!

We did 3 nights land/4 nights sea. We did the land portion first and we crammed all 4 parks into 3 days. By the time we reached the sea portion we were exhausted. Now I did meet people who did a couple nights at the park, then went on the cruise, and then went back to the parks for a couple nights. That does break it up some. I agree though that maybe splitting up the two would be best.

when I first considered Disney, I booked a 4 of land/3 at sea and added a day on land so we'd be doing 5 days on land in a row then did the 3 days at sea. Then, Disney had the book 4 nights get three free, so we changed it to all land. Then, those Disney rascals did the kids sail free, so we changed it back. My travel agent combined both deals and we ended up saving $1000. So, try that. Book the 4 on land three at sea and add a day.

I'm really happy because I really wanted to do the cruise. I think three days is enough for an appetizer. My husband is not looking forward to the whole Disney thing anyway, but I have a feeling he will love it and we'll be back.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I need new TA. Have asked her several times to check price on my 1-24-2009-02-01-09 land and sea

package. Husband and I, daughter and husband and two children age 4 and 1. Leaving on the 24th of Jan. staying at WDW until 29th going on the Wonder. Been reading about kids cruise free and the extra night if you stay four night but still no credit.

See where one of you saved over a 1000. wow.

I'll offer a different opinion. While we love cruising, it's NOT for everybody. Which are you? Well, you don't know until you try it. But, if you are in the "hate it" bunch, would you want to be stuck there for a whole week, wishing you could be someplace (WDW) else? I think you should consider the land/sea for the first time to each. Go with the idea that this is a planning trip and not a "see it all cuz we'll never be back here again" trip. Take a relaxed pace...it's supposed to be a vacation, after all...and hit the highlights. For example, since you've been to DL and most likely have seen Universal in Calif. you might want to spend little time in the Magic Kingdom and more time at Epcot. On the ship, spend lots of time wandering around and seeing everything that's offered. Then, next vacation you can select what you want to do with all you've learned!!

Have Fun!

Archived