Eastern/Western Caribbean in December/weather

lovevacadays

We always cruise in Dec & this year it has been windier than normal. It would be a hard call to say Jan might be any better especially a year off. The Caribbean is usually fairly nice in the winter season, at least on all our cruises in years past.

We did the Eastern in mid January a couple of years ago. The weather was gorgeous, but one snorkeling expedition was canceled and our other should have been....high waves and too much current. Otherwise, the weather was a Caribbean cruisers dream. I think it's all just luck that time of year...it depends on whether or not a front is passing through.

Over the last 120 years there have only been 6 December hurricanes in the Caribbean, and 3 of those were November storms which lasted a couple of days into December. In other words, the odds are better than 30 to 1 of having a genuine December storm. Go and enjoy yourself.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I was wondering the same thing. Generally speaking, is the weather in December "better" in countries in the Eastern Caribbean or countries in the Western Caribbean? I realize that weather varies from year to year, but generally speaking can any comparisons be made between the typical weather in the Eastern Caribbean vs Western Caribbean in the month of December?

Archived