Scuba diving relative newbies - RCCL Liberty 1/31, St Martin - help please!

kmcg8r

Hi all -

This post is somewhat similar to an earlier one which was very helpful but I have a few specific questions on the dive trip we plan on taking. Thanks in advance to any advice!!

I have been certified since August '08.... have gone diving twice since then, but not in a couple of months. My boyfriend, who I will be cruising with, is (hopefully) completing his certification next week. So needless to say, we are both beginners. I've been reading a lot of helpful advice on this forum, how to behave, boat etiquette, etc. Specifically I am curious if anyone has done the RCCL excursion on Liberty of the Seas in St. Martin (I also assume, maybe, that Freedom and Independence use the same operator). We will be using their equipment (but bringing our own mask, fins, booties) and it says wetsuit is not included. We will be in St. Martin on Feb 3 I believe. I have a 3m shortie that I will bring, but wondering if my boyfriend will need one at all, not sure the temperature of the water then, but I imagine nice.

This will also be both of our first boat dives, one being a reef dive, one being a wreck (if weather permits), again neither which we've really done. As another poster mentioned, it would be perfect if we can plan on diving in Miami before the trip, but unfortunately that won't work. Any specific advice or recommendations on what to expect on a boat? The two ocean dives I've done (Ft. Pierce and Blue Heron) - we just walked into the ocean. From my understanding from reading some advice on boat dives, you have limited space to put your equipment together, etc. We will talk to the dive master immediately when we arrive, but just curious if anyone had any specific advice on this company (not even sure who they use) that RCCL uses.

I appreciate any help and sorry if this was long and rambling... trying to soak in everything I've read and get answers on a few things!

Thanks,

Kristen

Hi all -

This post is somewhat similar to an earlier one which was very helpful but I have a few specific questions on the dive trip we plan on taking. Thanks in advance to any advice!!

I have been certified since August '08.... have gone diving twice since then, but not in a couple of months. My boyfriend, who I will be cruising with, is (hopefully) completing his certification next week. So needless to say, we are both beginners. I've been reading a lot of helpful advice on this forum, how to behave, boat etiquette, etc. Specifically I am curious if anyone has done the RCCL excursion on Liberty of the Seas in St. Martin (I also assume, maybe, that Freedom and Independence use the same operator). We will be using their equipment (but bringing our own mask, fins, booties) and it says wetsuit is not included. We will be in St. Martin on Feb 3 I believe. I have a 3m shortie that I will bring, but wondering if my boyfriend will need one at all, not sure the temperature of the water then, but I imagine nice.

This will also be both of our first boat dives, one being a reef dive, one being a wreck (if weather permits), again neither which we've really done. As another poster mentioned, it would be perfect if we can plan on diving in Miami before the trip, but unfortunately that won't work. Any specific advice or recommendations on what to expect on a boat? The two ocean dives I've done (Ft. Pierce and Blue Heron) - we just walked into the ocean. From my understanding from reading some advice on boat dives, you have limited space to put your equipment together, etc. We will talk to the dive master immediately when we arrive, but just curious if anyone had any specific advice on this company (not even sure who they use) that RCCL uses.

I appreciate any help and sorry if this was long and rambling... trying to soak in everything I've read and get answers on a few things!

Thanks,

Kristen

Hi Kristen,

First off, no matter what I or others say, just wanting to learn shows you're a considerate diver and that goes a long way in my book........

Ok, St. Martin. Just be aware that St. Martin is "ocean diving". That means diving doesn't take place in a quiet cove but in the open ocean with waves, sometimes large waves which is why the wreck dive may be optional. But don't let this bother you. I did ocean dives when I first started out and hopefully my information below will demystify it for you.

As far as a wet suit for your boyfriend, generally a shorty 3mm is recommended but not necessary if he doesn't get too cold.

Now, etiquette for boat diving...

I was lucky to have an instructor who believed that boat diving etiquette needed to be taught as part of any certification so I'm passing along his advice along with some I've learned over the years. I'm going to take this from a timeline of going on an ocean excursion....

Getting to the site.

1)Never board a dive boat without asking permission. When you arrive on the dock usually the crew is making ready for the trip. Don't just jump aboard. Politely ask when boarding will occur and who will let you know (first thing you can do to get the captain to want to have you back).

2) Once aboard, go to an open station for setting up. If you're renting equipment let the crew know and ask where they want you and tell them what equipment you need.

3) After you have your equipment, begin setting up your equipment while on the dock. Don't know how many times I've seen someone want to talk to the crew then wait until they get to the site to find they forgot a mask or something else just to find out the operator had plenty on the dock. Also when packing your equipment remember to pack last equipment on, first equipment in the bag. Nothing worst than someone spreading their equipment all over the boat because they need something in the bottom of their bag. Rule of thumb, mask/gloves (if being used) in the heal of your fins, fins, heal up, and your regulator wrapped in your BCD or in a spare tank holder if next to your setup. Also secure your equipment at all times, even at the dock. Getting in the habit of turning your back to get something or leaving equipment on the bench will eventually guarantee that something you own will one day be at the bottom of the ocean. :) Also, weight belt on the floor (don't want to hit a wave and have that crash on someone's toe).

4) If you don't want something to get wet, kindly ask the captain or crew if there's a "dry spot" on the boat you can put your stuff (again keep it to a small an area as possible so others can use the space as well). Place any additional equipment away.

5) Put on your wet suit 1/2 on and dive boots if you're going to use them, while at the dock if possible. I've caught more than my share of newbies who were trying to do the "one legged stand" getting on their suit and shoes on in swells and waves.

6) If, when the captain or crew makes safety announcements, or gives out diving information, STOP whatever you're doing and give your full attention. If you're setting up and half listening you could miss some very important safety information, and I've seen Captains "call out" people who weren't paying attention which can be a bit embarrasing.

7) Under no condition should you feel embarrassed to tell the captain, crew or fellow divers if you have any issues (the proposed dive sounds too deep, you're a newbie so help where possible, ears aren't popping, etc.). There was a recent dive where the captain said we were going to do a 100ft. wall and no one on the boat really wanted to go that deep. We all said something and the Captain smilingly recommended an alternative dive (it's your dives, not his).

8) When your done setting up, find a comfortable place to sit and let others finish up.

At the site........

1) Slip on the rest of your wet suit as the captain anchors up.

2) Listen carefully to the site briefing. Ask any and all questions you have, no such thing as a dumb question.

3) Go to your station and get into your gear quickly and safely as possible. If the captain says no fins until you get to the stern, don't go putting them on, even if that's what "you always did in training". If you need help they'll help you. :)

4) Enter the water per the Captain's instructions. Something to note, you'd mentioned walking off the stern. The operators in the Caribbean typically use smaller boats so you'll more likely roll over the side. If this is the case, inflate your BCD, slide up and sit on the side, CROSS your fins (newbies have a tendency to just let them flop to the outside and I've seen some divers really get slapped by them as they rolled out), hold your mask/reg with one hand and gently slide over the side. When you hit the water, resurface, run the hand holding your mask down the back of your head to ensure your strap didn't come off. Then give the OK sign (fist on top of your head) even if it looks like no one's looking and move to where ever they told you to during the briefing (stern, bow line, away from the boat, etc.).

5) Check your bouyancy and adjust if necessary (call up to the boat and let a crew know the weighting's not right). They'll hand down weights for your BCD pocket or have you hand up your weight belt if it's too heavy.

6) Meet up with your buddy and enjoy the dive......

After the dive............

1) When you surface again give the "diver OK" sign.

2) Inflate your BCD and keep your regulator in your mouth (or snorkel if running low on air). Don't just spit out your reg, nothing worst than a rough wave splashing over you causing you to drink the ocean.

3) If their's a tow line, queue up on it for exiting the water

4) In getting out, whether it's on a platform or ladder, always stay at least 6ft. off as other divers get out. People slip and you don't want the platform or a diver crashing down on you.

5) When it's your turn, swim up and grasp the ladder with one hand and remove your fins and any other gear mentioned as part of the briefing. Some operators want fins, some want fins/weights, some want fins/weights and BCD. But always keep your reg/mask/or snorkel in your mouth until you're either on board or are asked to hand them up.

6) Be careful on climbing up and move away from the stern as quickly/safely as possible so others can exit the water.

Between dives..............

1) Collect your equipment from the stern once you've removed your equipment and you won't interfere with the crew getting others on board.

2) Break down and set up your next tank right after you're on board. There will be less people around and it's a lot easier while stopped than while the boat's moving to the next location. And tuck away your equipment so others have room.

4) Fill out minimal log book info, air in/out, water temp, max depth, time in/out, location (the rest you can fill out when you get back).

3) Find a place to sit, get a drink, food and talk about all the cool stuff you saw.

4) If you have any questions, experienced equipment problems, etc. tell someone so they can work on these while in transit.

5) When you arrive at the second site, repeat "At the site....... steps above"

Last out of the water and exiting the boat.....

1) When you get out of the water (following the steps above), break down your equipment, putting your equipment in your bag as you do this and ask where to put any rented equipment. Then place your bag out of the way.

2) Find a place to sit and fill out your log book as mentioned above for the second site

3) Get a drink, food and socialize

4) When you get back to the dock, stay seated as the crew readies to dock. When the all clear is given, collect your already packed gear, thank and tip your crew and captain (traditionally unless specified otherwise the Captain is given the tip to spread amoung the crew) and enjoy your trip back to the ship.

I promise if you do these steps the Captain will smile and tell you to come back, and mean it. :D

Randall

I have been certified since 1998, but have relatively few dives under my belt. DH just got certified over the summer. I have done a few boat dive trips, and DH had only done Discover scuba on a boat prior to his certification. When we went on our last cruise, and dived in 2 ports, I made sure to tell the divemaster that we weren't very experienced/have a lot of dives under our belts. We do this to make sure that they know what our experience is so they know up front. I feel that doing this helps in our confidence, knowing that they may have an extra eye on us. I have never had a negative response from the divemaster in doing this.

Archived