Jane wanna snorkel, Tarzan does'nt, which area GC?

marska

While on Grand Cayman (2 weeks from now...YES!) I want to snorkel. This will be my first snorkel experience. I am very comfortable in the water and a strong swimmer- my "Tarzan" will not snorkel as he is UNcomfortable in the water as he has had bad water /swimming experiences .

Any suggestions as to where to go on GC so he can enjoy a beach and some safe low key water / walkng on the beach time and I can experiment with snorkeling? I know sandy beaches do not = good snorkeling and I'm trying to find a compromise...

Ideas anyone?

While on Grand Cayman (2 weeks from now...YES!) I want to snorkel. This will be my first snorkel experience. I am very comfortable in the water and a strong swimmer- my "Tarzan" will not snorkel as he is UNcomfortable in the water as he has had bad water /swimming experiences .

Any suggestions as to where to go on GC so he can enjoy a beach and some safe low key water / walkng on the beach time and I can experiment with snorkeling? I know sandy beaches do not = good snorkeling and I'm trying to find a compromise...

Ideas anyone?

Try Sunset House. It has a great "house reef" with easy access for shore snorkeling. There's an on-site dive shop with all the information on where to go and what to see. And your Tarzan can hang out at the ladder into the water, the pool or "My bar" the open air bar next to the water. Sunset House is a 5 min. or less taxi ride from Georgetown (in the opposite direction from 7-mile beach) and they will either have cabs there or the dive center can call you one when you're ready to go back. Their website with details is: www.sunsethouse.com.

Randall

I did Sunset house a few years ago. Food and Drink were excellent. The snorkeling area was a dead zone. A few fish yes, but all coral dead.

I think a better choice is Cemetary Reef. Great snorkeling and a beach, but no restaurant, facilities etc. Also I'm not sure I'd want to snorkel Cemetary without a buddy with me.

Eden rock is closer to the port than Sunset. I thought snorkeling was a bit better here.

Mike

I checked the website for Sunset House but don't see any mention of snorkelling, only diving. We are also interested in trying snorkelling for the first time and I'd like to try something close to shore. Can we just book it when we get there or should it be done in advance?

Thanks for any info.

I checked the website for Sunset House but don't see any mention of snorkelling, only diving. We are also interested in trying snorkelling for the first time and I'd like to try something close to shore. Can we just book it when we get there or should it be done in advance?

Thanks for any info.

Hi,

They actually do a large snorkel business (probably from all the recommendations from this board). Either e-mail them or call (it's only a couple of dollars) and talk to the dive center (especially if you want to rent equipment, hire a snorkel guide or want to rent a day locker). If you have your own equipment, just show up. They're very friendly at the shop and can point out interesting things you should look for on the reef.

Randall

Archived