Decent hotel in Mobile?

bike1964

I am looking for a nice hotel for one night on Feb 8th. Preferrably one that has a free breakfast. The prices are outrageous. I can't find anything for under $100!!! This is Mobile, Al, not Miami!! What's the deal? I checked a Hampton Inn, a Drury Inn, Fairfield... they are all like $120-$150 for one night. Am I missing something? What's the big attraction in Mobile on Feb 8th?

Is there a town outside of Mobile that may have cheaper prices. We are driving down from St Louis, MO so we'll be coming from Hattisburg via 98. Jeez, I thought I would be able to find something for under a hundy!!! :confused: Any advice is appreciated.:)

I am looking for a nice hotel for one night on Feb 8th. Preferrably one that has a free breakfast. The prices are outrageous. I can't find anything for under $100!!! This is Mobile, Al, not Miami!! What's the deal? I checked a Hampton Inn, a Drury Inn, Fairfield... they are all like $120-$150 for one night. Am I missing something? What's the big attraction in Mobile on Feb 8th?

Is there a town outside of Mobile that may have cheaper prices. We are driving down from St Louis, MO so we'll be coming from Hattisburg via 98. Jeez, I thought I would be able to find something for under a hundy!!! :confused: Any advice is appreciated.:)

Well, you can't stay near downtown and the cruise terminal for under $100 and, most likely, not on the Eastern Shore. This may not be Miami, but it's a pretty nice city and anything downtown and to the East is in a pricier real estate market. I would suggest looking at hotels on I-65 in central Mobile...Ashbury Hotel, Baymont Inn, La Quinta, Days Inn, Quality Inn. Or further west in the Tillmans' Corner area which is at I-10 and Hwy 90.

You're lucky there aren't any parades scheduled on the 8th or you'd probably be looking at much higher prices.

Thanks for the reply. I have been there a few times, but I don't ever remember paying that much for a room. :o I guess the cost of "everything" has gone up. I did find a Comfort Suites in Daphne for $89.00. Is that in a nice area? Places to eat close by? Could you tell me how far that is from the cruise port.

Thanks in advance.:)

Thanks for the reply. I have been there a few times, but I don't ever remember paying that much for a room. :o I guess the cost of "everything" has gone up. I did find a Comfort Suites in Daphne for $89.00. Is that in a nice area? Places to eat close by? Could you tell me how far that is from the cruise port.

Thanks in advance.:)

I can't tell you much about the Comfort Suites but it IS in a nice area and very close to restaurants in Daphne and also very close to the Causeway where all the best seafood restaurants are...I'm partial to Felix's Fish Camp and Ed's Seafood Shed but the Original Oyster House is also a good one. It's only about 10 minutes to the cruise terminal...right across the bay. The Causeway runs parallel to I-10 across the bay...it's US 90/98. Here's a link to the Mapquest map for the area:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Daphne&state=AL&address=29450+North+Main+Street&zipcode=36526

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks again for all of your help. The Comfort Suites is located on main St in Daphne. I am assuming it's 90/98 once it hits the town it changes names.

Yeah...sort of. Comfort Suites is on a service road that parallels 98...it's called Main Street (not sure why...LOL) but you definitely can't miss it. It sits on the corner (if you can call it that) of Hwy 98 and I-10. The address that I plugged into the Mapquest link that I sent you was the addy of Comfort Suites so you can get an idea of where it's situated.

I booked the Ashbury Hotel and Suites for Jan. How does it compare to Comfort Inn?

Pat

I've never been to the Ashbury Hotel or the Comfort Suites...I live here so that's how I know about them at all. Ashbury Hotel is in central Mobile near I-65 and the Comfort Suites that the OP booked is across the bay in Daphne so they're in 2 totally different locations.

The Ashbury Hotel is conveniently located near plenty of restaurants, shopping, etc. so that's not a problem...I just can't comment on how the hotels compare.

It might be busy because of Mardis Gras. Mobile has a huge Mardis Gras, its just overshadowed by New Orleans. Try staying across in Daphne, AL. The Holiday Inn Express is my reccomendation. All of the motels in Daphne are clean and new. You are a quick ten minute trip from the ship.

I live in Mobile and I concur with cooking chick. I would stay in Spanish Fort. It's new clean and newer near shopping and restaurants. I clocked it across the bayway. It takes 7 minutes to the exit to cruiseship. I would much prefer it to the hotels at I65. Crazy traffic and older hotels. It also takes 15 minutes to the cruiseship exit. Have a great trip and welcome to Mobile!

Thanks again everyone. We originally the Microtel in Daphne for $87, but then I found this Comfort Suites for $89, and they have a full free breakfast and full size rooms. Plus, the entire hotel is non smoking.

I will look into that HI in Bellingrath Gardens with the free parking/shuttle. Parking is $75 for a 5 day cruise @ the port.:(

HI in Bellingrath Gardens is $109. $20 more. No free breakfast. $10 more for breakfast. Probably a $5 tip each way for the shuttle. So, if I stay and park free, I'll save $35. Not worth the wait for the shuttle. Like to do the self disembark and get out of dodge.;)

Thanks anyway.:)

This is right in the middle of Mardi Gras. You might check outside of downtown Mobile for better prices. Everything downtown is going to be very high at that time

Here is a Mardi Gras schedule & parades. Hotel rooms will be at a premium and maybe difficult to find. There will be parades all the way from Pensacola, Fl. to Galveston. In Mobile I believe they start Jan 24 - Feb 24. However, there are quite a few new hotels and motels in the area so you might be able to fine one, but pricey. Come early and enjoy our celebrations. They are quite fun and pretty much family oriented.

http://www.mobile.org/vis_mardigras_sched.php

HI Bellingingrath,Iwould not recommend anyway. It is a long way away and not so great neighborhood. You're on the right track.

You have a 36605 zip code and think that Tillman's Corner is a not so great neighborhood? Puhleeze!! As a matter of fact I don't think there is even a residence within a half mile of the hotel, to be considered in a neighborhood. I've been to conferences at this hotel and actually stayed there as well, once. It is a very nice hotel. Ever been in it?

You have a 36605 zip code and think that Tillman's Corner is a not so great neighborhood? Puhleeze!! As a matter of fact I don't think there is even a residence within a half mile of the hotel, to be considered in a neighborhood. I've been to conferences at this hotel and actually stayed there as well, once. It is a very nice hotel. Ever been in it?

LOLOL...not sure there are any hotels on DIP, but I don't think I'd want to stay the night in any of them if there were! ;)

For all you non-Mobilians, please excuse us...we're having a turf war here! :D

Thanks for everyones help. You are all very helpful. I guess this is what Southern Hospitality is all about. I have decided to stick with the Comfort Suites in Daphne. Thanks again, and sorry if I started a "turf war." :(

Last question. I promise. How far is the Comfort Inn in Daphne from the Lammerts with the "throwed" rolls (I have been hearing all about!!) in Foley?:)

Futuba951 and cookingchick there is no need to be nasty. I was not suggesting any hotel near DIP!!!! I live on Dog River in a very nice area so don't get your panties in a wad. I have been to that Holiday Inn. I also know personally of someone who has been robbed at gunpoint there. Sorry you had to be so rude! Most cruisers wish to be near the cruiseport. Tillmans's Corner is not. My recommendation was the hotels at Spanish Fort or Daphne. They are brand new and very close to excellent dining.

Thanks for everyones help. You are all very helpful. I guess this is what Southern Hospitality is all about. I have decided to stick with the Comfort Suites in Daphne. Thanks again, and sorry if I started a "turf war." :(

Last question. I promise. How far is the Comfort Inn in Daphne from the Lammerts with the "throwed" rolls (I have been hearing all about!!) in Foley?:)

It's probably about 35 miles.

Futuba951 and cookingchick there is no need to be nasty. I was not suggesting any hotel near DIP!!!! I live on Dog River in a very nice area so don't get your panties in a wad. I have been to that Holiday Inn. I also know personally of someone who has been robbed at gunpoint there. Sorry you had to be so rude! Most cruisers wish to be near the cruiseport. Tillmans's Corner is not. My recommendation was the hotels at Spanish Fort or Daphne. They are brand new and very close to excellent dining.

Apology accepted, but it was not necessary. :p

Probably According to mapquest it's app. 19.5 miles. You go I-10 east to Hwy 59 south and it's on your left after you go through Foley towards Gulf Shores. It's good if you like country cooking. Lot's of food. If you go there you might allow for sometime to drive to the beach at Gulf Shores. Jimmy Buffet's sister has a restaurant there named Lulu's. Lot's to do. You might even want to come back for a vacation! You might like the fresh gulf shrimp about 2 miles on the causeway runs parallel to I-10. Either Ed's Seafood Shed, voted most popular, or Felix's (little pricey), Original Oyster House. Have a great cruise and visit to Mobile!

Archived