The Upsell Fairy STILL Exists!

beachbride09

FH (future husband) and I received a call from the Upsell Fairy today!!

We were offered a Courtyard Villa and we're heartbroken that we had to decline!

But, I'm excited to know that the Upsell Fairy does exist AND we received a call as this is our very first cruise with NCL (and cruise in general for me).

But, I'm excited to know that the Upsell Fairy does exist AND we received a call as this is our very first cruise with NCL (and cruise in general for me).

Call back and take it! You won't regret it.

So sorry that you couldn't take the upsell! Just a few questions...

What sailing are you on? January 18 sailing

Did you book directly through NCL? Yes

What kind of room do you currently have?

AE Aft

Call back and take it! You won't regret it.
Well, the number they offered would have meant that we needed to choose between: our wedding ceremony or the villa. We choose the wedding. :p

Just curious... if they offer you the upsell do you have to agree to it right then or do you have time to think it over and call them back?

You can think it over and call back... but if in the next call they make the offer is taken and there are no more rooms in that category then you are out of luck.

Beachbride you'll love the Aft AE that was our cabin last year, it's great.

We booked and Aft Mini this year but gave it up yesterday for an upsell to an AB. So yes the upsell fairy is alive and well.

Only problem is once you experience the suite life you can never travel in less.

Yes you can call back, my dh was sleeping when she called and asked if I could call her back in a few minutes, plus I didnt want her hearing our discussion about our economic status as to whether we could swing the upsell. She said she would hold it for 30 minutes and then call me back and she did.

Congrats on your wedding and enjoy your cruise

We are going to reserve a balcony stateroom on the Gem and hope for an upsell. Are upsells mainly to repeat customers? (We are newbies) Also, if you book through one of the discount operators like cruise.com, do you still get offered upsells?

How much did they offer it to you for? Did you ask if they would take less? I have read that they often take less if you throw it at them. Congratulations, best wishes and enjoy!

We are going to reserve a balcony stateroom on the Gem and hope for an upsell. Are upsells mainly to repeat customers? (We are newbies) Also, if you book through one of the discount operators like cruise.com, do you still get offered upsells?

Based upon my own experience and from reading upsell threads here on CC, I offer you the following.

Upsells seem to roll down hill. The higher end suites are offered even higher end ones, and so on down the line. How one booked, (TA or direct with NCL) doesn't seem to matter all that much in the long run; however, in the short run (the last few days), I suspect they try folks who can give a quick answer, over those where it will take hours rather than minutes.

I know folks will get on here and say they have been upsold, or offered to be upsold, through online TA's, so to those folks, please post how far out the offer was made, and what category, to what category.

Al

Beachbride,

Don't give up on that upsell yet. We turned down their first 2 offers for an upsell on our Gem cruise and took the third which was $700 less per person than the first offer.

They got in touch with us once a week for 3 weeks, with the first offer made on March 4 for the April 5 cruise. The offer we accepted was made on March 25. If you received the offer by email, you can let them know you would be interested if the price drops. You can always turn it down again if it's too high. They contacted my both by email and phone.

Good luck and congrats on your wedding.

Jackie

Hudson215 we booked our 1st cruise through that company and we did receive an upsell. They contacted the rep we were using 2 weeks before we cruised.

We had been booked in a balcony and upsold to and AE.

For our upgrade yesterday we did negotiate the price somewhat. They gave me 1 price I told them what we could afford and they felt it was reasonable and accptd it. Dont know if they will be offering many more on the Jan 25th sailing it has been pulled off the website and per my PCC the cruise is overbooked.

On this cruise we were booked in an AF mini and upsold to an AB

Thanks for all the feedback. Is it always good to take an upgrade? It seems like it is often for the deck right below the exercise room or pool. If you ask the agent are they honest about it? I mean, I can look at the deck plans, but sometimes its hard to line things up.

I agree the only reason we took the AB even though it is below the spa is that it is directly below the treatment rooms and check in totally opposite side from the weight rooms.

I'm more upset about giving up my aft view, DH says we need to try new things and my DS who is 7 is excited that he can ask the butler for ice cream any time he wants, lol

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone!

FH and I are very excited and can not wait - to live the 'suite' life for 5 glorious days!

to answers a few questions...

The up sell was offered for $760 total - we declined because that is our wedding budget - if we weren't getting married we would have accepted the offer; I asked FH if he tried to negotiate and he said he didn't - so, leave it up to men for not asking more questions (or something along those lines) :p

hudson215: this is our very first cruise with NCL; so I don't believe there is any rhymn or reason to their upsells.

The phone call came from "unknown" so we didn't have a phone number to call back - I guess we would of had to ask for a phone if we were able to negotiate.

I just checked out your cruise and there are 3 A3's, 1 A4, 2 AA's, 1 A1, 4 AD's, 1 AC and many AB's still available, so I wouldn't be surprised if they call you again. They might not, but you still have 9 days left, so good luck. The offer should be much better and you and your DF should discuss how much you would be willing to spend on an upsell if you want to give up your AE.

Good luck...

Jackie

Archived