Is anyone here a TA? Question for you

cyberrat67

Do TA's get discounts on cruises, etc? I've seen programs advertised that basically get you licensed to be a TA, and they claim you can get huge discounts...is this true? Not so much for the program, but in general...If I were a TA, would I be able to cruise cheaper?

Caveat - I'm not a travle agent, but I understand the following to be true.

In many cases, travel agents are able to get special familiarization rates - "fam" rates in industry speak (IIRC). Sometimes these are for special travelindustry sailings or specific itineraries, and often at VERY reasonable rates.

Typically you need an IATAN number to get those rates, though, and I think that not all TA mill places of the "Become a travel agent for $400" variety provide you with one, so be aware.

Typically, if a deal sounds too good to be true, it is ;)

Do TA's get discounts on cruises, etc? I've seen programs advertised that basically get you licensed to be a TA, and they claim you can get huge discounts...is this true? Not so much for the program, but in general...If I were a TA, would I be able to cruise cheaper?

What you are seeing are referred to in the travel industry as "Card Mills". Normally, you will not see any offers over $495.00 as $500.00 is the threshold for some federal law having to do with scam programs.

As a travel consultant, I always pay full price which gets reduced by the commission that is returned to me. Are there travel discounts? Yes there are. Are they worth it? Not usually. Cruise lines will offer discounted rates off of the Brochure Rate. Normally, my booking a consumer discounted rate and deducting my commission, comes out lower.

Most cruise lines will offer rates of $50.00 to $100.00 per person per day BUT, they will not be confirmed more than a few weeks in advance, sometimes a few days. If you are lucky to get one of those rates, you don't get to pick a cabin, and if the ship is oversold, you can get bumped.

To be eligible for any of these reduced rate cruises, one will be asked for a CLIA membership certificate and/or a copy of a CLIA ID card or an IATAN card. In my 10 years in the industry, I will honestly say that I received a total of TWO free trips. One was from Carnival which was not a cruise and one from Club Med. For both of those, I was required to attend the company's seminars. If I failed to show, they would have billed me for the air and hotels that they provided.

If you were to buy into one of those programs, you need to work a minimum of 20 hours per week selling travel and earn over $5000.00 for an IATAN card. Thos programs are scams and come ons and every supplier in the travel industry is aware of them and 95% of them will not have anything to do with you.

What you are seeing are referred to in the travel industry as "Card Mills". Normally, you will not see any offers over $495.00 as $500.00 is the threshold for some federal law having to do with scam programs.

As a travel consultant, I always pay full price which gets reduced by the commission that is returned to me. Are there travel discounts? Yes there are. Are they worth it? Not usually. Cruise lines will offer discounted rates off of the Brochure Rate. Normally, my booking a consumer discounted rate and deducting my commission, comes out lower.

Most cruise lines will offer rates of $50.00 to $100.00 per person per day BUT, they will not be confirmed more than a few weeks in advance, sometimes a few days. If you are lucky to get one of those rates, you don't get to pick a cabin, and if the ship is oversold, you can get bumped.

To be eligible for any of these reduced rate cruises, one will be asked for a CLIA membership certificate and/or a copy of a CLIA ID card or an IATAN card. In my 10 years in the industry, I will honestly say that I received a total of TWO free trips. One was from Carnival which was not a cruise and one from Club Med. For both of those, I was required to attend the company's seminars. If I failed to show, they would have billed me for the air and hotels that they provided.

If you were to buy into one of those programs, you need to work a minimum of 20 hours per week selling travel and earn over $5000.00 for an IATAN card. Thos programs are scams and come ons and every supplier in the travel industry is aware of them and 95% of them will not have anything to do with you.

That's what I figured...but I thought I'd ask...thanks for the info

Archived