QE2 on the Move

Cunarder Man

In an effort to divert yet another looming argument over whether or not ships have souls and how or how not to say goodbye to them properly (just as the "we the undersigned" post was hijacked), I'd like to ask a question not related to the current difference of opinion. I don't intend to stymie the argument since it's a free speech forum and no one is breaking any rules but it doesn't seem that either side will ever be able to change the other.

The Canberra website (www.sscanberra.com) has deck plans under the heading of "Plans and Drawings". Listed there are plans over the various changes and phases of her years. I've been looking for similar plans for QE2 such as the original 1969 deck plans, post 1972 penthouse addition, post 1985 refit, post 1994, etc. but have had no luck.

Does anyone out there, maybe RAL 72, know if there is a web resource for these?

And ships can have funerals as well - the Maury had one in Winchester Cathedral and the Ile de France had a Shinto ceremony so that her spirit would rise unsullied to the gods.When Rainbow Warrior was sunk as a reef, a Maori ceremony was held for her.

QE2 already had one in October at the Liverpool Cathedral. :( As they brought the Paying Out Pennant up the center aisle to somber music, it was as if they were bringing in the casket. :( It was a wonderfully fitting tribute to a great ship, but had that feeling about it too. The Welsh Guards playing there version of Sailing really sent it home for me. I don't think there was a dry eye in the place. At the time the end was near for the ship and they rolled out "My Way" too turning adults into sobbing masses all over a lump of steel we have all come to cherish.....

KenM

The dean and chapter ought to have had more sense. Having said that what can you expect of a cathedral authority that allows an ice rink to be built in the close

Next thing we know Garigoun will have us believe that God doesnt exist.. and have us believe that he is the man in the sky who nobody has ever seen, and we are expected to believe he can hear each and everone of us as we on bended knees doing whatever it is we do on bended knees......

The same nonsense was perpetrated in Liverpool last year

And were you there? I rather think No, Anybody who was there was there for a reason, to say Goodbye to QE2,( yes l know imagine saying goodbye to a lump of steel:eek:) l was there and not ashamed to say so, But perhaps they might have warned us just how emotional the whole thing was.

The Pennant being carried down the isle, was perhaps the final nail in the coffin for those who were not in tears already.But of course such things are not allowed by the all seeing Garigoun.

You know what Gari l actually feel sorry for you, It appears you have deep hatred of the QE2 and those passengers who stepped aboard and entered in to the spirit of the Cunard experience (so what if its a fantasy, its our holiday!) Somehow l cant see Excrement of the Seas or whatever these new things are called ever having the same following as QE2.

The round UK voyage on QE2, was l can assure you a voyage to be remembered for the rest of our lives, more so than the lack lustre farewell crossings.The crowds and events at the various ports just confirmed what QE2 means to a great may people (except you! it would appear)

Anyway as has been said before this discussion is in two camps, we know which camp your in, just hope your not lonely:D

In an effort to divert yet another looming argument over whether or not ships have souls and how or how not to say goodbye to them properly (just as the "we the undersigned" post was hijacked), I'd like to ask a question not related to the current difference of opinion...

Looks like I failed.

To Reltco, try www.beyondships.com he may have plans of various refits, or advertise for them on here, ask folk to post them on the board, may help.

To Highlander 0108, thanks for the news about the 'funeral' for QE2. Mauretania's was part of the 1935 Shipping Festival in which a model of her was unveiled and dedicated in the Cathedral.

To Cunard Queen, you are probably aware that a ship like QE2 is more than a lump of steel. Garigoun, you miss the point, or do you have a huge stick to stir up trouble.

To Avariel, the notion that ships have presence is held by the Maori, the Japanese and many British as well as people from other nations. The Maori word for this is mauriora, or 'presence' When I saw the QE2 coming into Auckland, she was not just a 'lump of steel' to me and I was not alone. A warning to Garigoun, dont be mocking the Maori beliefs, even if you don't or can't agree. Disagreement will be respected, mockery will get you eaten:D

Cunardqueen wrote:

It appears you have deep hatred of the QE2 and those passengers who stepped aboard and entered in to the spirit of the Cunard experience (so what if its a fantasy, its our holiday!).

Not so CQ. (Why you no rissen cookie boy?) Lovely boat, beautiful lines, thing of beauty etc. etc. I agree wholeheartedly. As I have said so many times before I have enjoyed all my trips, met lovely people, been to nice places. And as for those who enter into the Cunard fantasy, fair enough, their buck, their choice, again as I’ve said SO MANY times before. But it’s the weird attitude it engenders in people that makes me squirm. Attitude exemplified by the sentence below.

Somehow l cant see Excrement of the Seas or whatever these new things are called ever having the same following as QE2.

Every paean of praise for the QE2 seems incomplete without the vilification of some other boat or cruise line. It’s as if the QE2 can’t be really, really good unless something else is really, really bad. And there appears to be a coterie of passengers who have the idea that because they sail on Cunard and on the QE2 in particular they are in some way special, different from and better than the plebeian hordes who frequent ‘the lesser lines without the law’. * They are not. You get the same mix of passengers on Cunard as on any other line. They are not different. The only difference is that some of them THINK they are different. And basically there is little difference in mentality between those who holiday every year on a Cunarder and wouldn’t dream of anything else and those who go to Clacton every year in the same hotel and wouldn’t dream of doing anything else. The underlying principal is exactly the same. Only the money is different. The only criterion for sailing on a Cunarder is having the fare.

The round UK voyage on QE2, was l can assure you a voyage to be remembered for the rest of our lives,

What have I been saying in every one of these threads? Look, just suppose you awoke in a hotel room with amnesia (not alcohol-induced) opened the curtains and there was the QE2 in all her glory. What would it mean to you – absolutely nothing, that’s what, You’d probably think ‘Hey nice boat’ and that would be that. It is not the actual physical ship that is important because without memory it does not exist. That is what counts. Memories, Memories, Memories. Either you don’t read the posts or you miss the point while slavishly scrabbling about to find a place for the next infantile double entendre.

Anyway as has been said before this discussion is in two camps, we know which camp your in, just hope your not lonely

Oh C.Q., dear C.Q., Gentle C.Q. How could I ever be lonely when I have you to squabble with .

Gari icon7.gif

* Yes, I do know it's a misquote.

Either you don’t read the posts or you miss the point while slavishly scrabbling about to find a place for the next infantile double entendre.

Oh my dear Gari l dont need to scrabble about for such double entendres, those that know me will confirm that it flows quite naturally, as for infantile, well thats only your blinkered view. Williams and the rest of the Carry on gang were full of it....

They are not. You get the same mix of passengers on Cunard as on any other line.

You want to have seen the very mixed bag on my MSC Melody cruise in 2005, Formal night you had everything from tracksuits and tee shirts to the small number of British passengers, there were 20 of us, who of course dressed up in our Dinner jackets etc and we suck out like a sore thumb, BUT it was fun and for only a tenner it was a bargain.

The fact that ships can have funerals interest me greatly. Would you care to share more info?

Thanks.

(I'm also interested in the concept of ships having spirits but that's another discussion altogether.)

Weren't there tales of a spirit on QM2? Or am I eyeing the wrong naval history?

Oh my dear Gari l dont need to scrabble about for such double entendres, those that know me will confirm that it flows quite naturally, as for infantile, well thats only your blinkered view. Williams and the rest of the Carry on gang were full of it....

You'll be citing Benny Hill for the defence next.

The prosecution rests its case your Honour.

Gari

We were at Port Rasheed in early December not long after QE2 arrived. We snapped as many photos as we could.

Here's a link to the set.

Cheers,

Chris and Steve.

And some of the shots we took:

3201425202_e231a55362_b.jpg

3201076134_5a637257df_b.jpg

3200538651_df20a90aae_b.jpg

3201372730_322f9d5de7_b.jpg

Archived