Snorkel Tour - NO Stingrays

dvan68

Does anyone know of a company that offers snorkel tours which do not include Stingray City? We have done this once before and would prefer to spend our time exploring a reef.

Thank you!

We're just back....you don't need to book a snorkel tour here. When you arrive at the tender dock, turn right and walk down the main street about 1/2 mile along the water. Just past Paradise Restaurant is a dive shop at Eden Rock where you can rent snorkel gear and lockers. There are stairs to get into the water and presto - there are fish all over the place! I spent about 1-1/2 hours snorkeling right there. There was excellent visibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Stingray City is a shallow sand bar just inside the mouth of the bay near Rum Point. When I went there on a shore excursion a few years ago the depth was about 3-4 feet where the boat stopped - about waist to chest deep. It gets deeper if you wander out of that area.

"how deep was the water off those stairs? I am not comfortable in water that is over my head. Thanks!"

I go snorkeling on every cruise, including at Grand Cayman at Eden Rock. I am not a good swimmer and I also get concerned about being in deep water.

There is a very easy solution to this problem. When you rent the snorkel equipment, also get an air vest. It should be only partially inflated (so you can still put your face in the water). That will keep you safe as you float around and look at the fish. You just have to relax, breathe, and learn how to blow out the water when it gets in your snorkel. It's really very simple.

If you want to snorkel where there is coral, and see fish which feed off the coral, it will usually involve being in water over your head. Where there is live coral, you should not be standing up anyway. The coral would hurt you and you would hurt the coral. So if you're intending to snorkel, assume you won't be able to touch the bottom and make sure to rent an air vest (and fins to help you move around) when you rent your snorkel and mask.

I was in GC a couple of weeks ago and my 15 yr. old DD and I really wanted to snorkel, but didn't really want to do the sting ray tour again. We had done that before.

However.... when we disembarked from the ship, there were several tour companies there trying to convince us to go on their sting ray/snorkel tours for $40. We said no and kept walking. Finally, one of them caught my attention when she said, "OK, how about $25 then?". Sold!

The tour included about 45 minutes at Sting Ray City, and then 45 minutes snorkeling at a reef nearby. Of course the bus transportation to the docks and the boat ride out to the reef was included too. We were able to use all of their equipment, including masks, snorkels, fins, and life vests. Also, they dropped us off at Sea Grape Beach (part of 7 mile beach) afterwards. We did some snorkeling there also, but there wasn't a whole lot to see. It was a great beach though.

I think the name of the tour company was Rowan's. Now granted, Rowan's tour wasn't as thorough as the one we took a few years ago with Nativeways, but we were just mainly just looking for transportation and equipment to snorkel somewhere for a while, so it worked out for us.

We're just back....you don't need to book a snorkel tour here. When you arrive at the tender dock, turn right and walk down the main street about 1/2 mile along the water. Just past Paradise Restaurant is a dive shop at Eden Rock where you can rent snorkel gear and lockers. There are stairs to get into the water and presto - there are fish all over the place! I spent about 1-1/2 hours snorkeling right there. There was excellent visibility.

I snorkeled at the exact same place and it was wonderful. I was scared at first because of all the sea life but once I got a grip it was amazing. :D I've told everyone to snorkel there!!

Archived