DH dives, I don't... which port is better for diving?

amandaepperson21

For DHs college graduation we're going on a cruise. I want to surprise him by booking a diving excursion. He'd never expect it because I don't dive. I've noticed that dive excursions offer "observer" spots. I'm guessing I'd just be sitting on a boat, right? If that's the case I think I'll just save my $40 and hang out on the ship until he gets done. So I guess I'll pick whichever port seems to be of least interest to me.

The cruise we're taking goes to the following places-

St. Thomas

Antigua (I really super duper want to go to the baths, so this one isn't really an option)

Nassau

San Juan (5pm-midnight... so not an option)

Tortola

So basically it's either St. Thomas, Nassau, or Tortola.

Which do you guys think would be the best place to dive? He's only gone diving off FL thus far... he's only been certified for a year or so. Any suggestions on things I could do alone while he's diving (aside from staying on the ship... which wouldn't be horrible, I could always hit the spa)?

I haven't dived in all three ports, but I did enjoy diving in St. Thomas greatly. We used Admiralty Dive center, and I highly recommend them if you choose for him to dive in St. Thomas. www.admiraltydive.com Great personal attention, good rental equipment, small boat, they pcked us up at the pier and dropped us off at the pier after the dive Both DH ans I are novice divers - DH brand new certification this summer. They were great with him and I and was there every step of the way, making us feel very comfortable in the water.

For DHs college graduation we're going on a cruise. I want to surprise him by booking a diving excursion. He'd never expect it because I don't dive. I've noticed that dive excursions offer "observer" spots. I'm guessing I'd just be sitting on a boat, right? If that's the case I think I'll just save my $40 and hang out on the ship until he gets done. So I guess I'll pick whichever port seems to be of least interest to me.

The cruise we're taking goes to the following places-

St. Thomas

Antigua (I really super duper want to go to the baths, so this one isn't really an option)

Nassau

San Juan (5pm-midnight... so not an option)

Tortola

So basically it's either St. Thomas, Nassau, or Tortola.

Which do you guys think would be the best place to dive? He's only gone diving off FL thus far... he's only been certified for a year or so. Any suggestions on things I could do alone while he's diving (aside from staying on the ship... which wouldn't be horrible, I could always hit the spa)?

I think Tortola has the Baths - not Antigua.

So you'd want to choose between St. Thomas, Antigua, and Nassau.

I think Tortola has the Baths - not Antigua.

So you'd want to choose between St. Thomas, Antigua, and Nassau.

Yup, it is Tortola that has the Baths, so I think your best choice would be St. Thomas and AdmiraltyDive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, we dove at several of the ports you are going to stop at. Tortola was awesome if you like wrecks, the wreck of the Rhone is located there. It is by far the most famous wreck in the Caribbean! Sunk in a hurricane over 100 years ago. Google it and check it out.

I would not recommend St. Thomas, there is a good chance of bad visibility and not the best diving (comparatively speaking, since St. Thomas is still awesome as opposed to most nonCaribbean spots).

One good idea would be to book a shark dive in Nassau with Stuart's Cove. That way you could stay in the boat as a "bubble watcher", with the water so clear you can watch the 20-30 reef sharks as your significant other dives with them. My wife was a bubble watcher the first time I did it, but by the second dive she was trying to borrow equipment to get into the water!

I haven't dove Antigua, but scheduled to do one in November. Stopped there and did a snorkel/rum boat trip, which surprised me. We usually dive every port, but NCL didn't offer a dive, we had dove 4 straight days, and it was a long taxi ride to a good dive shop.

Hope this helps ! John

Admiralty in St. Thomas is the ticket. Your husband should contact them, and if he's an experienced diver, the hospital ship is really a special dive. The Rhone in Tortola is cool, especially if you've seen the movie "The Deep", but its nothing compared to the hospital ship, and of course, you need to see the Baths. As for Antigua, just off Nelson's Dockyard, there is some superb canyon diving, but my contact there went out of business, so I can't suggest anyone to you.;)

Admiralty gets good reviews on St. Thomas.

Another option on St. Thomas might be Coki Beach, if you want to go together, but the diving probably won't be as good. The dive shop there is on the beach, and is right next to Coral World. http://www.cokidive.com/cruise_pax.htm

Here's a coupon for buy 1 get one half price admission to Coral World until March 31. http://coralworldvi.com/hot-deals.html

If you are gong to do Nassau, the shark dive sounds awesome from the folks that have done it. The fish had the day off when we were there... so next time sharks.

We had a really, really bad experience on Antigua. Never again.

More information is available on my website about all three spots.

Have a great time!

Wendy

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

Archived