Dry Tortugas Snorkeling

gargoyle999

We will be in Key West for a few days before our cruise in Feb. One of the days there is going to be a couple cruise ships in port so we are going to take the Yankee Freedom over to Dry Tortugas for the day.

I have a couple questions about snorkeling there. Has anyone done it and how was it? We have our own snorkel gear and need to decide if it is worth bringing along. We'll only have about 5 hours on land I think. Is there enough time to explore the fort and snorkel?

Also, since we will be there in Feb how will the water be as far as temp? We are coming from Minnesota so it will probably feel warm no matter what but just thought I'd ask.

Hi, I have snorkeled the dry tortugas. It was wonderful.

First you need to find if you have enough time. Its like a full day tour. Leave early enough, but it takes about 2 plus hours to get out to the Fort. You can opt to do the tour of the fort. But if you love snorkeling...forget the tour, and hit the beach. The fort has a moat, and there is awesome snorkeling against the old fortress wall, on the outerside of the moat. No one swims inside the moat. I saw lots of awesome flourescent sponges, fish, black spiny sea urchin ect. Shells and here and there on the beach also. I have a fear of being out in deeper waters so I just snorkel the moat area and about depths of 8ft. More than enough to enjoy. I have been out twice. Once by catamaran and once by the ship. Both are great and serve a continental style bkfst. Buffet lunch is served also. Good and included in the cost of the day. Well worth every penny. My brother in law saw a sting ray jump and flip as we were departing to return. If you can check the hours...its a good 70 mile trip out from Key West. Maybe fly in a day early. I would its worth every bit of it. As far as water temps...do ask. They may have water jackets for your use. No charge for snorkel gear if I recall. We did bring our own though...

Archived