How many engines does the Spirit run on?

Gingee

Without all generators at full capacity, there is insufficient power generated to run the ship at full speed.

The ship has traveled thousands of miles and has many, many hours on it since the engine was replaced. It is as broken in as it is going to be, if they are using it at all.

Stabilizers, when deployed, might take a knot or so off the top end.

The ship needs all generators to meet the performance criteria it was designed for. Anything less and the ship is crippled. It may still be fast relative to others, but it is not performing at optimal levels.

Azipods are different creatures with their own set of problems.

The thrusters are a non-issue.

Not sure what you are talking about.

Engines need ramp up time and time is not equal to miles. The engine being replaced is being serviced by a crew of folks from the company that built the engine, not NCL (although obviously with oversight from the Chief Engineer and Captain).

Ships are designed to work with at least one engine off line at all times - they have to maintainance after all. "Crippled" I think is a little strong. Do you really need "optimal levels" to get from point A to point B most of the time? Most cruise lines changed their average speed from island to island when the fuel crunch hit.

This is all very interesting. I will be on the Spirit in September of '09. I noticed in her specs that she was a very fast ship, and that may be why they are using her on our cruise. Not sure. I am really looking forward to experiencing this ship. I imagine her new engine should be "broke in" by the time I cruise.

Archived