Pearl rescues five Cubans

merrygreen

It was late Friday afternoon, and I was in our aft suite, when I noticed the ship was slowing and turning around.

A short time later the captain announced he was stopping the ship to aid some people in a boat.

We went to deck seven, where quite a crowd had already gathered to see what was going on.

There were five men in a rowboat, one that was not very well built, bobbing in the waves.

A short time later, the ship sent out a crew in a Boston whaler, who took the men off their boat and returned them to the Pearl.

The captain later reported they had been in the water for eight days and were quite sunburned and dehydrated.

The men were taken to the ship's clinic, where they were taken care of with a good meal and plenty of water and liquids for their dehydration.

Due to U.S. immigration laws, the captain said the coast guard would have to pick up the men because we could not bring them into port.

Shortlly, after 9 p.m., a coast guard cutter pulled alongside the ship and put out a boat to pick up the men.

Once again a large crowd was on deck to watch the transfer.

The captain and crew of the Pearl did a fantastic job of rescuing these men and in transfering them to the coast guard.

This sad part is that the men are more than likely back in Cuba at this time because of the immigration laws.

Here is a pic I took from my Blackberry. It was quite a site to see. Everyone was clapping and cheering.

-1.jpg

pretty nice for a blackberry....i have some pics i'll post once I get settled in at home..

also, I must disagree in a way that it was a poorly made boat...for what they had to work with, at one point the boat almost hit the cruise ship and it looked like it hadn't taken on any water and had held a decent amount of supplies, they likely failed because the4y didn't think it would take 8 days to cross and possibly sickness/fatigue, the boat was quite impressive for what they had to work with

Archived