HA Westerdam or Crown Princess

missmlt

I am looking for a bit of comparison for those that have sailed both HA and Princess. We just returned from a Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Crown and we had a great time. Just a bit of background we are in our late 20's we are pretty laid back so non-stop activities are not a must. We do enjoy good food so decent quality food with some flavor is a high priority. On this cruise we are taking both sets of parents with us so there needs to be a good range of activities.

Give that we enjoyed the Crown princess do you think we would enjoy the HA Westerdam as well? The ports on the Westerdam are a little more appealing than those on the Crown this time around--which is the reason I am waffling about doing Princess again.

I have sailed both the Crown and the Westerdam in the Caribbean.

The Crown is a beautiful ship, as is the Westerdam.

Food is too subjective to give you anything other than my opinion.

I thought that both were very good. I am not a picky eater though.

I did both of the specialty restaurants on the Crown. I thought the

Italian was extremely good. I thought less of the Steak Restaurant

(sorry-I don't remember the name) although there was nothing wrong

with it, but it was not as good as the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam.

The Westerdam will have free ice cream in the Lido. The Crown had the

best gelato I have had at sea in the International Cafe on the main floor of the Atrium. It was nearly free--maybe a dollar for a couple of scoops?

For me, itinerary is very important, so if you find that ports are giving you a reason to try the Westerdam--then by all means, try it.

The Crown, for me, was too big a ship. The Westerdam's class of ships

(the Vistas) is larger than what I prefer, but is still more compact than

the Crown. I felt on the Crown as if I had to "pack for the day" since it

was more difficult to 'just pop back to the cabin for a minute" whenever

you wanted to get something.

HAL seems to have that "HAL is for older clients" reputation. The Crown,

strangely enough, was the ship on which I had more scooters, walkers,

etc. to watch out for. That sailing was the one that showed me it is

the sailing, not the cruise line, that is young or old, or a mix of all ages.

Yes, there will be more to do on the Crown, but not That much more than on the Westerdam, which has many different bars and lounges and a disco. I had classical music on both. I had entertainment on both. I had

good food on both. I met some lasting friends on both.

If you have any specific questions, please ask. I know the above was

quite general, but I would sail either ship again.

We just got off the Westerdam 12-07. We were three generations, 18 yr old, 40-50 and 70's. The food was wonderful. Sure there were a few misses but we were impressed in that there was a good variety and a nice presentation. There is not much in the way of active activities. My 18 year old said she would rather be on a ship with more going on but we love HAL because of the service and it never feels crowded (except the first day in the Lido for lunch). If you are for a more laid back cruise HAL is for you. If you want to have things going on all the time you might want to look elsewhere.

This was our third HAL cruise and I doubt we will ever go with anyone else unless we get an offer we can't refuse.

Overall how was the food in the casual dining areas? I realize this is subjective but I like to hear a lot of opinions.

Was the entertainment in the main theatre more review style shows (singers and dancers) or did they have a good variety (comedians, jugglers/magic/etc)?

What kinds of other scheduled nightly entertainment was there?

We have been on the Westerdam three times and love it. that is why we are going back. Never seem to have a problem getting a lounge chair near the pool. Their private island is beautiful and uncrowded.

We go for the cruise and the beaches. Don't take any of the shore excursions unless it is to a beach or to just walk around a town.

Although we are a bit older than you, if you do not mind some older people around, this ship is very good for a laid back cruise.

Dining in the Lido was good. They had a nice variety. Sandwiches, salad bar, Italian station, Sushi plus other Asian cuisines, plus hot entrees and of course the infamous bread pudding. Out by the swimming pool there is a grill, my DH had a hamburger which he loved, they also have a taco bar. I thought everything was either very good or delicious.

Entertainment, a comedian and an illusionist, they each had one night and on the last night they shared the show. The Westerdam singers and dancers performed on three nights. The Indonesian crew show was one night but did not begin until 11:00. As for other evening entertainment, they had different genres of music. They offered name that tune, showed a movie and I can't remember what else.

We loved our cruise and can't wait to go again.

Archived