Why do some people hate cruises?

AtSea08

I'm guessing you are retired. My DH is still working (and will be for at least another 15 years). He can't get off work long enough for the several days it would take us to drive there, plus exploring time, plus time to drive back. The cruise will let us sample Alaska without worrying about transportation and only take one week of DH's vacation time.

You will certainly see more of Alaska, but the cruise lets us see one part of Alaska within our time constraints.

(I am working on DH to buy another RV, but probably still won't drive it to Alaska. Maybe we can do some exploring in Canada, though.)

Yes we are retired so we do have that advantage & luxury... :)

I didn't mean to come off cruising to Alaska was a waste of time or anything like that. That wasn't my intent at all. I only mentioned Alaska because the DW and I are currently discussing this trip so it was fresh in my mind... The first thing we decided was that we were not going to do it on a ship. Another advantage we have we're closer to Alaska than every lower 48 resident but I was amazed on the number of people who make the trek up there from all over down there... even from the East coast and Florida. :eek: If we were restrained by a work schedule we probably would be doing the same as you. :)

We really enjoyed a trip near Wyoming to Deadwood, Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse etc. :)

Wyoming is a great place to live. Alberta sounds lovely too, from occasionall pictures I've seen of it. My condolences on being near the Stampede, our annual rodeo is "The Daddy of 'em All" and we try not to have to go into town that week. ;)

Funny you should mention the Stampede. We haven't gone for many years now... Way too commercialized for us.

Last July we stopped at a campground in Ontario where a nice gentleman who saw our Alberta plates walked up to say... "We're heading to Alberta for the Stampede!" I replied. "we left you room because we left Alberta to escape the Stampede!" :D :D :D

A good laugh by all. :)

Edited by hel0013