Sea sickness / Motion sickness

mcnabb3801

I remember when I was first told to use the search for topics such as this. I felt like a kid who had been scolded, but at the same time, I learned something new. However, search engines don't always work on forums such as this.....

That said, here's my input....from one who has had motion sickness my entire life of 55 yrs. The prescription Trans Derm patches work very well at preventing seasickness for me. I do feel a little groggy while wearing them, which takes away a small amount of the enjoyment for me. But the trade off WAS worth the grogginess. Then, after my last cruise, I experienced what we assume was a withdrawal affect from the patch. This time, I wore the patches for 10 days, changing out every 3 days. About 24 hours after the last patch was removed, I got a severe headache, which lasted for 10 days straight. It was terrible! And I am not one who normally has severe headaches, much less one that lasts for 10 days. I decided after that experience that I will not use the patches anymore. So what am I going to do???

I have used the Relief Band successfully in the past on moderate seas, but on one rocky cruise, it didn't work. I was VERY seasick on that cruise. The Relief Band is not the same as the Sea Band, although I suppose the principal is the same. It emits a light electric "shock" to the point on your wrist that the Sea Band also targets. The Relief Band looks like a cheap plastic watch.....not attractive by any stretch of the imagination. But it does work most of the time. It is battery operated, and you use it as needed, not constantly.

Bonine puts me to sleep, even the "nondrowsy" type. I tried the ginger pills without success. I think each individual has to keep trying all the available motion sickness preventatives until they find the right one or combination that works for them. There is no one cure for everyone. I do, however, caution people on prolonged use of the patch. My experience with it was VERY unpleasant. That was the 4th cruise I had used the patch on, but my first (and last) time to wear one for more than 7 days at a time.

We just got back from Carnival Fantasy Dec 8-13. We had heard the big ships don't experience the motion that causes sickness. That was bad info. We had 14' seas and half the ship was sick. There was a roaming "vomit patrol" cleaning the floors. Privacy tags were on most doors. Barf bags were available everywhere.....especially near the elevators. We were given these two little pills to take as we headed north returning to NOLA. Those little pills knocked us out all night. We woke up as we entered the Mississippi river.....within an hour we felt better. Folks that had a lot of cruises under their belts had commented it was the roughest they had experienced. There was a cold front moving through GOM and we were in stateroom M-1. I am 57 years old an never experienced motion sickness. I assumed I was one of those lucky people. Boy, was I ever wrong. I was not prepared.

Archived