playing in the waves

MOMtoTwins

ok this may be a stupid question but my husband only wants to spend the day at the beach if he can play in the waves. we are considering going to mr sanchos. are there decent waves there? I ask because when we went to cancun last year the waves were tiny and he was very bored.

if you know of a different beach you would recomend for playing in the waves that would be cool too.

thanks in advance for any advice

Unfortunately, not a lot of waves on the west side of Cozumel where the ships dock because of the reef...there are plenty of waves on the east side of the island, but the beaches are much rockier and it is not as crowded.

We spent the day at Mr Sanchos 12/24. The waves were not very big. It was just what we were looking for though and we had a great day. It was all inclusive and we had great service. When we arrived we were shown to the beach chairs and table with umbrella and chairs reserved for us. They provided us with towels, lockers and all the food and drinks we wanted. The restrooms were modern and clean. There was a pool but we didn't use it. It seemed to be used by the really young set. But we like the sea better. The beach was very pretty. The only extras were massages, snorkling equipment rental, shopping and parasailing. And we tipped our waiter. Julio was our only waiter all day and he was great.

First we had a drink then we went parasailing. We were the only ones on the boat. It was a lot of fun! We also rented snorkle equipment for 2 hours. That is plenty of time there. There really isn't that much to see. Bring some Cheerios from the breakfast buffet to feed the fish.

We bought snorkles from the ship for $5 and just used the rented goggles and fins.

Unfortunately, not a lot of waves on the west side of Cozumel where the ships dock because of the reef...there are plenty of waves on the east side of the island, but the beaches are much rockier and it is not as crowded.

I have to disagree on two points.

1. There are little to no waves on the West side because the island itself blocks the swells/wave that come from the Gulf of Mexico, NOT because of any reef. There can be waves on the West side if there the wind in strong enough from the North.

2. The beaches on the East side of the island have much softer sand because of all the wave action. I'd say they are not "much rockier". I do agree that they will be not crowded.

If you want waves in Cozumel, you really need to go to the East side of the island.

Coconuts on the East side. Note the waves and the sandy beach

coconuts2.jpg

eastside5.jpg

Turtle tracks in the sand

eastside3.jpg

We spent the day at Mr Sanchos 12/24. The waves were not very big. It was just what we were looking for though and we had a great day. It was all inclusive and we had great service. When we arrived we were shown to the beach chairs and table with umbrella and chairs reserved for us. They provided us with towels, lockers and all the food and drinks we wanted. The restrooms were modern and clean. There was a pool but we didn't use it. It seemed to be used by the really young set. But we like the sea better. The beach was very pretty. The only extras were massages, snorkling equipment rental, shopping and parasailing. And we tipped our waiter. Julio was our only waiter all day and he was great.

First we had a drink then we went parasailing. We were the only ones on the boat. It was a lot of fun! We also rented snorkle equipment for 2 hours. That is plenty of time there. There really isn't that much to see. Bring some Cheerios from the breakfast buffet to feed the fish.

We bought snorkles from the ship for $5 and just used the rented goggles and fins.

Hmmm...I just booked this all inclusive with Carrie (sorry to hijack the thread) and she told me snorkeling equipment was included in the price. Maybe I should bring the e-mail string with all the info just in case.

And Bruce-R...sorry, my bad. The places we stopped at on the east side were very, very rocky...but I'm sure not all of them are like that.

Archived