Statendam Jan 10, 2009 other excursion options

travellingisnow

We would like to book with local travelagents for tours in Peru to visit Chan Chan, etc. This would be less expensive than booking with the ship's excursion packages. Does anyone have a lead as to who to do this with?

We have a group of 4 travelling together and are interested in having time to explore the sights rather than a rushed itinerary. Travel with a slightly larger group would be more cost effective.

Anyone interested in joining us??

It looks like you have a fairly active roll call for your cruise. Check it out at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=791165 .

There is also a great thread with tons of information in the South America forum. I think it's called

PERU - Machu Picchu & the Plains of Nazca

You might pick up some quide information there.

Hope this helps.

We just took a cab to Chan Chan and it was no problem. The driver did wait for us however. I could be wrong but unless you book it ahead of time you might have issues finding one at the pier. I have to tell you I was very underwhelmed with Chan Chan and Salavery is probably the ugliest place I've seen in my life. The sky was gray and everything near the pier was covered with gray sand. I thought we were on the moon!

I would like to make a suggestion if I could. If you are going to Lima please take HAL's short excursion called Candlelight Dinner at Casa Solara Aliaga. It was simply amazing! I think as long as I live I will remember this one. It was well worth the $100.

Just to let you know I just returned from this cruise Dec.6/08 so this information is pretty fresh.

We became good friends with a young Peruvian woman crew member during our cruise to the Amazon last October.

I know she is home in Lima for Christmas....if you want I can email her and see if she has names ideas etc.

Let me know at leapinggnome at shaw dot ca

Archived