have you ever lost your kid on the ship?

tiffytutu99

I did!! Earlier this year on the Valor, I had side by side rooms, my husband and I in one and two teenagers and my 4 and 6 yo in the next room. They were not adjoining rooms. Well, we were all going into the rooms getting ready to go play ping pong and long story short, everyone got confused as to which room the 6 yo went into. It only took a minute or two to figure out he was missing but by the time we did he was LONG gone!!! A guest passing by said she noticed a boy around six matching our child's description walking with an adult onto the elevator. So naturally, I am starting to freak out...! The teenagers went to search and my husband and I went to the purser's desk to ask them to call security which they did. After a few minutes with no results I ask them to page him, maybe this adult is trying to help him find us and is not some evil predator? THEY WOULDN'T!!!!! I asked, and begged, but they just looked at me and stalled and stammered... and made excuses. I started crying, then I got pissed. They didn't page him until it was clear to them that I was ready to jump over the counter and wring their necks unless they did... Shortly after they paged, they got called by a staff member saying that the teenage girls had located him on the lido deck with another staff member! Apparently he thought I had gone up to the ping pong table and took it upon himself to come after me. So I ran up to the Lido deck and lit into him. Not one of my finer moments. I was so happy to find him but so upset at him for leaving by himself! I could see other guests looking at me like I was a bad mom because he started crying... I felt bad for making him cry but hopefully it made an impression on him not to ever do that again! I am happy that a Carnival staff member stayed with him until he was found, but not happy that he did not call someone to let them know he found a small child wandering the ship and definitely NOT happy with the pursers desk for refusing to page him.

I'm sure I'll get flamed because its a high probability when posting a thread but before you do consider this: I had four kids to look after and we were right near an elevator. I'm not a bad mom, I'm protective, they don't normally get separated from me, my son is a good kid who normally doesn't wander off and I usually don't jump down his throat but I was extremely scared and over-emotional over losing him like that. You can only know what that feels like if you've been there. Needless to say, this cruise coming up we have just our two kids who are now 5 and 7 and they are in OUR room and we'll probably do it that way until they are teenagers!!

I won't jump down your throat. That I am sure was a scary time for you and you had a million what if's running through your head. You would think Carnival would have some kind of procedure for a missing child. And that crew member should have known better than to just accompany him to where your child thought you were and instead brought him to the security office until they could have located you. I'm glad he was found safe and sound though.

I did!! Earlier this year on the Valor, I had side by side rooms, my husband and I in one and two teenagers and my 4 and 6 yo in the next room. They were not adjoining rooms. Well, we were all going into the rooms getting ready to go play ping pong and long story short, everyone got confused as to which room the 6 yo went into. It only took a minute or two to figure out he was missing but by the time we did he was LONG gone!!! A guest passing by said she noticed a boy around six matching our child's description walking with an adult onto the elevator. So naturally, I am starting to freak out...! The teenagers went to search and my husband and I went to the purser's desk to ask them to call security which they did. After a few minutes with no results I ask them to page him, maybe this adult is trying to help him find us and is not some evil predator? THEY WOULDN'T!!!!! I asked, and begged, but they just looked at me and stalled and stammered... and made excuses. I started crying, then I got pissed. They didn't page him until it was clear to them that I was ready to jump over the counter and wring their necks unless they did... Shortly after they paged, they got called by a staff member saying that the teenage girls had located him on the lido deck with another staff member! Apparently he thought I had gone up to the ping pong table and took it upon himself to come after me. So I ran up to the Lido deck and lit into him. Not one of my finer moments. I was so happy to find him but so upset at him for leaving by himself! I could see other guests looking at me like I was a bad mom because he started crying... I felt bad for making him cry but hopefully it made an impression on him not to ever do that again! I am happy that a Carnival staff member stayed with him until he was found, but not happy that he did not call someone to let them know he found a small child wandering the ship and definitely NOT happy with the pursers desk for refusing to page him.

I'm sure I'll get flamed because its a high probability when posting a thread but before you do consider this: I had four kids to look after and we were right near an elevator. I'm not a bad mom, I'm protective, they don't normally get separated from me, my son is a good kid who normally doesn't wander off and I usually don't jump down his throat but I was extremely scared and over-emotional over losing him like that. You can only know what that feels like if you've been there. Needless to say, this cruise coming up we have just our two kids who are now 5 and 7 and they are in OUR room and we'll probably do it that way until they are teenagers!!

No Flames here.. My sister has 4 kids, a 5yr old and 3 yr old triplets.. I dont know how you moms manage it!

I cannot believe they hesitated to page him.. I would have been tempted/threatening to jump over that counter too...

Have a great cruise

Wow, that sounds so scary! I can't believe they didn't do more to help find him. I know they didn't want to freak out the other passengers, but I think most people would have been understanding. I'm glad it all worked out okay in the end -- I bet he won't wander off like that again.

You won't get any flames from me. Stuff happens even to the kids of the most conscientious of parents.

We haven't lost one on a ship but our (then) 12 year old took it upon herself to wander outside the doors of Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone when she'd been given specific instructions about her boundaries while sharing a room with her grandmother. We went to tell them good night only to discover my mom asleep and our daughter MIA.

We checked the lobby and then notified the front desk personal. They began an immediate and thorough search of the Inn. When she still hadn't turned up they called the National Park Service. She'd gotten turned around in the dark (ya think????) and cold (as it was about 40º and she didn't have a coat). A park service ranger found her at a different hotel in the same area and brought her home.

I understand your panic and your yelling at your little one. I lit into mine like there was no tomorrow. And then I made her write a letter of apology to both the workers at Old Faithful Inn and the National Park Service.

(by the way, she's going to be 28 in a few days and she still remembers the chewing out, grounding and letter of apology - and the very nice letter for the park service in response - and I bet your little one will remember this adventure for a long while to come, too)

Yeah' date=' I lost mine and he was 18 years old! Found him about 2 AM talking with a girl on the back of the ship:D[/quote']

I am taking my teens on their first cruise in February and am having some anxiety over this very topic. I've bought radios and have coached them on the various ways to find each other in an emergency, but all of the unknowns have me a little worried.

To the OP, I would have freaked out on the purser's desk as well if nobody moved when my child was missing! And yes, I've yelled in a panic stricken state at my own kids. Long story short, when they were 4 and 6 they went outside to stop the ice-cream man while I was in the shower, telling him "when she's done, she'll come out and buy us some." Yeah, I know...

I am surprised that they don't have a "Code Adam" or other program in place for finding lost children - they should.

Our kids are now 9 and 12, and about to leave on their 3rd cruise. So as not to give up space, we have 2 rooms: the boys room (DH and DS) and the girls room (DD and myself). It works our fine - thank goodness for Camp Carnival. Everyone thinks it would be okay to leave them alone in one room, but no way- until til they are 50 - to quote another poster.

jm

I am surprised that they don't have a "Code Adam" or other program in place for finding lost children - they should.

I would hope they have something in place? I volunteer at the zoo and when we have a lost child on our hands, we radio it to everyone through a specific code. We do it via code so employees/volunteers know what to be on the lookout for but it won't alert guests to a lost child...as I'm sure there are some sickos out there who would join in the search for the wrong reasons.

We didnt lose our daughter (10) but at dinner she wasnt feeling well and we let her go to the room and lay down. We got to the room and we couldnt get in. She had locked the door and our cards would not work. We pounded on the door for 30 minutes and no answer. I called the room and no answer. Finally i went to the pursers desk and asked for some help. Security met us at our door, and asked us several questions, took our names, looked at our ID's and made us feel like the worst parents ever. And I lit into her. I think we all have been in this kinda situation if you have children.....lessons learned...

hillcountry:

start practicing your psycho-satan look right now!!! :p I'm sure that is the look i gave them right before i screamed "YOU HAVE TO PAGE HIM RIGHT NOW!!" :mad::mad::mad: at which point their eyes widened and they promptly picked up the receiver to page! I'm sure your girls will be okay... for years I would not cruise for these fears! just be sure to educate them on only socializing with other people on the ship in public only areas. if they have the good sense to do that they'll be fine!

Yeah' date=' I lost mine and he was 18 years old! Found him about 2 AM talking with a girl on the back of the ship:D[/quote']

When my kids were little, I left them at home and only cruised with DH because I didn't want to have to spend the entire cruise keeping an eye on them. But, now that they are Sr. high school and college age, I just ask that they are considerate and not wake me up when they come in late. They definately stay out until 2a.m. It's their cruise too.

No matter how hard I tried to lose mine, she kept finding her way back :D

As a parent there is nothing scarier than losing your kids. I have lost both my older ones at some point in time. They both remember it clearly even though they are now 22 and 24. My 22 yr old was about 2.5. She walked straight to the service desk and said "Can you page my Mom Sherry? She is lost!" They made an announcement saying exactly that. We still laugh about that to this day.

the link doesn't work for some reason. that is exactly what i was afraid of though. i know i probably watch too many forensic/csi shows... but i can just see some damn pedophile preying on children on a cruise ship. lots of places to get them alone, kids are excited and more likely to be friendly with strangers than usual. parents are more distracted... that is what upset me so much. i thought about ALL that before going on a cruise and was so hypervigilant. it only took us two minutes to notice he was missing... but duh, when i booked i thought this is great we are booking really close to the elevators/stairs, easy access... only 2 seconds to get to the stairs...wasnt very smart. so when i heard he was with an adult my heart sank, i instantly thought PEDOPHILE! I know, call it paranoia, pessimism... idk. I don't trust, personally, I think a lot of people are too trusting!

My son was 4, my nephew was 2 and we were gathered at my parents for Father's Day.....they lived in a garden apartment so people would walk from the front to the back where we barbequed.........

Dad and I went to the store, leaving the boys with the rest of the family (about 10 people)........as dad and I pull up, we heard a car screech......I asked my BIL where were the boys...........he didn't realize we had left and that he was supposed to be watching them......suddenly my sister and I go into overtime looking for them...........fearful that the car that screeched actually picked them up and left..........

Well.....my other sisters bf found them, playing hide and seek in the closet (started by my son,the older of the two)...........as I went running back to the house, tears running down my face, I was trying to figure out what to say to him...........I thought I would just let him see me crying, which hopefully, and did............bother him more than my yelling........

My son is 23 today, but you never forget........

I am upset that Carnival does not seem to have a policy as to how to look for a missing child/what the crew should do if found a lost child..........

Thank G-d your son was safe.........

I would have reacted as you did. That was very scary. We are leaving tomorrow on a cruise with myself, dh, daughter,son-in-law, two granddaughters, ages 2 & 7 and two sons. Little ones are in cabin with parents. Hopefully between the 6 adults we can keep tabs on them!!!

I haven't lost mine on a cruise ship, he didn't go on a cruise till he was 15, and on that one he just kept finding me.

However, I have lost two of them, when they were younger, one at at swap meet, another at a mall. It was very brief actually, but those few minutes felt like hours. So quickly your fears manifest the most horrible thoughts of what your child might be going through. The crew really should have been more sympathetic and helpful to you, reacting without you having to get to the point of "demon possession" before they do anything. In this day and age, it is amazing they don't have a "code adam" type of program.

Archived