Jane wanna Snorkel, Tarzan doesn't, where in G.C. do you recommend?

marska

I posted this under "Scuba and Snorkel" but thought more people might see this here...

While on Grand Cayman (2 weeks from now...YES!) I want to snorkel. This will be my first snorkel experience. I am very comfortable in the water and a strong swimmer- my "Tarzan" will not snorkel as he is UNcomfortable in the water as he has had bad water /swimming experiences .

Any suggestions as to where to go on GC so he can enjoy a beach and some safe low key water / walkng on the beach time and I can experiment with snorkeling? I know sandy beaches do not = good snorkeling and I'm trying to find a compromise...

Ideas anyone?

Cemetary Beach - If you want to snorkel, the best places on Grand Cayman are at Cemetary Reef, about 15 minutes drive from the pier and about 3-4 miles north ... a bit too far to walk. Cemetery Reef is a very popular spot for both snorkeling and sun tanning with trees for shade. This beautiful location will offer the best of both worlds, a beach entrance and good snorkeling nearby. You get dropped off pretty much in the middle of a neighborhood and you walk down a sand path beside a cemetery. The beach is on the backside of the cemetery and pretty much deserted. It has a small marine park right off the beach.

No facilities here, bring something to drink.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandy beaches do not necessarily mean bad snorkeling. It's what's in the water that matters. If there are rocks or reefs in the water the snorkeling should be pretty good.

When we were on GC for our Honeymoon in 2004 I snorkeled everyday off of 7 mile beach. My favorite lagoon was across the street from where Indies Suites is located. In 2004 it was a hotel I hear now it's where the Med students live. Have your taxi driver take you there and arrange for a time to be picked up. There were beach chairs there on the NICE sandy beach. There was a bar there for drinks and snacks as well.

Archived