Liberty- how is Karaoke

bernieb86

Our our recent Liberty cruise, the karaoke system sounded pretty good to us (although we're not karaoke experts). For one of the week's programs, guests tried out as Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Aretha Franklin, Madonna, and other celebrity singers. The best ones were selected to perform in a "Carnival Legends" main show in the theater on the last night.

I recall the sound system being quite good. The singers though... not so much. :p

Haha jk. In all seriousness, the regular karaoke is held in a fairly small lounge which is well situated for karaoke and it was tons of fun!

All the ships (except the Inspiration, Imagination and Splendor) currently use the CAVS system.

Generally, there is no monitor but occasionally you run across a karaoke host that ROCKS and has a monitor set up (like Kim on the Fantasy in October).

He is now on the Spirit so if you are sailing with him tell him Linda (Emie's friend) says hi!!

Again, the quality of sound will depend on the skill of the karaoke host.

I would say it is about 50/50 . Half the time you get very skilled individuals that love what they do and do try to provide the best sound possible.

About 40% of the time you get karaoke hosts who (while they love what they do) are limited in their knowledge.....and while they do it to the best of their abilities....limited knowledge does hamper them.

Then about 10% you get a karaoke host who is only doing it until a Social Host position opens up and they could care less.

This is based on 25+ Carnival cruises in the past 10 years on almost all of their ships (we have 6 ships we have not sailed).

Currently the best karaoke hosts that I have sailed with are Melvin H. (currently on vacation from the Splendor). Michelle...currently on the Splendor. Kim who is currently on the Spirit. Rozwin who ROCKS TOTALLY.... he had a monitor AND constantly adjusts the sound board as needed....currently on the Fantasy. Aretha (on vacation from the Ecstasy in September) .. is probably on another ship by now..not sure which one.

She is from St Vincent's island. Joey was just starting out on the Ecstasy in September...he is probably still there and did a good job as well.

Several others who were totally fun but are no longer doing it were Emie (now retired and living in California) and Adam (currently a Social Host ~ or Entertainment Staff as they are now called) on the Freedom starting Dec 14th.

If you can get someone to post a current Caper from the Liberty...the first name of the karaoke host should be listed somewhere.

I used to be a backup singer and some of these folks have gotten Production Quality sound out of those systems.

The Inspiration, Imagination and Splendor all have the new Ethermedia Digital System...which means no more pulling disks for the karaoke host. But currently the selection is limited. They have a lot of songs...just not a lot of songs that people actually sing.

As far as The Legend Show goes...that is a MOST DO if your girlfriend is into performing. They do auditions during karaoke every night.

There are 10 slots (6 men and 4 women). The women are Aretha, Gloria Estefan, Madonna and Brittney. Aretha does Respect...Gloria does Rythm is Gonna Get You....Madonna does Like a Virgin and Brittney does "Hit Me Baby One More Time".

The songs must be sung in the key that the orchestra has...there is no pitch control but it is an AMAZING thing to do and I highly recommend it!!!!!! They do allow you to borrow an MP3 with a sheet of lyrics because you do have to know your lyrics. There is full costume that ROCKS and you get assigned a dancer.

Nickie is the current karaoke host on the Carnival Liberty.

Ahh yes...Ms. Nicole....we sailed with her on the Fantasy in August 2007.

She is very nice and was particularly good at "Crazy Karaoke" where you simply sing a song that is picked for you. She actually listened to everyone during the cruise and was excellent at picking a song to match the voice ability and range....when we finally did Crazy Karaoke on the last night.

Please tell her that Linda (the first person to give her a comment on the Comment Card and it was a good one) said HI!!!! I was amazed when she said that she had never received a comment on the Comment Card before.

She was dating a young man from Jamaica. Hope that is still going well.

Never been on that ship but karaoke on the Spirit was a blast. They had the CAVs system and I was able to use my own CDs. Our karaoke jockey was TJ and he was a hoot. Very gay and a delight to be around. The audio in the Spirit was pretty good but I'm not sure he was an expert at running the system. He got by fine but my friends who own a karaoke business had to show him a couple things and he was grateful for the lesson.

Never been on that ship but karaoke on the Spirit was a blast. They had the CAVs system and I was able to use my own CDs. Our karaoke jockey was TJ and he was a hoot. Very gay and a delight to be around. The audio in the Spirit was pretty good but I'm not sure he was an expert at running the system. He got by fine but my friends who own a karaoke business had to show him a couple things and he was grateful for the lesson.

TJ is now an "Entertainment Staff" member (they don't call them Social Hosts any more....that will take some getting use to) on the Freedom.

LOVED HIM. He handled the Legend Show since the Freedom did not have a dedicated karaoke host (family emergency).

We just sailed with him and he was a HOOT!!!!

Just one note about using your own CDGs. Corporate has been leaning towards stopping this BECAUSE:

1. they had a group of people on the Paradise that kept bringing their own CDGs and it was not "normal songs". It was vulgar, filthy trash...that had no place on a family cruise line (no matter how late....it was that bad)

2. they had a few cruisers who they let use their own CDGS and supposedly one got scratched and they started yelling "lawsuit"....you know the type that usually ends up ruining it for everyone.

So....the standard rule now is that you can not use your CDGs. As we know for every rule there is the exception. Currently the exceptions are up to the individual karaoke host as to whether they will allow individuals CDGs to be used.

IF a KH does let you use your own....please be advised that you are taking full responsibility for what happens to that CDG. period. If it gets scratched, melted or made into a buckle for a belt...it is all on you. That is the risk you accept when you ask to use it. I know some of my custom cdgs are $50.00 - $75.00 each. But that is the risk I assume when I ask.

Also, if a KH does let you use your own...."don't ask...don't tell". Please don't write on the comment card "Thanks to KH______ for letting me use my disks."

Also be aware that as the ships change from CAVS to the Ethemedia Digital Systems....there is no CDG player. It is all done by computer. No more pulling disks by the karaoke host.....so no more using our own. And currently the selection on these systems is severely lacking.

I agree with you....TJ totally ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived