experienced cruise divers...I have questions-help!

bmsmith521

OK, so it is all set! I am going a week from Saturday to the local YMCA. They have agreed to let me and my husband use the pool for practice. Now my only concern is packing my gear. I have been so busy with work that I haven't had time to research duffles for our gear! Thanks for all the tips!

We always carry on (the airplane and ship) our own gear as do all the people going on the scuba cruise. We all have either back pack type bags or small rolling cases - the best ones are those that are more boxy with large side panels than the duffle kind, but still adhere to airline carry-on standards. We pack our fins in our checked bags, but our BC, reg, wetsuit, and all the other stuff go into the carry-on.

A couple of things to remember - you will not be allowed to take your gear bag onto small dive boats if it is one of those large suicase type bags. For my group, it's a matter of also getting everyone's gear onto the van - those large cold water gear bags just won't work if you have to sit with it on your lap. Another thing is don't spend a ton of money on your dive bag - salt water does a number on the wheels and handle, so it's best to find one on sale - I got mine for under $30. You should be able to find a real good one for less than $100; I personally wouldn't spend that much on a bag though. I also don't believe in advertising that I have dive gear in the bag - get one that's generic and not made for dive gear. I know it's tempting to get a "real dive" bag but thefts are a big deal in the Caribbean.

Shlepping dive gear in the ports of call can be a pain so figure out which type of bag works best for you. Some people prefer to check their dive gear in at the airport and transfer gear on the ship into an inexpensive mesh backpack dive bag. This works great if you are okay with carrying heavy, dripping wet gear back to the ship. Personally, I find it easier to stuff it back into my rolling dive bag.

Finally, remember to rinse off your gear at the dive shop or on the dive boat before heading back to the ship. When you get to your cabin, if you have a balcony, you can simply set it out to dry and be on your way. If you don't have a balcony, a hour up on deck in the sun will work too - we often would get together for drinks poolside with friends to allow our stuff to dry!

Good luck and have a fun trip!

Suzi

OK, so it is all set! I am going a week from Saturday to the local YMCA. They have agreed to let me and my husband use the pool for practice. Now my only concern is packing my gear. I have been so busy with work that I haven't had time to research duffles for our gear! Thanks for all the tips!

If you get in a rush, you can always go to target, wal-mart, k-mart. etc. and buy a cheap cloth roller or duffel bag.

Randall

P.S. good luck on the pool and your dive trip!:D

Archived