experienced cruise divers...I have questions-help!

bmsmith521

My DH and I became certified divers in July. We will be on the Carnival Freedom 1/31/09 - 2/8/09 and we would like to dive. We have cruised before, but never as certified divers (our last cruise turned us on to diving). We have our own gear, that we have not used becuase this will be our first dive since becoming certified. We would feel more comfortable using our own gear, but will this aggrevate other divers being that we are fresh and not familiar with our gear? I have found that I must wear a ladies BC when diving, so I really think I need to bring it with me for the fear that the excursion operator will not have one. We have purchased our regulators, but have not had a chance to use them yet. I would like to bring our gear for the common reasons, but is this feasible? Should we bring only certain items? Looking for advice. Also, I have already tested packing my BC...doesn't fit real well in the suitcase...any gear packing tips you can share? I appreciate ANY advice you can provide.

I have always brought my own gear with me on cruises. You won't really have much problem with it as far as setting it up on the dive boat because the DMs almost universally set up your gear for you. Bring what ever you need to be comfortable. For me that includes a wet suit, regular/computer, mask, fins, and BC. Yes, I have a snorkel, but I don't dive with a snorkel. It might go in my bag in case there are dolphins, but I've also left it home and never missed it. One thing you can leave at home is a knife. The ship's "security" will take it from you for safe keeping the first time you reboard the ship after a dive excursion. If you really feel the need for a cutting instument, a set of shears is a much better choice. You can also leave any gloves at home as they are not allowed in Cozumel or Grand Cayman.

A suit case isn't the best bet for gear backing. A large rolling duffle bag works better for gear. A meshed back back it the ticket for hauling your gear off the cruise ship to the dive boat.

Any more questions?

You should take your own dive equipment.

One suggestion to familiarize yourself with your equipment (and get more comfortable with it) is to rent a local pool for an hour or so and simple dive in it. obviously your not going to get much experience at depth:D but it will help you get used to your equipment. You can practice connecting air tank etc there as well

You should take your own dive equipment.

One suggestion to familiarize yourself with your equipment (and get more comfortable with it) is to rent a local pool for an hour or so and simple dive in it. obviously your not going to get much experience at depth:D but it will help you get used to your equipment. You can practice connecting air tank etc there as well

Very good advice.Having your own gear is great and will probably lead you to do alot of diving.My concern is new divers on thier first dives after certification, new equipment,diving off a charter for the first time at a new location----seems like SKILLS and INFORMATION OVERLOAD to me !!! This is not a "good thing" underwater. My advice is to get with one of the Dive Masters as soon as you get on the charter and tell him/her your situation. Ask if you can buddy up with them and be prepared to give a really nice tip.Enjoy your vacation and welcome to the wonderful world of diving.

Bruce R and I are exactly alike. I too take everything but a knife, use a rolling duffel for packing and a mesh bag for hauling everything to the dive boat.

However, I always dive with my snorkel, mostly because it's such a pain in the whazoo to take off and put back on my mask. I use it when a surface swim is necessary, rather than use up my precious air.

Bruce R and I are exactly alike. I too take everything but a knife, use a rolling duffel for packing and a mesh bag for hauling everything to the dive boat.

However, I always dive with my snorkel, mostly because it's such a pain in the whazoo to take off and put back on my mask. I use it when a surface swim is necessary, rather than use up my precious air.

As usual, good people have beaten me with great advice....

Call the dive shop you certified through. Ask when is the next time they're going to be doing pool work and ask if you can show up to test out your gear (if you need tanks, ask them to bring along a few extra (you might have to pay a rental fee)). Go more than once if you can. Before you go, sit down and come up with some excercises that you want to do - plan a dive, dive the plan. For example: put together, break down your equipment 5-6 times (remember, last-on, first-packed) and don't leave your equipment all over the pool deck, see how small a space you can store the leftovers, practice giant strides and back drops into the water (the two most common entries off of a boat), climb out of the water several times by removing your fins, putting them on your wrists and using the pool ladder (in full gear is vey typical), practice the buddy tow, go to the deep end and practice buddy breathing, and practice surface swimming with your snorkel (yes, bring it since you're new). I'm sure you can come up with other excercises you can practice.

Boat ediquette is something you learn out side of certification. If there's any questions while at the pool, wait until the instructors are available and ask them if you're unsure of how to do something or what they've experienced while on an excursion.

I'm diving in Feb, and since it's been since Oct since I've been in the water (not keen on diving in ice around here), I'll be at the pool at least twice before I go.

Equipment I bring:

In a carry-on (mask, reg, u/w camera, fins, safety sausage, wet suit, dive computer, log book, booties, hoodie).

In a suitcase (BCD, mesh duffel, neoprene pocket weight belt, stowable snorkel (always keep one in the pocket of my BCD))

In my wallet (cert. card, DAN insurance card, tip money) :p

Hope this helps,

Randall

Remember that in Cozumel almost all the diving is drift diving, where all divers on board are expected to get in the water simultaneously and descend immediately, staying together as a group. Whatever equipment you use, be sure you are familiar enough with it (and how much weight you need) so that you don't have issues on the surface while everyone else has gone down.

Thanks so much for all of the WONDERFUL information. I guess I am ahead of the game because I have asked my dive shop where we could to get familiar with our gear and if he could go with us (they are closed until the 5th :rolleyes:). So much wonderful advice to take in. I don't like being the one holding everyone up and obviously I don't want to be on "skills and information overload"! Also, I want to have dive/boat etiquette, but you always need guidance in those departments. Scubaran...thanks for the wonderful pool drills. I would have never thought of some of those, they are great suggestions.

So I guess I need to find rolling duffles and mesh back packs...any suggestions. Will one duffle hold both of our equipment? Do you worry about the airlines tossing it and hurting something (should I pack it a certain way)?

Obviously I have more questions. You have all got excellent tips...if you think of more, I am ready to receive them :D. Thanks all!

How about this: I see that the Carnival freedom is leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale in January. Why not book a dive trip out of Ft. Lauderdale the day before your cruise, with an instructor or divemaster to practice your skills and help you familiarize yourself with your equipment?

American dream http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/ runs out of the Hyatt regency/Pier 66, which is right accross the intercoastal from port everglades. In fact, the return trip on the American Dream is usually delayed by homeland security to accomodate a departing cruise ship.

Every time I've used this boat, there's been a handful of divers-in-training. Their schedule usually has nice, easy reefs and 65' wrecks (and how can a diver spend a day in the wreck diving capital of the world without visiting at least one wreck?)

Diver's Direct http://www.diversdirect.com (among others) does training dives off this boat. I have no doubt that if you called them, you could get an instructor or dive master to meet you at the pier to do a guided dive with you. It would probably give you a lot more confidence on the cruise dive.

How about this: I see that the Carnival freedom is leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale in January. Why not book a dive trip out of Ft. Lauderdale the day before your cruise, with an instructor or divemaster to practice your skills and help you familiarize yourself with your equipment?

American dream http://www.scubafortlauderdale.com/ runs out of the Hyatt regency/Pier 66, which is right accross the intercoastal from port everglades. In fact, the return trip on the American Dream is usually delayed by homeland security to accomodate a departing cruise ship.

Every time I've used this boat, there's been a handful of divers-in-training. Their schedule usually has nice, easy reefs and 65' wrecks (and how can a diver spend a day in the wreck diving capital of the world without visiting at least one wreck?)

Diver's Direct http://www.diversdirect.com (among others) does training dives off this boat. I have no doubt that if you called them, you could get an instructor or dive master to meet you at the pier to do a guided dive with you. It would probably give you a lot more confidence on the cruise dive.

That is a great idea, however our flight is scheduled to arrive the same day as the ship leaves, so unfortunately that is not an option. Although, I sure would love it to be.

Thanks so much for all of the WONDERFUL information. I guess I am ahead of the game because I have asked my dive shop where we could to get familiar with our gear and if he could go with us (they are closed until the 5th :rolleyes:). So much wonderful advice to take in. I don't like being the one holding everyone up and obviously I don't want to be on "skills and information overload"! Also, I want to have dive/boat etiquette, but you always need guidance in those departments. Scubaran...thanks for the wonderful pool drills. I would have never thought of some of those, they are great suggestions.

So I guess I need to find rolling duffles and mesh back packs...any suggestions. Will one duffle hold both of our equipment? Do you worry about the airlines tossing it and hurting something (should I pack it a certain way)?

Obviously I have more questions. You have all got excellent tips...if you think of more, I am ready to receive them :D. Thanks all!

Hi,

I've carried on my duffle on the plane before (not fully loaded). I put my carry on roller bag on the floor and stuffed it until it was the same approximate size. But normally your duffle is for carrying your equipment from the ship to the dive center and back. I'd also do one duffle per equipment as it may not seem that heavy loaded going out but with half the ocean still in your equipment going back it can get really heavy. :) You can shop at the usual places, scubatoys, scuba, leisurepro, diversdirect, etc. Shop around, there are some good bargains this time of year. Also if your dive center is closed, call the local rec. centers, ymca's etc. Sometimes they'll allow you to do check out dives in their pools during "open swim" times.

Randall

BTW, I'll dive with people who strive to be good divers like you over new cocky divers any time. We all had to start somewhere and I know I still have a lot to learn (one of the reasons I stay on this board, I learn as much, if not more, than I give out).:D

That is a great idea, however our flight is scheduled to arrive the same day as the ship leaves, so unfortunately that is not an option. Although, I sure would love it to be.

Bummer. Can you change the flight? Drive down? I always make a standing offer that any out-of-town diver who wants to dive south Florida is welcome to crash at my place. Hell, I'll even go diving with you....

...I'm such an unabashed proponant of local diving, that I ought to be on the S. Florida diving chamber of commerce ;-)

Don't we use the same model Olympus too?

It's OK if you want to dive with your snorkel just like it's OK that I don't. Most scuba divers are very accepting of different styles of gear setup.

If you plan on doing lots of diving, I'd say take your own gear, but when I cruise I usually spend one day diving and only take a mask, snorkle and fins (and the missus complains about those). She needs all the space for her "essentials." I jest but say travel lightly. But Bruce and others are way more experienced than I am so I bow to their views.

I'll stil travel lightly. I prefer it.

It's OK if you want to dive with your snorkel just like it's OK that I don't. Most scuba divers are very accepting of different styles of gear setup.

Actually I've taken my copies of scuba diving magazines and checked out the pictures of divers to see how many didn't have snorkels. You'd be amazed at how many don't ('course the PADI magazine is different :)).

I like the compromise. I have a stowable snorkel (Apollo) that has a quick-connect stub that stays on your mask. Need your snorkel, open your BCD pocket, "snap" on the side of your head (of course this took practice), you're set. :p It's also a "man's man's" snorkel, no dry snorkel for me. If you don't drink a bit of sea water with every breath you might fall asleep swimming back to the boat. ;) But lots of people I've dove with don't wear them outside of training.

Randall

I too just did my first dive after certification on the Conquest. We stopped in Grand Caymen and Cozumel. We did both dives with the ships excursions because of our novice-ness (is that a word). Both operators were awsome with us as were the other divers. I think they enjoyed seeing the excitement in our newbie eyes. When we signed in at the dive shop, we had to give our total number of dives with our c-cards. So the Dive masters know exactly what each divers experience is. As Someone else said, I always take my snorkel, just to preserve air. Especially on your first dives from certification. Simply because anxiety and excitement will have you breathing harder. In Cozumel, the water can be a bit choppy, so I liked having the snorkel there also while we were waiting for the boat to come pick us up. Most of all, relax, relax, relax, and enjoy it. The crystal clear water in unbelieble. We certified in a dive lake with virtually zero visibility due to heavy rains the week before. Have fun and you'll do fine.

I'm packing up that Olympus today for our upcoming trip to New Zealand/Australia. We leave in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, with all of our other activities my diving will be restricted to the Great Barrier Reef. There is a chance that I could get in some diving in the last week of our 5 week trip when we spend a week in Melbourne before coming home. I hope I can because they have some Sea Dragons there that I'd like to photograph. I don't recall if they are the Leafy or Weedy type but, nonetheless, I'd like to dive with them.

Denny

Hey, BMSmith

Just noticed you are from Jonesville,NC. I grew up in Jonesville and Elkin.My Mom and Brother still live in Elkin and we were just up there visiting on Saturday and Sunday.I miss the Tri-County area and it still feels like home to me.

Do you guys have a local dive shop now? Where did you do your certification dives ? I have often thought of moving back to the area and opening a dive shop but I don't believe my wife would ever leave her family in South Carolina.I do remember an old rock quarry down around Starmount High School. Does anyone dive there?

Our local hangout is Lake Jocassee, SC : site of the famous Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery from the movie Deliverance.Jocassee may be one of the best kept secrets in the South---beautiful,clear, deep mountain lake.Morehead City has some awesum wreck diving on the coast.U-Boats, tankers , sharks---world class wreck diving.I try to go every summer.

Again, welcome to the underwater world and remember--Good divers are always learning.Nothing teaches like experience. Enjoy your cruise and your dives.

I always take my own dive gear.I know it fits,is good quality, and is seviced regularly.We have always driven to the Southern ports so luggage weight hasn't been an issue so far.I take everything but tanks and my dive knife--don't won't to be considered a terrorist anymore and shears work better anyway. I now use a compact/foldable snorkel that stores in a BC pocket--Sherwood Avid.I don't wear it but it is there in an emergency.I carry my Spare Air--would like my my pony bottle but I have never taken it on a ship as most say something about compressed air cylinders not being allowed on board.Never had a problem with the Spare Air and since I dive mostly solo I figure something is better than nothing in an emergency.I always carry a safety sausage and wear a Dive Alert air horn on my BC when diving in the ocean---don't want to be the star of Open Water 3.

I always pay good attention to the dive briefings---that is what we are paying for.I try to stay close to the Dive Master--figure he/she has a good idea of where the boat is.I now REFUSE to be a part of a 3 man buddy team.My last experience with threesomes included the two nuts I was with running out of air on a 115 feet dive---very interesting and I don't care to repeat the experience.I guess things like that is why I really prefer to dive solo unless I know my buddy.Usually I am allowed to do my own thing and follow the group on the various charters.

I pack everything in a rolling dive bag and try to practice good boat ettiquite.If there is not much room, I will let the folks beside me gear up first and I help them don their BC if they want me too.I appreciate the help zipping my wetsuit, etc. I ALWAYS set up my own gear and double check everything. Make sure to take several big breaths on your reg before you jump in to make sure some nut has not turned your air off--especially on long boat rides such as Morehead City.Always know how much air you have and check it often.Stay within the levels of your training and be honest about your experience.If it don't feel right--don't do the dive.There is no shame in calling a dive or saying I don't believe this dive is for me.I got alot of expereice but I darn well know I can't dive the Andrea Doria or the Atakulla Lodge at Lake Jocassee---I don't have the experience or the gear. It's like the old Clint Eastwood saying "A man has got to know his limitations".

Diving is fun and can be a very safe sport if you follow the rules and get the proper training and experience.Hope this helps.

We take all of our gear on long cruises (7-14 days) and only regs and comfort stuff like fins, mask, and wetsuits on 4-5 nighters.

Anything that might ruin your dive trip or break your credit card limit replacing (regs, computers, masks with special lenses, contact lenses for diving, favorite swimsuits, etc.) goes in a regular carry-on size suitcase for the flight along with a change of clothes, meds, and all the usual stuff people carry on planes. Wetsuits, weight belts, BC's, and fins get packed in checked luggage along with clothes and folded mesh back packs for hauling stuff to the boats.

Hey, BMSmith

Just noticed you are from Jonesville,NC. I grew up in Jonesville and Elkin.My Mom and Brother still live in Elkin and we were just up there visiting on Saturday and Sunday.I miss the Tri-County area and it still feels like home to me.

Do you guys have a local dive shop now? Where did you do your certification dives ? I have often thought of moving back to the area and opening a dive shop but I don't believe my wife would ever leave her family in South Carolina.I do remember an old rock quarry down around Starmount High School. Does anyone dive there?

Our local hangout is Lake Jocassee, SC : site of the famous Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery from the movie Deliverance.Jocassee may be one of the best kept secrets in the South---beautiful,clear, deep mountain lake.Morehead City has some awesum wreck diving on the coast.U-Boats, tankers , sharks---world class wreck diving.I try to go every summer.

Again, welcome to the underwater world and remember--Good divers are always learning.Nothing teaches like experience. Enjoy your cruise and your dives.

Hi Dive Master! Funny meeting you here :D. Actually we use a dive shop out of Greensboro called NADCO. The guys there are really nice and I was referred by a long time acquaitance of my husbands. He is a very experienced diver and is actually a rescue diver for Yadkin County along with being their EMS trainer, so I felt very confident in his referral. He also acted as our dive master when we were doing our training. Anyway...my husband and he both attended Starmount...small world, huh? Who knows, you may even know my husband and his buddy. I am not originally from here, but I love it. I left my family in Raleigh for this area. Anyway, the point I started to make was that I am not aware of a rock quarry near Starmount, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I will have to ask them if they know of it.

We were certified in a quarry near Lake Norman. We did our training in the Yadkin Co YMCA pool. Maybe we need to check out Lake Jocassee. We are looking in to joing the PDRA (Piedmont Divers Rescue Assoc) because they have 3 somewhat local quarries and for a small annual fee you have full access to any of them at any time.

With all of the great advice posted in this thread I think I may call our YMCA and see if they will allow us to practice in the pool, and see if our buddy will come with us to sharpen our skills and make sure we are doing them right.

I really want to thank everyone that has posted (not telling you to stop posting - keep the tips coming!). Everyone has given such great insight to the world of diving. I can't thank you enough. You sure have made things a lot clearer for me. With all of the nice, helpful people on this board and the others I have met through diving I can say I am going to like this sport/hobby!

If you have new gear, I would go to your local dive shop or were you purchased the gear and get in the pool with it to familarize yourself with the releases, air dump and inflator, etc. When I purchased my BC, the dive shop MADE me get into the pool with it before I left the shop. Very responsible in doing this, IMO. I found that my reg was hard to pull air off of, and they were able to fix it ont he spot, and I was able to try ir before we left the shop and it was to my liking. I think this is VERY important, especially with a reg.

As for packing - we purchased a rolling gear bag from Akona. It workes well as a checked piece of baggage, as well as for hauling our gear to the dive boat. It has some holes in it to allow for drainage. As for my reg, I don't put it in there while it is a checked bag on the airline. Not enough protection. I carry that on.

when we go on a dive vacation, we take all our gear but, on this cruise we are just taking regs, computers, mask (prescription) and wetsuit (I have allergies to most sunscreens so I'm not chancing that) but leaving our bulkier gear behind. We have an inside cabin, no idea how I would get all that stuff dried. This will actually be our first dives since our open water without all our own gear. Not loving the idea but we are only doing 4 tanks and there is just no way to take all our gear and formal attire :) As to packing your BC, if you undo the shoulder buckles it will lie flatter--make sure all the air is out too.

We are leading a Scuba Cruise next year and have a group forum here at Cruise Critic with a lot of good information. We update it regularly with useful tips and information that the divers in the group can use, but you are welcome to stop by anytime.

The port specific info is not going to help much as far as your cruise is concerned. But our members do email me often and ask me to post dive info, so you may want to check it out.

Good luck.

OK, so it is all set! I am going a week from Saturday to the local YMCA. They have agreed to let me and my husband use the pool for practice. Now my only concern is packing my gear. I have been so busy with work that I haven't had time to research duffles for our gear! Thanks for all the tips!

Archived