Alaska with 2 boys 4 and 8

irwins0001

I am in the early stages of planing a cruise this summer to Alaska. It will be my wife, myself, and our 2 boys ages 4 and 8. They have only cruised with Disney before and love the children's programs. Is there a line that does a 7 night Alaskian trip, has good food, and good programs for young children?

Thanks

We did a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska on Diamond Princess in June 2007. At the time our oldest daughter was 10 and the younger about to turn 4. They primarily spent time in the kids club on sea days but both enjoyed the experience. Our older daughter made friends on the first day that she hung out with at the kids club. The younger did a lot of Alaskan-inspired crafts that she brought home. On the day that we were sailing around the glaciers a park ranger was in the kids club which provided an educational component. With respect to the food - we had previously sailed on Disney and found that the food on Disney was far better than on Princess. Would be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

For children ages 4 and 8- I would pick Celebrity. I have done all the lines now and I have to say that the youth program on Celebrity is the best I have encountered. The kids are polite and well-behaved. I never had to worry about my son being hit- that was simply not acceptable behavior and kids were booted out if that occurred- period.

The program is fun and action-packed and my son never wanted to leave. I also think for viewing Alaska- Celebrity ships are better than Princess. But I have done Princess twice to Alaska and had a good time.

We did an Alaska cruise last summer with our boys ages 9, 7, and 1. They actually never went to the kids club, so I can't comment. It's very port intensive. We were off early and back late.

We picked our cruise based on the ports. We were on the Coral Princess southbound from Whitter to Vancouver and went to College Fjord, Glacier Bay National Park, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.

I would personally say that Glacier Bay is a must see. It was amazing.

You'll see more and be able to spend some time before or after the cruise in Alaska if you do a one way.

As far as the food, it was our first cruise, so I can't compare. Only that my nine year old loved the shrimp cocktail, the mango soup, the tenderloin, the crab legs and the lobster. Champagne taste. ;)

I can answer more questions if you have them.

IMG_0068.jpg.7ef95ac59c996388550eea3e35568217.jpg

We were on the Coral Princess in May, 2007. We had 20 extended family members and my grand daughter 4 and 9 were the youngest. They loved the Kid's Zone but there also were not a lot of children on board since school was not out for everyone. When we were not in port that is where they would ask to go. The crew was wonderful with the kids.

As far as food, they mostly ate at the buffet as they are extremely picky. The kid zone does have nights where they can eat dinner there. For adults I found the food to be wonderful.

Be sure to also check out the Port of Call boards for Alaska. Lots of information for cruise lines, excursions, ect.

Happy Cruising!:)

I sailed Radiance of the Seas in the Caribbean and was very disappointed. There were no places for viewing the ocean (and in your case Alaska). I would not do RCL for Alaska.

I would do Celebrity. Princess ships are very beautiful but aren't the best ships for viewing scenery.

I've been on every line now- take my word for it.

I sailed Radiance of the Seas in the Caribbean and was very disappointed. There were no places for viewing the ocean (and in your case Alaska). I would not do RCL for Alaska.

I am confused by your statements regarding Radiance. I have also sailed her and found the exterior to be mainly glass and to have excellent opportunities to view the ocean, more so than other ships. Are you referring to outside decks or the interior?

Aug of 07 we took 6 kids to Alaska on NCL Pearl, out of Seattle. We did cruise through Glacier Bay. Our kids ages were 6 - 16. They had a blast. The little ones really liked the kids club, the older ones were in the teen club, and met lots of kids and still keep in touch with them. We had bowling (fee) rock climbing, water slides (kids wouldn't get off them) They even had buffet area just for the kids in the one dining room. We love NCL because we could eat when we were hungry, didn't have to wait till our time. With the resort casual attire, we didn't have to buy and pack clothes that our kids would never wear again.

I'm confused by your statement too. The Radiance class has TONS of glass and plenty of places to view out to sea. Plus I like that you have free access to the helicopter pad at the bow of the ship for great views when entering ports.

I was very disappointed with Radiance of the Seas. It has the same hull and the Celebrity Millenium Class ships and that's why I sailed her. The good things about the cruise were the crew, the cabin and the food. I especially liked the buffet area and the variety there.

But for me, I really like to see out and I never found a good viewing spot. You could go to the nightclub but it isn't at the bow- so you are looking at the pool area- not the open sea. There is a walking track but you are glassed in there. So that was disappointing. For the Caribbean it is no big deal but for Alaska I want to see the scenery.

On Celebrity you could look out from anywhere in the buffet area, have an unobstructed (no glass in the way) view from the top deck and walking track, and there is a great view from the top deck bow nightclub. I think Celebrity has cornered the market for those that are sea-gazers.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Alaska cruise with Princess when my youngest was 3 and oldest were 9 and they absolutely loved the kids program and pretty much everything about the cruise. The youngest wanted to be in the kids room the whole time and came home with something she had done almost everytime I picked her up. The 9 year olds had a cooking class with the head chef ($10) and made a fruit pizza. We have experienced the kids program on Royal Carribean and although their security for dropping off and picking up your child was more visible, my youngest hardly brought anything with her so I don't really know what she did all day. The older ones played a game which was kind of like a dodgeball looking game and it seems like that is what they did all day. I was not impressed with RC, but have been on several Princess boats and have thoroughly enjoyed the kids program and the kids room staff on each boat.

We did a 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Alaska on Diamond Princess in June 2007. At the time our oldest daughter was 10 and the younger about to turn 4. They primarily spent time in the kids club on sea days but both enjoyed the experience. Our older daughter made friends on the first day that she hung out with at the kids club. The younger did a lot of Alaskan-inspired crafts that she brought home. On the day that we were sailing around the glaciers a park ranger was in the kids club which provided an educational component. With respect to the food - we had previously sailed on Disney and found that the food on Disney was far better than on Princess. Would be glad to answer any specific questions you may have.

I agree. We did Alaska on the Coral Princess when my kids were 8 and 9 (our first cruise--the kids weren't sure if they even wanted to go) and they had an amazing time in the kids camp.

We are taking the RCCL Serenade this summer. It has lots of activities for the kids and is a beautiful ship (from all the pics I have seen). It is a Radiance class, but does have the solarium. It is a RT out of Vancouver. Our kids chose not to go with us, they would rather stay and play at home with Grandma and Grandpa. I would check this one out too. I heard HAL and Celebrity were rather boring for the kids so I would look twice before deciding on those.

It really depends on the age of the kids- I have sailed both Holland America and Celebrity with my now 8 year old and he was never bored. In fact, apart from Disney, he rates Celebrity Millenium as his favorite ship. We have done 6 Celebrity cruises and the youth program is top notch. He never wants to leave!

Having said that- there isn't as much for teens to do on Celebrity or Holland America. I think they may prefer a bigger, more casual atmosphere- like Royal Caribbean, Carnival or NCL- where there will be more teens to hang out with and a younger vibe.

Archived