Houston Space Center

soxfan1495

We are going to have a day after our cruise in February in the Houston area, and we want to find something good to do for our kids (ages 8 and 11). The Houston Space Center looks like it might be perfect. Has anyone visited it? Would you recommend this, or is there something else that would be good for kids to get a quick sample of Texas before going back to snow country? Thanks!

We went precruise in October and had a great time our 16 year old son really liked it, I was amazed at how much there was to see and do. I think the highlight of the Space Center was the tram tour and getting to get out and see mission control, it was all very interesting.

We also went to the Downtown Aquarium in Houston and that was very cool also. The aquariums were awesome to see and we got to see them feed the octopus and the white tigers and there are some small rides we rode the train that takes you under the shark aquarium, that was wild seeing the sharks swim above your head, and we rode the ferris wheel and that was neat seeing Houston from atop the ferris wheel.

Sharon

We are going to have a day after our cruise in February in the Houston area, and we want to find something good to do for our kids (ages 8 and 11). The Houston Space Center looks like it might be perfect. Has anyone visited it? Would you recommend this, or is there something else that would be good for kids to get a quick sample of Texas before going back to snow country? Thanks!

If you are interested in Texas history, a visit to the San Jacinto monument and Battleship Texas might interest you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been there with scouts. Everyone loved it. It might be too cool for the Battleship Texas in Feb....Oh wait, your from the cold!!!! I still think the space center is the best bet. There are so many interactive things to do that kids love it. And it is interesting enough for all ages to enjoy.

A good site to check out is NASA.GOV, they have link to Johnson Space Center. It is a very good place to visit. They have a lot of differnt things to do in the center before or after the tram tour. They even have moon rocks that you touch.

We, too, have the extra day - so we have planned on the space center. AAA recommends 5 hours - so be aware it is not a 'quick stop.' They also have reduced price with AAA card.

We also visited the San Jacinto monument and Battleship Texas when went last year. Yes it was cold, but lots of kids in the monument/museum and they seemed to like the swords, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We got to the Center at 11:30 and then I decided to change out of sandals - it was cold! Entered and left at the closing - 7 pm. We ate a shared teryaki (more than enough!!) then got on the tram.

What was the behind the scenes tour?? Saw no mention of it!

Archived