Taxi Driver Tip

We are planning on taking a taxi from the port to Baie Rouge to go swimming. I'd like to arrange it for the driver to come back at a pre-arranged time. So I have a couple of questions.

1) Do you normally tip the driver or is that already in the pre-arranged price of the trip? I take cabs all the time in NYC and always tip. I just want to be prepared.

2) Also, is there ever a problem with someone not coming back? And if there is, can we call for a cab from one of the restaurants?

Thanks!

Baie Rouge is well off the beaten path.

If you can find a taxi to take you there, make specific arrangements for your pickup time, and do not pay until they return you to the cruise facility or Philipsburg. This is a normal practice.

If they don't show up for your return, either of the beach bars should be able to call for a taxi, but it could take a while for one to show up, so plan accordingly. Also, you're pretty much at their mercy for the price of the ride.

gary

And yes, do add a tip to the quoted fare.

Hmm, your post has me rethinking my choice of beach! Thanks for the reply.

I think we will try to get out there, tip nicely for the trip there and hopefully that will encourage the driver to return.

We were planning on leaving around the 2 p.m. hour so that should give us about 5 hours to get back to the ship should there be any problems. Hopefully there won't be and we can do a little shopping on the way back. Of course if we miss the shopping we don't be disappointed.

Thanks for your help. And I can't wait to see your pictures when I get home. They are blocked at the office.

Bay Rouge is a great beach, not too crowded. a couple of beach bars/restuarants. You won't see the cruiseship crowd there. I would not try to hire a cab at the dock- these guys are dispatched and are not likely to caome back for you. Expect to pay $25 each way. I would go into town either by cab or water taxi and then hire a cab there. Do not pay or tip him until he comes back for you and drops you off at the pier

Bay Rouge is a great beach, not too crowded. a couple of beach bars/restuarants. You won't see the cruiseship crowd there. I would not try to hire a cab at the dock- these guys are dispatched and are not likely to caome back for you. Expect to pay $25 each way. I would go into town either by cab or water taxi and then hire a cab there. Do not pay or tip him until he comes back for you and drops you off at the pier

Thanks. That's good advice. I really hate crowded beaches so I want to avoid the cruise ship crowds. There are 4 ships in port that day and I'm afraid Orient beach would be packed. I don't mind paying for the taxi but I do want someone to come back and get us! :D

Archived