Zip Line/Ariel Trek excursions cancelled?

lordwaverly

I am booked on the Zip Line/Cave Tubing excursion through an independent tour company (Belize Cruise Excursions.) I received an email from said tour company that the zip line park (Jaguar Paw) is temporarily closed with no scheduled date to reopen. The email also stated that the park is closed to all tours including those booked through cruise ships. I called NCL and they know nothing about this, and are still offering Ariel Trek excursions as available. Jaguar Paw's website says nothing about being closed. I called them but no one answered. My tour company has offered no refund on my deposit, just to place me on another tour.

Anyone know anything about this?

Took a Belize Cruise Excursions trip last Thursday (not a zip line one though).

However, there was a family there who had booked the zip line and were given the bad news. I understand it is a commercial dispute between various parties - someone not getting what they think they're owed - hence the reason there is no resolution schedule.

The Carnival cave tubing tours were also not running. They said it was due to insurance and safety concerns and it would be back on the list as soon as they were resolved.

Thanks for the information Evergreengator. Three of us have already done the cave tubing, but a couple of others want to try it. My sister and I only wanted to do the zipline; are you saying that even if we book directly with Jaguar Paw resort, we can't do the zipline? That would be disappointing for us. My son and nephew (mid-20s) want to try the zorbing, so if they do, I will let you know how they like it.

Maybe I should just contact Jaguar Paw myself to see what we are told. I will post back here if I find out anything different than what Evergreengator has advised.

Bonnie

To all potential cruisers; the Jaguar Paw lodge is NOT CLOSED. The premiere destination and originator of cave tubing and ziplines is not closed, they are experiencing some difficulty with dishonest business people and have to retool some of their agreements and contracts. They also just implemented a ZORB ball which is a blast! Not too mention it is once again a "FIRST" in Belize courtesy of the Jaguar Paw Lodge.

If you have any questions, call them directly do not depend upon tour guides, or other 3rd party companies that work with them. Call the Jaguar Paw Lodge directly and ask for Ralph or Donna.

Most of all enjoy! The Jaguar Paw Lodge is the BEST LODGE IN BELIZE and has some of the finest staff around.

Cheers

Brett

and NO I dont own, operate, or otherwise have any financial interest in this enterprise, I just love the place and the staff!!

It is a shame that Jaguar Paw has been targeted by greedy people that have put out the rumor that they are closed. They are still open and have cave tubing, zorbing, hiking, repelling and the butterfly farm.

I travel a great deal and this was one of the most enjoyable visits that I have had at a resort. Besides having such fun activities, the staff and management were terrific and the food was some of the best I have had.

I only hope that the tour company that owes Jaguar paw the money for the use of their zipline will realize that they are hurting themselves as well as the resort.

I know from personal experience that excursions to Jaguar Paw are still running. I've been there several times and keep in touch with the owners and Jose the manager. In fact, they just opened a new excursion that I'm dying to try (I'm going back down in Feb). You get in a 11 foot tall beachball called a zorb and they push you down a hill in the jungle. I'm not sure what to expect, but the first Indiana Jones movie comes to mind. I've seen it on a truck commercial and it looks like a blast, if you don't puke!

The skinny on the Zip Line is that the cruise tour operator that has the contract with all of the cruise ships is trying to squeeze local independent tour operators out of business by not paying them for their services. That's why they sent you that letter with that BS about the caves being closed.

Everything is open, except the Zip Line, which I understand will open again when the cruise tour operator starts paying his bills again.

It's too bad we all have to suffer because of one bad apple, but the good news is that if everyone thinks the cave tubing excursion is closed, you can still take the trip, but without having to share it with 500 of your closest friends.

Just book directly with Jose (or anybody) at Jaguar Paw and they'll pick you up. You get a better tour (more caves), better service and you don't have to fight the crowds. I think it's even cheaper than booking through the ship. Their web site is www.jaguarpaw.com

Also, if you try the zorb, I'd love to hear what you think!!!

I was in Belize last Thursday (12/18) and had booked a tour prior to my cruise for a combination cave tubing/zipline/zorbing. We booked directly through Jaguar Paw.

When we arrived, we were notified that the zipline is closed until at least the end of December and we were not allowed to do it. We had no idea pre-cruise there were issues with the zipline and were shocked when we arrived to find out we couldn't do the tour as planned. However, we were more distressed by the fact that Jaguar Paw made absolutely no attempt to contact us ahead of time to tell us that we would not be able to do our tour as scheduled (despite the fact that we had phone & email access throughout the cruise). After a bit of fighting, they finally relented and allowed us to substitute repelling for the zipline while keeping our original combo tour price.

As for the zorbing, the actual "ride" takes about 45 seconds. We chose to do the dry zorbing since we were going directly to repelling afterward, but they also have a wet version available. My sister absolutely loved it, but I hated it (I get a bit claustrophobic and being strapped in within a small, hot space took all the fun out of it). I'm glad I tried it, but won't be doing it again. If you get dizzy easily you might want to stray away as you roll around pretty quickly.

The repelling was fun but it's not for the faint of heart ;)

We also had a fabulous time cave tubing - it was the highlight of our day - and additionally, we had two guides for only two of us. Talk about personalized attention!

To top it all off, lunch was delicious.

bqkali, it sounds like you had a good time nonetheless, the zorb ball is still being worked out, short run but fun, they will improve on this newest addition as time passes. THe tragedy about this, and it is a tragedy, is the fact that CRUISE SOLUTIONS (owned by an american/belizean)is the one doing the damage. David Gegg (the owner of Cruise Solutions) has refused to pay Jaguar Paw Lodge for its services ($700,000.00) because he is attempting to squeeze them out of business. The owner of Jaguar Paw Lodge, Donna Wilson, is a fantastic lady who has spent the last 15 years of her life building the Jaguar Paw and making it the premiere destination that it is.

Unfortunately, she is under fire right now because her exhusband is attempting to steal the lodge from her and has gotten her embroiled in a rather ugly legal battle. Forged signatures, embezzelment, it is pretty sad to see what has been done to her but she is a tough lady and she is in the right.

IF ANY OF YOU are planning a trip to Belize in the near future please, please, please, do not do business with Cruise Solutions, boycott their business!! Instead call the Jaguar Paw Lodge and book your excursions directly through them; they are the first to offer cave tubing, zipline, etc... and have the best trained staff and services in the area. You will not be dissapointed!!

Besides, you can say hi to Gumbo the resident Howler Monkey and some of the other cool wildlife that live on the property!

cheers

WVB

I was worried when I saw this thread since I have about 2 weeks until a scheduled zip lining and tubing trip with Major Tom. I emailed him and he quickly responded that yes, there is a dispute going on that will hopefully be worked out soon. In the meantime he is subsistuting another zip line a little further away or giving a refund for the zip lining portion.

It was reassuring to know that he has policies in place for this!:)

Three times in the past three months I have stayed at Jaguar Paw. Each occasion I spent a full week in this fantastic resort Hotel. The first class service and friendly treatment made me feel truly a VIP.

I have no idea where these rumours are spreading from but I can certainly tell you that Jaguar Paw resort is most certainly not closed and is excellent value for a vacation in warm and sunny Belize.:)

Straight from the horse's (jaguar's ? :D) mouth...

The response I received to my email from Stephanie at Jaguar's Paw Resort yesterday reads, in part, as follows:

Unfortunately the Zipline (Aerial Trek) is currently unavailable until further notice, we really cannot determine when it will be re-opened. We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Very disappointed, but nothing we can do. :(

Bonnie

I have read through comments made about concerned visitors to the Jaguar Paw cave tubing site and Zipline tours.Must say,all negative comments being said about the said resort and tours are a load of bull.I personally visited resort last week and it was opened and operating tours as per norm.The zipline is closed due to the controversy with nonpayment of fees by the cruise solutions company.Please note that despite all this,and the fact that it is affecting the resort ,the resort is still ofering cave tubing trips to anyone off the ships on private tours and also anyone wanting to visit this site.They are now also offering a new adventure tour called the zorbing.I also noticed a comment made by someone who has done the zorbing and must agree that this tour is not for the feint of heart.Let us all hope that Cruise solutions can pay off this money owed to the resort and a peaceful resolution to the said controversey.I would suggest to all interested parties to contact Jaguar Paw resort directly for any future tours rather than going through other tour companies,especially not Cruise Solutions (unless u want to get robbed)

Info on Jaguar Paw....

1. They are not closed down but they are practically being forced to close down for non payment from Cruise solutions....owner David Gegg (Belizean) has not paid $700,000.00 owed to the resort for the use of the Zip lining and cave tubing... at this time I kno that the zip lining is temporarily unavailable until all the court matter is sorted out...

Jaguar Paw is and will always be the number 1 destination in Belize for any of your favorite tours!!!! I am a frequent visitor to the resort and I must say that the staff, food everything all in one is the best i have ever had in entire Belize!!! I came to understand that they also have a new tour called the Zorb Ball..... Amazing they never stop getting better!!! Its the place to be.... The cave tubing has been the first and still is the most exciting tour as they have the best tour guides, staff, food, and the eating area is one of a kind where you can choose to dine outdoors or indoor.

It is just sad to see how 1 person can hurt so much people in the tourism industry but what they have failed to realize is that they are hurting themselves even more. I guess in the end we the customers will have to just sit back and wait until this is all sorted out cause for a fact the owner (Donna Young) will not let her business go down!!!! She has worked to hard for all this!!!! Best of Luck to jaguar paw!!! And will see you all soon!!!!

Thanks,

Customer

Archived