Reduce in Cruise Price

Piggy Cruiser

I had this exact problem. My cruise dropped $500pp. So, $1000 total. I called Hal and since I paid in full they wouldn't issue a refund. Also, I was within 75 days of sailing so they said to rebook would cost me 75% of my initial fare!!! I was blown away. The only compensation was getting the same room on a higher deck. Not impressed. :(

But your issue was after final payment. The cruiseline is trying to sell unsold cabins, not give money back to those who booked far in advance and took the most prized staterooms.

More importantly, it can be the ONE AND ONLY BOOKING for that travel. That's where you may run into a problem.

If you haven't yet made final payment, there is a policy at insuremytrip.com sold by CSA I believe it's their Luxe policy. It's pricier, but it will cover pre-existing conditions as long as it's purchased within 24 hours of making final payment.

But CSA Luxe only coves pre-existing conditions at final payment if it's the first and only booking on that ship/date. That is why I said to get an underwriter to put something in writing. I have no idea how they would find this out, but again, someone posted on here about 2 years ago regarding someone who had a large denial (over $50K) because the insurer found out that he had canceled and rebooked.

But CSA Luxe only coves pre-existing conditions at final payment if it's the first and only booking on that ship/date. That is why I said to get an underwriter to put something in writing. I have no idea how they would find this out, but again, someone posted on here about 2 years ago regarding someone who had a large denial (over $50K) because the insurer found out that he had canceled and rebooked.

I don't think that would apply here, since the poster said she didn't yet have insurance. I think it becomes an issue only if you purchase insurance within the required time frame to cover pre-existing conditions. If you later cancel and rebook the cruise and wish to use the same insurance policy, you'd be out of luck because that policy can't be used for anything other than the first and only booking. But if you never had insurance in the first place, it wouldn't matter if it was the first or second booking, as long as you purchase the insurance within 24 hours of final payment.

I don't think that would apply here, since the poster said she didn't yet have insurance. I think it becomes an issue only if you purchase insurance within the required time frame to cover pre-existing conditions. If you later cancel and rebook the cruise and wish to use the same insurance policy, you'd be out of luck because that policy can't be used for anything other than the first and only booking. But if you never had insurance in the first place, it wouldn't matter if it was the first or second booking, as long as you purchase the insurance within 24 hours of final payment.

It does matter on the CSA Luxe and HTH policies and is stated.

Hi all, in my previous cruise trips, the kind of insurance that I purchased was just basic travel insurance. Not really know if there's any big difference from those that you've mentioned here. Guess that the cruising culture is much more mature in the US and Europe. May I know more on this so that I would know whether it would be better for me to get a special insurance for the cruiser? Thanks a lot in advance! ;)

The same happened to me, I contacted my TA and they questioned Holland America Cruise Line in a nice way. I wanted the cruise and really didn't care whether I payed more or not if the difference wasn't to great. My ta had gotten back to me saying that it was already being taken cared of since I paid in full right from the start. I was booked in a inside room and was upgraded to a outside room a deck or two higher but they would leave me in guaranttee status till the cruise got closer. I found out that asking instead of demanding get you a better response most of the time.:):):):) Happy Cruising

Archived