Any questions for a Solstice traveler?

bslund

We are going on the January 11th Solstice cruise. If there are any specific questions you have for us regarding the ship, ports, excursions, food, etc. I'll be monitoring this until Friday night. Just jot them down as a reply to this and I'll make it a point to try and get you an answer. I note that many people review cruises and post stuff, but if there is anything specific you would like to know, give me a reply. I'll post the answers around January 20th or so.

We are going on the January 11th Solstice cruise. If there are any specific questions you have for us regarding the ship, ports, excursions, food, etc. I'll be monitoring this until Friday night. Just jot them down as a reply to this and I'll make it a point to try and get you an answer. I note that many people review cruises and post stuff, but if there is anything specific you would like to know, give me a reply. I'll post the answers around January 20th or so.

That's very kind of you to offer to assist those of us who might be anxious or curious about a future Solstice trip. This is just a stab in the dark, but if you happen to be near the front of the ship as a cabin location or talk to anybody that is, there hasn't been much information posted yet on the ocean view cabins across the front on decks 7 & 8, not the family view suites, but the regular ocean views facing out the front. If you happen to see or hear anything about them, please post. I'm just trying to get an idea of the "feel" of those rooms as far as brightness, window view, unusual vibrations or rocking, etc. Might help me decide if my choice was good or bad - I think I'm in 8102 later this summer.

Thanks for the offer! joel

I am a very short person and am curious about the position of the showerhead in a CC stateroom. Since they are not handheld models, anything that is too high is a problem. Please try to check this out and get a photo. Thanks so much. We are doing a BtoB in November and I need to be prepared.

I am curious as to whether the mattresses that are used on the beds on Solstice are any different than the one I had on Mercury in 2005. And if you've been on HAL, I'd appreciate a comparison with HAL's mattresses.

I don't care about linens or other bedding. It's just that my husband has back problems and we've been sailing exclusively on HAL because of its beds. I'd love to broaden our options to include X as well, only I've been hesitating because of the mattress issue.

For comparison: We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home. Hubby is fine on a Westin Heavenly Bed or the new beds at Hilton and Hyatt hotels.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. I realize this is a picky issue but it's important to me, and I already know everything else about X is fine for what we're looking for. Thanks.

If you're in a balcony cabin ,I know this is strange, but please have someone stand(dressed..LOL) in the shower and take a picture of them....I need to know if hubby will be ok with a smaller shower and this is the only I can get an idea of the size of it. THX

If you're in a balcony cabin ,I know this is strange, but please have someone stand(dressed..LOL) in the shower and take a picture of them....I need to know if hubby will be ok with a smaller shower and this is the only I can get an idea of the size of it. THX

Smaller shower............What are you talking about? Solstice's showers are quite large. I'm a wide body and I had plenty of room. Just read another review from someone 6'5" and they were comfortable.

This is a very generous offer. I suggest you just enjoy yourself, but here's one question I would like answered. "Which inside cabins have 2 chairs instead of the advertised sofa, and are configured differently than pictured in the brochures and on the website?" That is to say they are not the same as most of the balcony cabins. Some are, but some aren't and when booking an inside how is one to know what the configuratiion will be. The hotel manager Simon Weir may be the only person who has this information.

I agree with everyone that it is so nice of you to take the time to answer some of our questions. I am sailing on the Equinox and have heard from some that my cabin,which has a balcony, might have an obstructed view.this would upset me alot. My cabin number is 7198. If you have the time please check it out and if not that is fine. It is most important that you just enjoy yourself.

Have a blast!

Smaller shower............What are you talking about? Solstice's showers are quite large. I'm a wide body and I had plenty of room. Just read another review from someone 6'5" and they were comfortable.

We have always had a suite (and they have a huge bathroom with a sizable shower) but to save money we are going with a balcony room and I just want to make sure that my DH is comfortable for the ten days....We have never cruised on X so that's why I was asking..

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some answers to your questions...I'll have to post the pictures of the cabin question (deck 7 at front of ship) in a second and third post as cruise critic space won't allow them one one post. I've included a picture of the shower in this one. My wife is 5' 4" so this should give you an idea of the height. We were traveling with a nephew who is 6' 2" and he had no problem with the shower or bed. Beds are very comfortable. Pillows are nice. Room 7198 will not be obstructed. It is in an area that is flat and away from where the boat "pooches" in. It's above the theater but that should be no problem noise wise. I did not get into the inside cabins so I do not know which ones have a couch versus two chairs; sorry. The cabins look small when you first enter them but after an hour or so you realize that they are a good size without problems getting around. Balconies are fine. We spent a bunch of time on ours.

For jisgrig, pictures of cabin 7104 are in the next 2 replies.

1851714391_showerthumbnail.jpg.2379731b6761ded88c1a21c970b80f87.jpg

thank you so very much for checking out room 7198 for me.That was very thoughtful of you to take the time on your cruise to check things out for me. The information is greatly appreciated. I hope you had a wonderful vacation.

I am curious as to whether the mattresses that are used on the beds on Solstice are any different than the one I had on Mercury in 2005. And if you've been on HAL, I'd appreciate a comparison with HAL's mattresses. ... For comparison: We sleep on a Tempurpedic at home. Hubby is fine on a Westin Heavenly Bed or the new beds at Hilton and Hyatt hotels....

Here are some answers to your questions. ... Beds are very comfortable. Pillows are nice. ....

bslund: Thank you very much for responding to so many people's questions about Solstice. I realize you have been inundated with requests for info and you cannot possibly respond to all of them in full.

If I may be permitted to impose one more time, however, I would really appreciate it if you could elaborate just a bit on your characterization of the beds as "very comfortable." Unfortunately, what is "very comfortable" for most people often does not work for people such as my DH who have serious back problems. :( Cruises are particularly difficult because unlike a hotel resort, it's very hard to just check out early if the beds don't work for him.

For that reason, I would be really grateful if there's anything more specific that you can add - for example, is it a pillowtop mattress? how does it compare to the mattresses at Westin, Hilton, and Hyatt hotels? That's the level of info we would need to have before we could book a cruise on Solstice. Thank you so much!

Archived